Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Koda - got out

koda's Mom
February 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Well kind of an upsetting weekend. Koda my little bichion got out of the yard by someone who forgot to close the gate. This is the first time that he has been out without his leash on since we got him in July. We are really good about making sure that the front and back gates are always closed before he goes out, but it happened. We realized he had gotten out right away as we saw he walk down the front sidewalk. I went out right away and used my "come"comand for him to come to me, but no way was he even thinking about it. He didn't run at top spead away from us, but went across the street to check out the other dogs and down the sidewalk and across the street again just really enjoying himself. I kept calling after him and he would not come. I was frantic because we do have a busy street not far from us and he was headed in that direction, but I tried to remain calm. Eventually he was back on our side of the street, and I sent my husband to go around the back of the house and force him towards me, he came running towards me and right up the walk into our yard when he saw my husband behind him. Thank goodness. Well now my questions:

1. We have had Koda in obedience training and he will come to me when we practice, but he wouldn't listen when I needed him to

2. My husband insists that Koda has no loyalty to us as he would just go anywhere and not want to come to me.

Should we take more obedience training, should he have come to me when I called and not walked around smelling the snow !

Thanks ;)

meowzart
February 14th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Well we had a bichon once, and every one I know that has had a bichon, has had the same experience - they love to escape and run and run and run.

I'd say yes to more training.

bluntman
February 14th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I would not get to upset that he did not come, It's nothing personal, he is still a pup, and being outdoors like that was new to him, and probably a bit confusing to.
When you do obediance training, it's in a controled enviroment, that he is familier with. If you work with him to come to you in different enviroments it would most likely help. Don't let this little set back deture you, I know you were upset something could have happend to him, and you did the right thing by not panicing, that may have drove him further away. I know the feeling, my pit got loose at 6 months old, when someone came over and did not close the door, and she was gone like a bullet, It was a busy area, and I could not find her, an hour later my cat found her and lead her back home.

twinmommy
February 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I find it's one of the hardest commands to get down pat--but it's the one that will save their lives......more obedience is a good idea!! :thumbs up

maddoxies
February 14th, 2005, 11:30 PM
This situation came up awhile ago and someone suggested having an "emergency command". I know that "COOKIE TIME!" will get Champ's attention over almost any distraction (cats, squirrels, etc).

Recall with distractions is one of the hardest commands to get your dog to learn. I would suggest practicing that command in a "safe" environment (such as fenced in yard, or dog park, with someone trying to distract him (not directly calling him against your command, but tossing and catching a ball, or other such "tempting"behaviour. I would suggest moving to the distraction of the other dogs at a dog park after he has become proficient at this command in less distracting situations (don't set him up to fail or ignore your command).

Champ is away at the moment, on a "sleepover" for Valentin's birthday, but I think when he gets home, we need to do a little refresher training too :thumbs up

mona_b
February 15th, 2005, 08:41 AM
A little tip for you...And I did this when Yukon and Tron were pups and I was teaching the re-call....And since Tron was being trained for Police work,this was a must.And it worked VERY well.

Get a 30' training leash.Keep it about 6'.Then call Koda to you.When he comes,get him to "sit"..When he does,praise him.If he doesn't,correct him and do it again.If he does,praise.Then let him go a bit farther.Say 10'...Call him again.Same thing,"sit" then praise.Keep doing this.You will need patience.

Sometimes it's easier for them to listen when they are being taught in a building.But when they really need to learn it is in the outdoors.There are more distractions.

I taught this to my friend who has 2 Bichons and a Bichon mix.It worked like a charm. :)

tenderfoot
February 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM
It's not about loyalty as much as it is about respecting your wishes.
There are 4 levels of obedience work you need to do: 1) indoors 2) outdoors 3) distance 4) distance & distractions. You need to work at each level and be successful before you move on to the next level. This can all happen very quickly but you need to be sure that your aren't asking too much of him at a level he isn't ready for. Being out in the neighborhood was like sending a 6 year old to college. He will fail. So you have to teach what is needed to order to get to college and be successful.
It is also about respecting the person in charge. Mona B's ideas are great, but I would add having someone trying to tempt the dog. It's as if there were kids with hot dogs across the street calling Koda and you told him to stay home. He better listen to you and not go into the street. He must listen to his leader and ignore everyone else. This can be a life saving skill for him.

mona_b
February 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Mona B's ideas are great, but I would add having someone trying to tempt the dog.

Oops,forgot that part... :D

2 toy dogs
April 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Koda's mom...
One of our dogs has some Bichon in her and loves to try and get away. What we found that works is instead of trying to catch her, we run the other way and make her try to catch us. As soon as she sees us running in a different direction, she comes running after us! It's pretty funny. We have been able to run her right back into the house doing this! We don't give her a treat, cuz we don't want to reward her.

Copper'sMom
April 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Koda's mom...
One of our dogs has some Bichon in her and loves to try and get away. What we found that works is instead of trying to catch her, we run the other way and make her try to catch us. As soon as she sees us running in a different direction, she comes running after us! It's pretty funny. We have been able to run her right back into the house doing this! We don't give her a treat, cuz we don't want to reward her.

This is exactly what I was going to say!! The dog will think it's a game....and what dog doesn't like to play games??

levimh
April 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
"Come" is something that I know I worked on forever and still work on to this day. When I first got my dog, Levi, he would do the exact same thing and when I would call him to come back, he'd look at me like I was crazy and he couldn't care less and kept going. Unfortunatly, he got out and away from my dad once and was hit by a car.

After that I practised "come" about 20 minutes every day with him. Now it's more of a game..the faster he comes, the bigger the treat and love. :D