Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am so nervous....

amber416
February 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I woke up this morning to find that during the night my cat, Tink, had thrown up several times. I called her vet who scheduled her for an appointment at 3 and before we left she threw up several more times. The vet told us that she had a mass in her stomach that needs to be removed immediately and scheduled her for surgery right away tomorrow morning. It all seems to be happening so fast and I am so nervous. I guess I am just looking for some kind of reassurance, i feel terrible since I am assuming that whatever is in her stomach is something I should have been doing a better job of keeping away from her. Has this ever happened to any of your cats? And after her surgery, for how long should I make sure I am home with her all day everyday? Thanks for any replies and just for listening :)

mesaana
February 16th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry your kitty is sick. But you did good, not waiting long before taking her to the vet's. The more you wait, the more the risks. As for how long to stay with her after the surgery, why don't you wait and see how the surgery goes and how long the vet keeps her. When she can come home, you could maybe talk to the vet about the post-op care that will be required.

I'm crossing my fingers and will be checking back tomorrow for news. :)

Lyne

twinmommy
February 16th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Don't beat yourself up!! A mass doesn't mean that she has ingested it, it could have grown there on its own...and even if it is something she has eaten, you can't be expected to shadow her existence!!! Just take it one step at a time, and please keep us posted.

Lucky Rescue
February 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM
These things happen, and for finicky creatures, cats can eat some really weird things - earplugs, tinsel, elastic...

Good thing you took her to the vet right away! Hope the mass is something that can be resolved.

Please let us know how it goes. Keeping fingers crossed for your kitty!

amber416
February 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much for the reassurance! Tink's vet just called, the surgery went well and she is recovering. I get to go pick her up tomorrow, hopefully, as long as she is able to keep some food down for the vet...keeping my fingers crossed. But first i have to do some serious kitty proofing around home. Apparently she somehow got a hold of a big oarnge string with a knot at one end of it which then got in her intestines. I can't, for the life of me, figure out where she got something like that from but since she is an indoor only cat, she must have found it around here. At least she is okay again!

chico2
February 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Amber,that's great news..I always have to watch what's on the floor,especially with my Vinnie,he eats anything,especially anything made of rubber..loves rubberbands,which could cause problems..
Anyway,I am glad your kitty is ok,thank's to your quick actions :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
February 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Glad she's going to be okay!! :)
Stormy likes things he shouldn't also... the q-tips being one and he loves rubber bands too chico! He even steals my hair ties out of the bathroom closet :( Little bugger. I feel like they are little babies who will stick anything thing in their mouth that they come across on the floor (and then some) :p

Karin
February 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks so much for the reassurance! Tink's vet just called, the surgery went well and she is recovering. I get to go pick her up tomorrow, hopefully, as long as she is able to keep some food down for the vet...keeping my fingers crossed. But first i have to do some serious kitty proofing around home. Apparently she somehow got a hold of a big oarnge string with a knot at one end of it which then got in her intestines. I can't, for the life of me, figure out where she got something like that from but since she is an indoor only cat, she must have found it around here. At least she is okay again!

Leave it to a cat to find all nasty's laying around....the most curious of all will find them!

Glad to hear the Sx went well, I was going to post earlier but I was off to the vet's myself.

Ciara & I are crossing Fingers & paws for Tink.

Sneaky2006
February 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Is your pup ok Karin?

Karin
February 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Is your pup ok Karin?

Yah....Thank's for asking...I'll post later, time for a walk.

mesaana
February 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I'm very happy to hear the surgery went well. Keep us posted on her recovery :)
Lyne

Sneaky2006
February 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Yah....Thank's for asking...I'll post later, time for a walk Sure thing! You better! ;)

amber416
February 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Tink's recovery is going really well. She is eating and acting like her normal, spoiled self :-) . One question I have is, should i be limitting her phsyical activity for awhile? I asked the vet when I picked her up, and the vet was kind of vague and basically just told me to "play it by ear". I will be seeing the vet again on Wed. for Tink's follow up appointment, but until then I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Tink is really wanting to play a lot now that she is back home and she loves to do things like play fetch...i just don't know how much running around is good for her right now. Thanks in advance for any help!

glasslass
February 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM
I just saw this thread. So glad Tink is doing well. I can't think of anything worse than that feeling of panic, worry, guilt, and helplessness when our furbabies are sick or hurting. I have to laugh. My cousin's wife is named Tink and their daughter's name is Amber.

caliper
February 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Amber, I'm very happy to hear that your little one is doing so much better. As far as running around all over keep her as quiet as possible allthough I know that can be hard. Thanks for kepping us updated with her progress. Cal... :thumbs up

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 07:12 AM
Most animals are more resilient than people are, after surgery....I wouldn't encourage her to play and leap about but just watch the incision area & make sure there's no redness, swelling, etc.
I am sure she'll be just fine!
//thread hijack// Karin, did I miss something? Was Ciara sick?