Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! A cat too many..

badger
February 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I brought in another cat last night, to save him from a confrontation with a feral who (I think) sleeps in the locker on my porch and is a real demon. I have never seen this other cat before. Male (I think) white with lots of black patches and a black 'cap' on his head, fat as butter. Since the bathroom is already occupied, he had to spend the night in the crate, no access to a litter box, AND all day today, since I was working. I've just now done a switch so he can relieve himself, but it is an impossible situation and if I can't find a solution soon, he'll have to go back outside.

Can ANYONE take this cat in temporarily? Do I call Berger Blanc to come and get him? (ug). Do I release him outside and hope he finds his way home? Damn.

Help!

badger
February 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
He's pretty much a feral, I can hardly touch him without risking my hands. Favours his hindquarters, may be injured. Damn. I'm in Montreal. Any brave takers? He would probably come around with love and nourishment and a trip to the vet. Damn.

Lizzie
February 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Who is Berger Blanc? :o

Katze
February 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Are you sure he is a stray? If he is so fat maybe he does have a home. Did you really leave him 24 hours without access to a litter box ?

Lizzie
February 14th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Katze--if he was a stray or ferral he wouldn't need a litter box---they don't use litter boxes in the wilderness..they just go.

Sneaky2006
February 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I wish I could help!! :sad: poor thing.

badger
February 15th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Berger Blanc is a local shelter, it doesn't have a great reputation, rumours that they sell animals to labs.

He's a stray alright, watchful and defensive, but will let himself be touched, cautiously. He really was without a litter box for 24 hours. Wet his bedding. When I introduced him to the litter box, he wasn't all that interested, perhaps because it had been used by another cat. My kingdom for one more room!

The fact that he seems well fed may simply mean that he has been successful at getting food. Some strays do quite well outside, I've observed, perhaps from a combination of good hunting/scavenging skills, kind people, a safe place to sleep, luck. Who knows. But their lives are never long and they generally suffer from chronic conditions, apart from hunger and loneliness, that make their lives pretty miserable.

Thanks everyone.

Bugsy
February 15th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Ohh Badger... you remind me of Snow White. They keep finding their way to you. Berger Blanc will put him down. He is unadoptable, plus if he's been out in the city I'm sure he must have some little ailment & they do no treat animals at all... for anything. I've seen them take animals to be PTS for ear mites, ringworm. You name it. With all the kitties they get from people that are vaccinated & operated & even declawed a feral has 0 chance. They will keep it the mandatory 3-5 days as a lost pet & then that's it.

Maybe get one of those big tupperware things at walmart (insulate it) and put it on your balcony. He'll have a warm place to sleep. Then just keep leaving food and water out.

Last resort... SPCA Laval. I feel they try a little more than the others.

Have you taken a photo?

badger
February 15th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I would be happy to have him on my porch as a stop-gap but this little feral I mentioned earlier is something else, unbelievably aggressive. It would be non-stop war.

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

If anyone can get us to a shelter like Laval - alas, I have no car - I would be thrilled. Would pay for the gas. Would he have a better chance there?

Bugsy
February 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I think so. I know they at least treat there animals if they are ill... as I said they try a little harder. But I have to wonder Badger.... who would adopt him if he is so untrusting?

How about that lady lucky mentioned with a barn... remember?
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?I wonder if she would take him?=10436&highlight=wonderful+lady

badger
February 15th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I put him out this morning. In loving hands he may have been recuperable but you're right, Bugsy, at Berger Blanc he would've gotten the needle for sure, after five miserable days - probably less - in a cage. I was torn between having him euthenized immediately, knowing his ultimate fate, or hoping that he would be one of the survivors (not to romanticize life on the street no way). If my bathroom had been empty, I would've had him neutered then released him, but it isn't. So farewell, sweetheart, get off my porch if you know what's good for you!

chico2
February 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Awww Badger,you're breaking my heart :sad: but I can understand how you probably had no other option.
If you were able to ask him,I am sure he would rather take his chances outside than be put down.Maybe the very aggressive tom should be captured instead,but then again,what do I know about feral cats :sorry:

Bugsy
February 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Aww... Badger http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/traurig/105.gif. I would have done the same. Remember he's fat, at least he's doing allright out there :( Let's hope he had a home and found his way back. If not he'll be back.

happycats
February 15th, 2005, 12:09 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry4.gif
I know just how you feel, all the strays end up at my house to, they must all have radar and know we are suckers for cats !!
How sad, lets just hope he has a home. I know my cats are afraid of strangers but are very loving with us, lets hope this is the case with your poor fellow.