Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What breed category does your dog fit into?

Dane_Lover
June 27th, 2001, 04:17 PM
(According to the CKC grouping)

Marcee2800
January 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My girl is in the working group.

Ford Girl
January 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think my golden is sporting...Gun Dog, AKA Sporting. Altho they could easily fit in to the working catagory. :lovestruck:

SARAH
January 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Goldens? NAH, they're lapdogs!!

Both mine are retrievers, Duck Toller and Golden, so I guess they're hunting dogs/ gun dogs? I have a sneaky feeling a sudden gun shot would freak themout though!

CearaQC
January 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Wow that's an old post! lol June 27th, 2001, 06:17 PM

Mine are hunter/retrievers.

SARAH
January 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
:laughing: yeah, I hadn't noticed! :laughing: oh well ... better late than never, right?

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Lukka is a working dog (livestock guardian)

Ford Girl
January 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM
It was old, but I thought it would be good to put the info out there.

It's amazing how many people don't know and therefore don't realize how much this affects their dogs behavior and personality. Working and sport dogs need to be kept busy working....herding dogs herd...gaurd dogs guard..

Dorothea
January 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Lisa, is a good sport of the non-sporting type !!

clm
January 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Mine are in the non-sporting group too. They'd rather ride on the sled than pull it. :laughing:

Cindy

Byrd
January 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Willow's in the herding group.

How could the original six year old post never have been answered? :confused:

JanM
January 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, let's see - I have two Goldens - one is definitely in the sporting/working dog group (Amber) and Bobby, well, Bobby fits in more with the monks in Tibet than with any dog grouping out there :D

erykah1310
January 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Karma is newly considered a "Working" group breed (Tibetan Mastiff)
Bailey is sporting (Am.Cocker)
Meiko isnt recognized (Border Collie) and Kita is in the "too damn good for CKC or AKC (Rottie Boxer mix):thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Mine are in the non-sporting group too. They'd rather ride on the sled than pull it. :laughing:

Cindy

Your dogs are hilariously cute. :cloud9:

Oh Bobby - why don't you come live here and I will send Dazy to live with Amber...

Karma...so cute, what are Tibetan Mastiff bred for traditionally??

Question, if they are called non-sporting, then what are they? They could have come up with a better catagory name then non-sporting??? Geez....

erykah1310
January 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Karma...so cute, what are Tibetan Mastiff bred for traditionally??

They were bred as Guardians, live stock and land guardians also used as guardians of Tibetan monasteries
They are known as "Do-Khyi" which translates to "tied dog"

Very old and "primitave" breed that oddly only comes into season once a year.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
All 3 of mine belong in the "eating group" :D

clm
January 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Question, if they are called non-sporting, then what are they? They could have come up with a better catagory name then non-sporting??? Geez....

My husband calls it the useless group. :laughing:

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
My husband calls it the useless group. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

clm
January 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM

:laughing: See mine really are in the useless group, they don't even eat that well. Couldn't even belong in the "eating group". :laughing:

Frenchy
January 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
:laughing: See mine really are in the useless group, they don't even eat that well. Couldn't even belong in the "eating group". :laughing:

Yours belong in the "pillow" group :cloud9: they would make great pillows ! Or the body pillow ones :cloud9:

rainbow
January 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM
How could the original six year old post never have been answered? :confused:

:laughing: That was my first thought and it took a newbie to find it. :D :thumbs up

rainbow
January 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Oooops...I forgot to answer. :o

I have one in the Working Group and one in the Sporting Group and they are both candidates for the Hoover Eating Group. :D

mastifflover
January 26th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Buddy belongs to the Non Sporting group. He does have his own catagory the loudest snoring group this dog can wake you up from a dead sleep.

Rottielover
January 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Harley belongs to the working group.
But I am with Frenchy, should have been eating group, or licking group

Marcee2800
January 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Actually I don't know if she is a working breed she is an American Alaunt Mastiff, and she is just becoming a recognized breed but I am guessing she is a working breed.

SARAH
January 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Sheba too, along with the lap-dog group for large breeds :laughing:

Goldens (shaking head) :D

Queena2006
February 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Mine are exactly working dogs---loving sledding crazily!

helloapollo
April 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Karma is newly considered a "Working" group breed (Tibetan Mastiff)
Bailey is sporting (Am.Cocker)
Meiko isnt recognized (Border Collie) and Kita is in the "too damn good for CKC or AKC (Rottie Boxer mix):thumbs up

the border collie is a brilliant working dog and a great part of the aussie cattle dog (blue heeler)i believe. smart sheep/cattle dogs!

i have a hoover...um...dane,....keep a hold of your shoes...no......um..... say goodbye to your shoes...:headslap:

Kashi
April 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Mine is not recognized, being a mixed breed.

His Pug part is a "toy" breed under CKC & AKC groupings, and a "companion" breed under UKC groupings.

His Beagle part is a "hound" or "scenthound" in all the KC's.

JuniperTree
April 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
I have sporting and working dogs :)

duttypaws
April 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hugo is a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen so he's aint "nothing but a hound dog" (oh i just had to!)

aslan
April 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Quincy's in the sleeping/eating/pooping group and Bailley is in the I wish i was a rottie group.:laughing:

Rednose SB
May 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
terrier group for me Goldy is true to type

mastifflover
May 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well now I have Clark ( Valley Bulldog) and he is in the non sporting group even though he is not recognized by the CKC. But he is recognized as a wiggle butt and kissing machine

DoubleRR
May 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hound group--sighthounds to be exact.

angeldogs
May 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Jag is in the sporting group

katherine93
May 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
what gruop does a german shepherd fit into?

Jewels&Casey
May 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Both Jewels and Casey are herding dogs.

Funny thing is the different ways they go about it. Whenever we go out for our walks, Casey will go into a stalking position when she meets new people. Jewels doesn't. Jewels normally backs off when people approach but will circle the group.

Jewels doesn't care much for chasing after a ball but will chase after the dogs who are chasing the ball and then bring them back in by nipping at their heels. ;)

Crestedcrazy
June 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Noid and NIya belong to the Toy group

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Suki would be in Non-Sporting as she is a Shiba Inu, and since she is a mix, Matilda would be in the Terrier group (being part Rat Terrier, although CKC doesn't recognize the breed), Sporting because I think she has Lab in her, and who knows what else :)

mastifflover
June 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Well now I have Clark ( Valley Bulldog) and he is in the non sporting group even though he is not recognized by the CKC. But he is recognized as a wiggle butt and kissing machine
I have just confirmed with a American Bulldog breeder that Clark is definitely an AB.

aslan
June 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
lol, you must add to Clarkes list of duties official face washer.:D

mastifflover
June 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
That is quite true anyone needing a deep cleansing face wash Clark is your boy. Grace will give references for his talent

Masha
June 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
My guy is a German Shepherd and he is in the herding and working groups.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I found the group my newbie (Chloe) is part of : the human food eating group :rolleyes: so she fits in well with the goldens :p

bendyfoot
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Jaida the GSD would be in the Herding Group and Gracie would probably be a mix of Herding (Collie) and Terrier Groups, if we are even close to right about what Gracie's mixes are.

Jaida could also be in the "big crybaby sucky pants" Group and Gracie could be in the "stubborn-and-too-smart-for-her-own-good royal pain in the patootie" group:D