Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odor problem with my Shi tzu

lady31362
February 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone,

So glad I found this site. I am noticing a problem with my male Shi tzu...not sure how to spell it...anyway, I just had him groomed last friday, which was a week ago, and he already stinks! Not typical dog smell, or body odor smell, just a stinch. I am wondering if my changing his dog food has done this. I can tell a hug difference since I changed food....he is now on Science Diet...Nature's Best. Any ideas as to why the smell?

Thanks so much!

Laurie :confused:

aussiemedogs
February 18th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I would check to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection, (see if his ears smell), sometimes this happens after being groomed. (water in the ears)

Anal Glands? Food? Teeth? All of these will create an odor.
Good Luck :rolleyes:

mona_b
February 19th, 2005, 02:20 AM
I agree with what aussie has said.

As for the dog food,can I suggest a better food then Science Diet.This is not a very good food.If you look on the ingredients,you will notice that corn is in the first five ingredients.A no-no for dogs.

Here are a few of the premium ones.

Wellness
Innove
Canidae
Chick Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I would check to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection, (see if his ears smell), sometimes this happens after being groomed. (water in the ears)

Anal Glands? Food? Teeth? All of these will create an odor.
Good Luck :rolleyes:

What aussiemedogs said...and I'll add skin to that list. A vet check is needed here. If a pet smells like perfume, hug 'em & snuggle. If a pet reeks of a bad odor, let a vet hug 'em & snuggle. (unless the dog just rolled in something gross)