Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog pees on my bed help!

LadyElaine
February 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I have three dogs two sleep with me. The other dog puppy was crate trained when I got her. I let her sleep in the crate so she would be at home. I figured since she always slept in the crate that would make her feel better.
She is also house broke. She started getting on my bed and wetting it. My husband thought maybe the reason was that the other dogs slept with us and she didn't. That she was mad. We put her in the bed with us. Well for about three days she stopped. Then it started back up again. It is not just my bed she will pee on my daughters bed and grandsons. I have had to put gates up in the door of all the bedrooms. At night now she gets in bed and does not try to pee on the bed. If someone leaves the gate open she will go in everytime and pees.
We have taken her to the vet, she is healthy no problems there. What can I do? Puppy thats her name is a year old. She is a long haired dotson. She has a great personality, wonderful dog great with kids. My best friend. She just has this one bad habit I got to break.
Help Please!
Thanks
Elaine

maddoxies
February 17th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I had the same problem with my miniature long haired dachshund. I already had my golden when I adopted Valentin. My golden has always slept on my bed. Since my comforter is white, I toss a flat sheet over the comforter to protect it from the dog hair, etc. When I first adopted Valentin (the mini doxie) he peed on my bed when I put the sheet on over the comforter because the sheet
smelled of my golden and not my doxie also. He was marking his territory. I washed the sheet with Valentin's blanket, to mix the smells together. Since then, I have had no problems. Try putting a towel or something with Puppy's scent on the towel on each of the beds. Dogs do not mess on their own beds, so the towels with her scent will help her to consider those beds "hers" too. You are lucky that the gates keep her out. My mini doxie can climb a baby gate as if it does not exist !!! I have to stack two gates on top of each other to keep him out of a room.

Also, mini doxies do have a reputation of not always being 100% housebroken. You did not say if Puppy is a mini or standard doxie. I had a standard doxie many years ago and she was always 100% clean in the house. Because of my work hours, I leave a puppy pee pad for Valentin and he is consistent in using the papers if he has to go when I am not home. When I am home, he lets me know when he has to go outside.

I hope this helps. If not, you could try one of the repellant sprays for indoor use. Spray the bedspread or comforter with the repellant, humans can not smell the scent, but it is unpleasant to dogs and they should avoid the area that you have sprayed.

raingirl
February 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I assume you mean "Dachshund" right (weiner dog).

Weiner dogs are extremely hard to housebreak, and have accidents all the time. Most only are about 75% housetrained.

A lot of people here will probably suggest you retrain her. Was she a rescue dog? You might have to leave her on a leash all the time and watch her all the time and if she is about to pee, make a loud noise to stop her, and take her outside immediately!

LadyElaine
February 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks I will try the towel and see what happens. She doesn't go in the house unless she gets on the bed. She does not do it at night only when we are not in the bed.
Puppy is the only Dog I ever bought in my life. I worked with animals all my life and there was so many that needed home never felt I neded to buy one.

I had a dog name Taco. She was part dachshund and part Chihuahua. Wonderful dog. I loved her so much. I wasn't home and my husband let our dogs out. I have my whole yard fenced in. He was on the other side of the fence up on the hill mowning grass. Taco was sitting on the deck. My husband hit a rock. The rock went a 100 yards through the fence, through the rails on the deck. hit my taco in the head and killed her right then. It like to of killed us all, even my other dogs. One day we was at a flea market and my grandson started yelling Taco Taco. We put him on the floor because we could not see what he saw. He ran to the other end of the row and there sat "Puppy" she was the same color as Taco and when the lady let puppy out she kissed us all over. It was love at first site. My husband paid $375 for her.
I still miss Taco. My animals live to be in their late teens. That was the first animal I had that died of something other than old age. No one and no animals are outside when yard work is done now. Not even if we are in the pasture working.

Sorry got off the subject.

maddoxies
February 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Mini doxies have St Bernard sized personalities stuffed into their little bodies. I guess you would have "attitude" too if you were bred to chase badgers into their burrows.

Puppy is most likely telling the other dogs that all of you are "her" people and those are "her" beds. Rubbing her well with the towels first, or putting one in her bed for a night to make sure the towel is full of her scent should help.

Although it is funny, that if you have had Puppy for almost a year, that she would start now. Has anything else happened recently that might have set her off? Any of the other pets spent time at the vet? Change in laundry soap, people coming or going in the house? If planting her scent on the other beds does not work, these might be some things to think about.

Would love to see a picture of Puppy.

LadyElaine
February 17th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I took this and used it for our Christmas Cards!
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/Puppy%20picture.jpg
Puppy is a loving dog. She is just beautiful!

Puppy has been doing this from day one. She was not house broke when we got her. I house broke her. She was easy except for the bed wetting.

I will try your trick. I took the blanket out of her crate and laid it on my bed. Tonight and tomorrow I will leave the gate down and see what happens.
I will try anything.

maddoxies
February 17th, 2005, 09:22 PM
What a sweetheart :love: I love the little face :angel:

My guy's face is thinner and longer. He is brindle, but has some of the same red/brown in him. (His pictures are in the picture gallery under My little Valentin, the sleeping dog thread and in the Ordinary Garden Tourist thread)

I hope that placing her scent on the beds works for you. If you add baking soda or white vinegar (not both together) to the washing machine when you wash the linens she has already peed on, these will help to remove any lingering urine smells that might attract Puppy back to pee on the beds again. (Baking soda and vinegar together bubble up, I use that combination as a natural drain cleaner)

Too bad you live so far away, I would love to arrange a play date for Puppy and Valentin. Hugs and kisses to the little sweetie

LadyElaine
February 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Valentin in PJ's is adorable. Where did you get those?

I washed my sheets and bspread as you said. I put her blanket on the bed also. So far so good.

Daizy
February 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for this info. My toy poodle is having the same problem recently. I will try the blanket thing.

Glad it worked for your dog!