Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat herding

meowzart
February 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Well we found out my rescue dog is largely a belgian shepherd (short hair) which leads us to a problem with cat herding! I have 5 cats plus a foster cat, and the poor things can't walk across the room without Gemma-dog getting up to herd them along. 3 of my cats are ragdolls and have very little self defense instinct, one of my rescues gives her what for when she gets annoying.

So I'm wondering - how do I deal with this herding? If it's her instinct can I train her not to do this??

Mostly she just slobbers on them, but sometimes with my most laid back raggie she actually starts to drag him by the scruff of the neck!!! That worries me. If they start to run away she thinks it's a big game and starts to chase them.

She does know the 'leave it' command and stops when I tell her, but that only lasts until the next cat moves :(

Any thoughts????

ps she's not quite a year old yet.

Lucky Rescue
February 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
with my most laid back raggie she actually starts to drag him by the scruff of the neck!!! That worries me.

YEs this would worry me too, since the cat can be killed in the blink of an eye.

You can teach your dog to leave the cats alone, but as I'm sure you know, Belgian shepherds are super high energy and driven working dogs, and MUST have a job. If their drive to work and herd is frustrated, they may find a job on their own, and you probably won't like it! :p

What do you do with her? I would suggest obedience, agility, flyball, herding or schutzhund.

Belgian shepherds are generally not a good choice for a non-working home.

meowzart
February 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
well the funny thing is that we got her because she was so calm and quiet HAHAHAHAHA! That lasted about 3 days. We had no idea what breed she was until I took her to obedience classes and the trainer has a belgian shepherd long hair and told me what she was. She was very helpful with Gemma (and understanding of her inability to sit still)

She was a dog rescued from a dump.

Frankly I've found it very very difficult with her because I didn't sign up to have a high energy dog :) Which is one of the reasons why I approve of getting a purebred - because if you are looking for a specific temperament/personality type you can match it better to your lifestyle.

She's incredibly smart and loves to catch balls - would that be like flyball? Because she would do well in that and I was thinking agility too, although I know NOTHING about either, and she has to calm down some before I can have her into anything organized. she gets very hyper around other people and dogs!

Sometimes I think she should be on a farm :( I'm sure that's why she chews things - she's bored.

mona_b
February 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I would suggest giving her lots to do..Take her out for a run.Throw the ball around.A tired puppy is a happy puppy.... :thumbs up

I know with Shcutzhund,they must pass Obedience first.The dogs must have full attention of the handler.

Any pics of her?