Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New English Bull Terrier

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I just adopted an English Bull Terrier last night. I was looking him over today and came across a tatoo. I know he is purebred but would like more info on his background. Is anyone good with tatoos? This is what the tatoo says...BD6 26N. If anyone could help me figure this out it would be greatly appreciated. The previous owner said he had his papers but she never got them. I didnt really believe much that she was telling me, I just knew I didnt want to see the dog getting attacked by her other dog ever again. He is at peace now lounging at my feet as I write this with his medication on his cuts making him look like a moster lol :)

mastifflover
February 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
If he is tatoo'd call the CKC they should be able to track it back to the breeder. He is very lucky to have found you and vice versa. What is his name and where is the picture already

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I am taking the pictures down, if you would like to know pm me

BMDLuver
February 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
If it is CKC registered then they can help, if it's not then consider the dog yours. That's what they told us on our German Short Haired Pointer. Lots of breeders use it but it's for their own personal use many times. Perhaps the dog is microchipped as well.

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM
The woman led us to believe she bought him from the breeder but who knows. I have heard the lost paperwork story many times and it always seems that the person handing over the dog was never the first owner. I just hope he was not stolen or something along that lines. I called the CKC and got an answering machine so I am emailing them now as well. Hopefully everything will work out.

chico2
February 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
What a lucky little guy :thumbs up I believe he is the first of his kind in this Forum,Welcome to pets.ca Dexter/Dixon :love:

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Wow he is the first?? *balloons fall, music is playing* Dexter/Dixon will be so proud to hear this lol. He is such a nice boy, he even loves his new crate. I just wish I could help his scars. The are so horrible on his face. Does anyone have any ideas how to minimalize the scars. One is new and the vet gave me cream for it, but I would like to do something about the others. I will take pictures for you all to see. He is so kind, i cant believe they would let something like that go on for so long.

mastifflover
February 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Love the name Dexter and he suits it. If you post pics of his scars and such we might be able to recommend something.

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Here are his scar pictures. The fresh one is about his left eye the rest are older, probably about a month old, 2 still have scabs so they are recent as well.

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry they are so blurry, I am having to use the old camera. I will use the better one when dearest gets home from work

mastifflover
February 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
For now I would rub them with vitamin e oil it has great healing properties. Break open a vitamin e cap a just lightly put it on all the scars it will moisturize the skin. BMD had posted something they also use on horses that helps the hair grow back she said it will grow back white but that will work well for Dexter. I just love bullies :thumbs up

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I am going to go get some vitamin E tonight. Could you also suggest something for his coat? It is so dry, she was feeding him purina dog chow? I am going to slowly switch him to Nutrience which is what Oz eats, its a skin and coat formula, but I was wondering if there was something I could put on his coat as well to help his skin etc. I think I know what you are talking about with the horses. We would often have the horses come back with gashes from fence posts etc and we would put a cortizone(sp) cream on them. I wonder which one BMD was talking about, hopefually she will read this and respond. Thank you again Mastiff Lover, this is such a great site, everyone is so helpful!

mastifflover
February 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I give buddy fish oil capsules they help a lot since he won't eat them (don't blame him) I stick them in a piece of rollover and he gobbles them right up. But switching his food will make a world of difference to. You can also give him omega 3 & 6's they help to but a lot of better quality foods now include omegas. This weather does not help it contributes to dry skin as us bi-peds know.

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thank you Mastiff lover, my dad suggested the oils as well. I will try them too. Anything to help this little man.

Yes Chico, someone allowed this attacking to go on for quite some time. I also believe someone hit him at one point in his life as well. Certain ways I put my had to pet him, he fliches. James tried to coax him down the stairs yesterday to come to me and he looked as if we were trying to kill him. He is already starting to come around though, following me everywhere, trying to get me to rub his tummy etc. Hes just such a nice boy, with no signs of aggression so far, and thats what his previous owner was so worried about. I feel he wasnt the aggressive one, he was just defending himself. Her other dog had no scars at all, just poor Dexter/Dixon :(

chico2
February 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
That is sooo sad,but things are looking up for him now....http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smile04.gif

mona_b
February 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM
What a handsome boy. :thumbs up

To answer your question about the tatoo.Here is the meaning.Hope it makes sense.

BD6 - is the name of the Kennel.Just a bit hesitant on this one.The # usually goes first.

26-gradually builds or restarts the year

N- CKC assigns a letter representing Year

Has he been scanned for a chip?

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
He hasnt yet been scanned for a chip, i forgot to ask my vet that. Could I just take him to the humane society for this?

I am going to look at the tatoo again, possibly it is an 8 not a b??

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Yep on further inspection... which he did not appreciate its a FD6 26N :)

mona_b
February 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Hmmmmm,not sure if you can take him there or not.

Can you not ask the vet if you can bring him over to get scanned?

jjgeonerd
February 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
We also give Gabby fish oil pills at the advice of our vet for dry skin...usually one every couple days or so. We now constantly get compliments on how pretty and shiny her coat is.

She won't eat them unless we poke a hole in them and squeeze out a tiny bit of the juice...then she scarfs them down like a treat. They give her bad breath for a half hour or so though! :yuck:

meb999
February 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Hey dobermom!
I agree with the fish oil pills, they'll give dexter/dixon (I think I like the name dexter the best...but that's just my opinion). I have a girlfriend who used it on her Bernese, and his coat became soooo glossy after a few months of using it.
As for the scars, you might want to try 'polysporin' or another pharmacy 'over the counter' scar reducing cream. They have a whole bunch (especially for womens strectch marks). These will moisterize and heal the skin. When my dog Georgie (may he rest in peace...) cut his tail, the cream the vet gave us didn't help heal it at ALL. My dad put polysporin on it, and it healed beautifully!
Good luck, your boy is lucky to have found you. Did his previous owners let him fight? Did he just not get along with their other dog, or did they really 'fight' him?

greaterdane
February 10th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi Meb, the more I talk to people and look at him the more I think they let him fight or used him to fight. Everyone says I truly rescued him, yet I saw him posted on petfinder and no idea of his scars or anything. I just emailed and hoped the owner would see me with my male dog Oz because she put in her ad no dogs, needs to be only pet. Well Oz and Dexter (we picked that one) are in love so to speak. Dexter was even playing with children today and trying to kiss them. The little girl was pulling at his tail and he just kept on wagging. He met another unaltered male, no aggression on either party, yet she told me he was very aggressive. No paperwork and no vet work, who knows what she did to this poor dog. He is in good hands now and will live the rest of his life in a puppy lap of luxury. He already has a full wardrobe. James gets upset because they are both male dogs and I dress them as if they were small children. Oz is running around now in a red t- shirt with xoxoxo in sequins(sp?) in the back. My friend said that if i ever couldnt keep Dexter she would take him because he loved kids and she thought he was perfect. I have already decided that he is mine, all mine. Dexter is home and I love him.

jiggles
June 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I was wondering where u adopted you english bull terrier from.

Cheers luv

Christine

Mahealani770
June 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM
You say you posted pics but I don't see them! I wanna see Dexter! lol

chico2
June 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
The last post from the OP was february 2005:p

greaterdane
June 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
He is no longer with us due to severe aggression issues. He was helped to the bridge over a year ago :( He came from a very crappy place, not a rescue or shelter. Sorry I dont have any other info. Just keep your eye on petfinder.