Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obedience classes

claudia666
February 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Where is an obedience school somewhere near carman manitoba? i need to take my dog to obedience class.

happycats
February 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Isn't your dog only 8 weeks old ?
What is he doing that you think you need obedience calsses?

Writing4Fun
February 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Claudia. Sorry, I don't live in Manitoba, so I can't help you. But you might want to try getting in touch with your local SPCA, or maybe the people you got the pup from (I don't know your history, so I don't know if this is possible or not). They'll probably be able to refer you to someone.

If your pup is only 8 weeks old, he/she is still too young for obedience classes (they need to have their 3rd set of shots before they're accepted). But it's probably a good idea to start looking into them, calling around and getting a feel for the one you like the best.

Good luck! :thumbs up

kit
February 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
You could also try calling some of your local kennels, some do teach classes. My teacher said she took puppies as young as 10 weeks old, and they did not need to have all their vaccinations, but she did ask to get their kennel cough vacc.

kavar
February 16th, 2005, 08:47 PM
My pup is only 7 wks old and is signed up for training starting March 19th. I live in the Niagara Region and we are going to attend PetSmart training in St.Catharines. They only require the 2nd shots to completed and will take any puppy over 8 wks old. They say the earlier the better and since I have never owned a dog before, I agree, this will be a helpfull experience for both Zoey and I. I believe all dogs should attend some sort of a training course, but that's just me. :)

I would suggest looking into all your options and make the best choice for you and your dog!

Good luck!

GsdDiamond
February 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I can't say where there'd be any training classes in Carmen, but in Winnipeg there are tons.

I know it's a bit of a drive (one I'd made a few times), but if you get a chance, check out the puppy classes at Nobler Pets on Route 90 in Winnipeg. That's were I brought Diamond for her Basic Obedience. The trainer is an awesome man who uses a firm hand, but only so firm as to show the dog who the boss is. He's not cruel at all! Once you complete puppy class, move on to Basic Obedience. He only does these two levels, but can tell you where to go for more intense training. He's a member of the GSD Club of Manitoba, and Schutzhund Manitoba, among other groups. He has many contacts and may be able to direct you to someone in your area if you don't want to travel to Winnipeg once a week.

TobsterMom
February 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Claudia!

I think it's a great idea for you to be looking for classes for you and your puppy!

Check your vet clinic, the clinic where i work at offers "Puppy School" it's not exactly obedience, but more of a kindergarten for puppies. I took my dog when he was a pup, and I really feel that is why he is so well socialized towards other dogs. It's also great because you get tips rom the vet about health, food, and even basic obedience. You also get to socialize with other pet owners and can share stories and tips with them! I don't know if your vet would offer this, but you can give them a call!

claudia666
February 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I can't say where there'd be any training classes in Carmen,

It's spelled Carman with an A not an E.
Sorry it just bugs me how people mispell it.

lucyvanpelt
February 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
not to be mean, but i just have to say it strikes me as funny you are bothered when someone misspells the name of your town but it doesn't seem to bug you that your pup spends her days lonely and alone. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
like i said, not trying to be mean. just pointing out something that bugs me

Writing4Fun
February 21st, 2005, 06:39 AM
Lucy, you might want to ease up. Claudia is just a kid. ;)

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Lucy, you might want to ease up. Claudia is just a kid. ;)

Yes, but she should know how to say "thank you" which is something she's not done on any thread she's posted so far.

GsdDiamond
February 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Yes, but she should know how to say "thank you" which is something she's not done on any thread she's posted so far.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. The information I posted should have been more than adequate, whether I spelled the town right or wrong. Try to guess how many have misspelled Winnipeg?

You may want to try saying "thank you" instead of jumping on those trying to help you.

claudia666
February 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Ok fist off my puppy doesn't spend the day by herself my grandma has grown to like her and spends the whole day with her. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I'm sorry if i have been rude. In my opinion i think you guys are being unfair to me right now and it really hurts my feelings, i have enough trouble at school with people bullying me and calling me ugly, so you have no right to judge me when you don't even know me. again i'm sorry! :sorry:

heidiho
February 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Oh my God here we go,i see you have changed your name again,...................................Give it up,i dont buy this story for nothing..............................Are u that lonely????

claudia666
February 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
Oh my God here we go,i see you have changed your name again,...................................Give it up,i dont buy this story for nothing..............................Are u that lonely????

What are you talking about?

heidiho
February 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Nothing,sorry,i will leave this thread alone

Trinitie
February 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Ok - let's calm down now. Advice was given, concern for the pup was given, and an apology was given. I think we can all relax now.

Claudia - did you find a trainer? Did you call the folks GSD mentioned?

claudia666
February 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM
I'm going to check at my vets office and see if they offer training classes.

Carina
February 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
I'm going to check at my vets office and see if they offer training classes.

Excellent. :)
Even if they don't offer them, they probably know who does in the area.