Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

911 Operator Calls Mother 'Stupid' After Pit Bull Attacks Boy

heidiho
February 10th, 2005, 05:06 PM
CINCINNATI -- A Cincinnati 911 dispatcher faces discipline after a mother who made a frantic call for help said she was outraged by the dispatcher's response.

The mother called to report the family's pit bull had attacked her 18-month-old boy.

The operator quickly dispatched an emergency crew, but she's in trouble for calling the mother and her husband "stupid people," WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video:911 Call

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Like I was to blame, I'm worthless, a no-good mom or something," said the mother, Samantha Osborne.

Osborne said the dog, called JD, had never been aggressive in 10 years with the family.

"He was good with my kids -- all three," she said.

But in a split-second, the pit bull turned on Jesse, attacking his face.

"Three people were right there and the dog out of nowhere went straight for the baby," she said.

SURVEY
Should The 911 Dispatcher Be Disciplined?
Yes, there's no excuse for what she did.
Yes, but as her boss said, I can see how dispatchers can get emotional.
No, she did her job.
No, I agree with her "stupid people" remark.
I don't know.

Results | Disclaimer

Here's what was said when Osborne called 911:

Dispatcher: "What kind of dog attacked him, Samantha?"

Dispatcher, repeating: "What kind of dog attacked him, Samantha?"

Samantha to her husband: "What kind of dog is JD?"

Husband: "He's a pit bull."

Samantha to operator: "He's a pit."

Dispatcher: "Stupid people."

Tom Rapp, the dispatchers' supervisor, called the remark "unacceptable" and said the dispatcher could be suspended.

Even though it's no excuse, Rapp said, emotions do get the best of his dispatchers sometimes.

"Any call you take involving a kid becomes 10 times more emotional. You find yourself wrapped up," he said.

When Osborne listened to a tape of the frantic call again, the entire nightmare was replayed: a little boy scarred for life and a mother trying to overcome the guilt.

"I never want someone else to hear those words from a 911 dispatcher, to feel the way I'm feeling. It's not right," Osborne said.

The little boy is out of the hospital after getting 17 stitches on his eyes and mouth.

The family dog was put down.
Copyright 2005 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

twodogsandacat
February 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Tragic for the family and a moronic response from the operator. Also sad that it was a pit bull attack. However there are hundreds of thousands of bites and attacks in a year, the majority not involving pits so it proves nothing as far as dog attack stats go.

Thank god however that Michael Bryant and Fantino didn't have to respond to the call. There was no mention in the article of needing to empty an Uzi into the dog or any mention that the dog wouldn't quit until it was dead. Funny how in Ohio pit bulls aren't indestructable.

I am still waiting for a story of a lab attack like the one in Niagara Falls being printed anywhere other than a local paper. The mother didn't deserve that response and I wonder what the operator would of said if it was a cocker spanial doing the attacking.

Never assume anything about the size or breed of a dog. They all have to earn our trust. I am out of town tomorrow so my large dog mix is at my parents (and my nephews will be over this weekend) but my little rescued Pointer is boarded - because my nephews will be over this weekend.

OK - all vented.

LavenderRott
February 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I wonder if the stupid remark was because the child was bit by the family dog, or because the family dog was a pit bull. Yes, the dispatcher should be disciplined.

Bugsy
February 11th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Copper'sMom
February 11th, 2005, 08:13 AM
The family had the dog for 10 years...........and the wife had to ask her husband what kind of dog he was?????

heidiho
February 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I didnt get that either,how could she not know what kind of dog it was>>>Believe me i look for the stories of other breeds but they dont like to put those in the paper,pisses me off also..............

Bearsmom
February 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking she forgot to mute her mike. One must always either keep one's comments to oneselves, or MUTE THE MIKE. I myself have said some things in frustration (I HAVE spent time in a fire department comm center), but have always waited till the call was well disconnected till I voiced my opinion. Yes, it's a ridiculously tough job, but there is no excuse for her comments. She should be disciplined for it.