Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog dies in Kennel (from Halifax Herald)

CyberKitten
February 18th, 2005, 01:01 PM
This is a sad and cautionary tale:

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2005/02/18/fNovaScotia188.raw.html

mastifflover
February 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
That is so sad. Also and I am guilty of this myself sometimes is leaving a choke collar on after our walk I just forget sometimes and it is very dangerous

sammiec
February 18th, 2005, 01:35 PM
That's a very sad story, poor little guy.

Briggs has a martingale collar, I never take it off. When she was tiny I would.. maybe I should reconsider. :sad:

honeybee4
February 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
That is a awful story. I started taking Harley's collar off him when he was in the house because of some of the stories that I had seen on Animal cops on animal planet. I feel so bad for those people.

greaterdane
February 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM
:sad: We had the same thing happen to a horse in our barn. The stable hand put her back with her halter on and she put her hind hoof through it and got stuck. She ended up thrashing and cut the main artery in her neck and bleed to death. It looked like a fake movie set, everything was everywhere and there was this poor horse with her back hooves by her head. It still haunts me to see that. She stayed that way all night long :( I have never put my dogs in their kennels with collars because of this. I was always so worried. :sad:

twodogsandacat
February 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I just picked Google up from the kennels. The only issue I had was after I saw them remove his collar(with tags) I asked that they leave his collar on.

They indicated that they remove the collars for exactly this reason. Instead they placed his collar on him only for his two daily walks around thier large country property.

I use to resist Alison's removal of Dalton's collar when she put him in a cage as my biggest fear was that the girls would get home, not put his collar on and then leave a door open. Seems she was right and I was wrong.

I think Pet stores should let anyone buying a kennel know about this risk.

goldenblaze
February 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
So sad and yet can happen so easily, a Dear friends son had this happen with his two dogs

Mother and son where playing and son's foot went in the collar the rest you know, no need to go on. After I heard that I take all choke collars off any dog I babyset.

One thing forsure we all know now, can tell others about this story if they leave the choke collars on their dogs.

Most people would take this advice and thank you for it.

chico2
February 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM
OMG,that's a terrible story :sad: My neighbors little Cocker Bailey,whom I dog-walk,was once left alone outside all day,in the summer.....luckily I went out in our the backyard,I heard her crying and found she was caught by the collar in the hedge,she was just a pup at the time and she was almost hanging...who knows what could have happened had I not been there :sad:
I suppose you have to think of all the possibilitys of danger,just like with a baby.