Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Groups in Ottawa, Ontario

BeagleMum
February 9th, 2005, 10:53 AM
We have our Spencer in puppy class and he is doing well but one thing that I wanted to work on more than once a week is socializing him with other dogs. Right now he starts to cry if anothe rdog comes near him, even if they don't topuch him. When he does start to play, he bites.

Does anyone know of any groups that are set up in Ottawa? I was thinking of a dog park but I was told not to let him off of his leash because he is a beagle and if he catches a scent, he will be gone.

Any suggestions?

maddoxies
February 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Two suggestions.

Go to a pet store that allows dogs on leashes, great meeting place. PetsMart, etc

Check out meetup groups on the internet. If there is not a meetupgroup for you in Ottawa, start one. Usually meetup groups are breed specific, but there in no reason why you can't start a general one, or a puppy one. Then they could all grow up together.

Bonus suggestion, #1 maybe arrange a play date with one of the other puppies in his class.

Bonus suggestion #2 One of our puppies is being adopted this weekend by a couple in Ottawa. They are puppy rookies, so you could probably help each other out.

goldenblaze
February 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
We have our Spencer in puppy class and he is doing well but one thing that I wanted to work on more than once a week is socializing him with other dogs. Right now he starts to cry if anothe rdog comes near him, even if they don't topuch him. When he does start to play, he bites.

Does anyone know of any groups that are set up in Ottawa? I was thinking of a dog park but I was told not to let him off of his leash because he is a beagle and if he catches a scent, he will be gone.

Any suggestions?

Hi There

If you are looking for a great place to take your dog to meet other try Conroy Pit, which is at the corner of Hunt Club and Conroy Rd. It's a great area to walk, and a great spot for your dog. I lived in Ottawa for a few yrs and took my shih tzu there, let me know how it works if you go there.
Have fun meeting other dog lover and many great dogs... (it is a clean place too) take the poop bags ;)

One more thing we babyset a beagle Jake, sweet dog he is 2 yrs old and listens very well. He runs in my yard and stays in the area perfectly. Enjoy your little one :D

tiernan
February 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hi There fellow Ottawa person!! :cool:

Well, Bruce pit is also fantastic place. We have moved here from a small town and can not believe how cool the dog parks in Ottawa are!!!

Haven't been to Conroy yet, but Bruce Pit even has a lake for dogs to swim in during the summer months ...

There were dogs running in packs through a huge field and there are also tons of trails to walk on. Generally, the whole park is fenced so as long as you kept your dog on the leash for a bit then took your dog off leash near the fenced area you should be ok.

Our puppy has a large dog phobia and she met so many different kinds of dogs at Bruce Pit (we take her every Saturday) that she is starting to feel better.

Give it a try, here is a link which shows how to get there ...

http://members.rogers.com/larry.neily/stony16.htm