Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog sleeping in bed

honeybee4
February 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering if it was wrong to allow my dog to sleep in bed with me. We were discussing it here at my work and some people think that it is really weird to allow a dog to sleep in the same bed as you. He will lay with me when I first go to bed and then he will leave. He sometimes comes and goes two or three times a night. Our cat also lays on one of the pillow on top of your head most of the night as well. Should I discourage them from getting on the bed?

coonlover
February 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I dont think its weird at all my cat sleeps with me everynight, she and I wouldnt have it any other way, and if I had a dog he would be sleeping with me too :D

BMDLuver
February 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I think it's great that you share your home totally with your pets. You always get someone who thinks otherwise but I chalk it up to not a real animal lover. Of course, with a dog that has problems ie. dominance issues it's another story. I say heck, what you do is your own business not anyone else's. You go! :thumbs up

kit
February 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
:) If you don't mind having your dog sleep with you than go for it. My german shepherd shares my bed also. He is on a Sentinel a once a month medication that helps prevent your pet with intestinal and heart worms and fleas, which the fleas transmit the parasites. My dogs sleeps at the end of the bed. :)

Lucky Rescue
February 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Agree with BMDluver. If there is no problem with the dog refusing to get off or growling when you ask him to, then it's your business!

I don't let my dog sleep with me, but merely because she is a snoring, kicking blanket hog!:D

maddoxies
February 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Champ starts on the bed and usually gets off during the night. It either gets too warm for him, or he gets fed up with me kicking him in my sleep. Valentin, being a typical doxie, dives between the sheets and burrows down to the foot of the bed. He does not surface until morning.

I am fostering an 8 week old pup right now. Because I am in an upper apt in Montreal, noise is a real issue. I cannot crate him, or leave him in the kitches, as I cannot have the pup crying at all at night. So , he sleeps on the bed, with his leash wrapped around my wrist. He wakes up, moves, I know about it.

It is your house, your pets, your business.

honeybee4
February 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Great! I am glad I am not the only one. He does not have a problem getting off the bed when he is told to. My BF does not like him sleeping on the bed. I usually go to bed before him and then we he comes in Harley knows that he has to go, but as soon as the BF falls asleep he climbs back up. :)

BMDLuver
February 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Harley sounds like a very smart dog.

Trinitie
February 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your dog sleeping on the bed with you. The dog knows who the ranking member of the pack is, otherwise he wouldn't get off when told to. As LR said, he's not growling, so there's no issue!

Copper'sMom
February 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Everyone has different lifestyles and what some people see as revolting, other people see it as the norm! I have always had my animals sleep on my bed! It's great when you are single until you hook up with someone and there is no room in the bed for them(he he he). My boyfriend has learned to accept the fact that the DOG sleeps in the BED!! Needless to say we had to buy a bigger bed! I had the dog before him, so the dog wins! :D And my one cat always sleeps on a pillow up by my head. Sure there is always the struggle for blankets and more room to stretch out, but I wouldn't have it any other way! If you don't mind the dog and cat hair why not? That's why we do laundry!!! :p

It's the same with some people let their pets on their furniture and some people don't! If I was a pet, I wouldn't want to sleep on the floor all of the time................would you?

Sneaky2006
February 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I would love if all my pets could sleep with us on the bed... but five animals, including two snorers, it's just not possible! I am such a light sleeper, I can barely sleep with hubby cause he has a lot to say and mutter in his sleep.

lezzpezz
February 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
It has now been 3 years since I have had a complete night of sleep. I am tired when I go in and more tired when I get up. I imagine that this is due to the 200 lb. husband, 100 lb. pyrenees, 80 lb. husky, 20 lb. fatcat, and the 2 10 lb.-ers, also feline, that have all decided that the bed is for them. My husband likes 4 pillows and all the blankets. I am usually the last one "in" and may get the elasticized corner of the fitted sheet! I wake up with hair in my mouth every day and my jammies, (yes I have to wear something to keep warm!!), are lint-covered. I gave up long ago trying to sleep solidly. I am quite a contortionist and often wake up during the night with a numb limb. At least part of me gets to sleep!!! I just can't throw them off the bed, once I look in their eyes. Don't even start me on the issue of one of them farting! I am usually trapped and have to ride out the smell, much to the amusement of my husband, who likely let 'er rip in the first place!! One big happy family in one queen sized bed!

SpanielLuver
February 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I share my bed with a 6ft 5" husband, a cocker spaniel and 2 cats. No wonder my body hurts when I wake up. There used to also be another cocker spaniel and a black lab mix, but there just was not enough room on the bed so the two who moved around the most had to be banished to the guest room, they now have lots of room to stretch out on the double bed there. When guests come they have to share the bed with dogs, lol. So far it hasn't been a problem fior the guest either, they call the dogs when its time for bed. They are good friends that share their bed with your dogs and don't complain, but hey the bed belongs to the dogs. lol.

kimbilly
February 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
This is really funny, when we got Bentley (only 3 months ago) we said that he would be in his crate at night and when house trained he would have a bed in the room..... WELL that lasted about a month. He is now on the bed every night. In and out of the covers depending on how warm or cool he is. His favourite spot is right between us on his back, with all 4 leggs spread open :) Hubby and I tried to cuddle up one night so that Bentley would be forced on the side of us, but no, he pushed and squeezed to get between us :eek: one determined boy.

I think it is all personal choice, I am all for the extra warmth on a cold winters night.

As for the farting, if Bentley escapes the duvet at high speed, you know that the only rule is DO NOT FLUFF THE COVERS!!!

Luvmypit
February 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Wow I sleep with capone (55 lbs) and my boyfriend in a queen size and I dont have enough room. i dont know how all you do it with more then one. But I have no problems allowing him sleep there as long as he knows its a privelage and not a right. If he gets too pushy its off time. Most of the tiime he gets hot and goes to his crate. Im more weary of my boyfriend as just last night I got an elbow in the nose. Not pleasant at all!

chico2
February 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Lesserpezzer,your funny...love to see your bed at night :crazy:
I sleep with three cats,Chico is right by my face,wants me to hold his paw...Rocky luckily sleeps leaning against my leg,he snores like an old man(or woman!)..Vinnie will take whatever spot is left for him,but usually wants to go under the duvet and if I had a dog..oh well :)

lezzpezz
February 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I'd like to see the bed too! I have been known to sneak into the second bedroom when I reach peak tiredness, usually every 3 to 4 days, but would you believe the 2 dogs follow me!! Lennox sleeps in between my legs all curled up, (don't get any funny ideas!) and Rosie the Pyr thinks she is my partner and stretches the full length of the bed using the pillows under her head! There is no escape! AAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!!! And it is all my doing, by allowing them on there in the first place. At least the cats are fickle and leave during the night.

BeagleMum
February 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
We have an 11 week old beagle and he is in bed with us. He is not house trained yet so I have him sleeping in our cat carrier (now his bed) in between my boyfriend and I. I was told by the trainer that he should not even be in the same room as us at night but I just can't do that to him. It is bad enough that he is alone during the day, I wouldn't want to abandon him all night too - Poor Little Guy. At least this way too, I can hear when he needs to pee in the middle of the night (sometimes 5 times). I will say though as soon as he can be trusted to make it through the night with no accidents, he will be right in bed with us. The carrier just takes up so much extra room but he seems to like it.

One good thing about this though, my cats usually stay away. They are usually on an end table or on the floor. At least they aren't on my head pawing in my hair any more.

jjgeonerd
February 10th, 2005, 01:08 PM
On occasion I allow Gabby to sleep in the bed with me...usually when my wife is out of town for work. She's a total bed hog..the dog...well, the wife too I guess! :evil: You wouldn't think something that weighs 65 lbs could occupy an entire queen size bed, but she does. She usually starts off down by my waist, but by the morning she's lying with her head on the pillow next to mine like a person...usually snoring...WEIRD! :eek: It's the only time I can sleep in...if she's on her bed beside our bed she wakes up at 7-7:30 and gets me up, but if she's on the bed she won't get up until I do. Geez...dogs!

Lucky Rescue
February 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I am tired when I go in and more tired when I get up. I imagine that this is due to the 200 lb. husband, 100 lb. pyrenees, 80 lb. husky, 20 lb. fatcat, and the 2 10 lb.-ers, also feline, that have all decided that the bed is for them.

Please, do you have a picture of this????

lezzpezz
February 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Well today, the dogs were out of hand! (paw) It seems that their sense of time has already sprung ahead during this past week, as they are now waking up at least an hour earlier! I was up at 5:15 a.m. today, a full hour earlier than usual, as they figured it was time to start Wrestlemania on the bed! I had to take them outside to pee, because we were now all wide awake. I have taken to pouring the coffee directly into my eyes for quicker results. These pets (cats too!) have been stirring earlier and earlier so I figure Daylight savings time has already kicked in. Oh gawd, I am tired.....but I love them so! :o

Heinz57
February 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have taken to pouring the coffee directly into my eyes for quicker results.
Well thank you for that one! I just sprayed coffee all over the monitor. :crazy:

lezzpezz
February 10th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Oh no! Don't waste the coffee!!!!! There are needy people out :rolleyes: here! Sorry that I caused a mess!

honeybee4
February 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Our bed usually consists of me, BF, Harley, the kitten, and then the two kids come in through out the night. we only have a queen bed so someone, usually one of the kids cause they are the last ones to come into the bed, gets pushed out. They always climb right back in though. I use to have the bed against the wall, so someone usually slept in the crack between the bed and the wall, but since I rearrange the room that person ends up on the floor. Harley always knows that the best spot is in between me and the BF with his head on the pillow. that way he isn't the one getting kicked. lol. I guess he is smarter than he looks sometimes.

andone
February 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM
my Tya always sleeps on the bed, right up next to me. i don't think there's anything wrong with it. when i first got her, having her sleep on my bed was a kind of training thing...she was a very nervous dog and she wouldn't leave my bed at all during the night, and it helped get her housetrained, she wouldn't use my bed as a washroom, and then i'd just carry her outside, or as soon as her feet touched the floor, she had to go

TobsterMom
February 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Toby will fall asleep at the end of the couch with me when we watch TV. I've tried taking him up to bed, but he wants in the dining room, on "his" love seat. He used to have his crate in the dining room, now he has a love seat. He just won't settle in my bed, he wants to have his own space...that's weird for a dog, I think.

coonlover
February 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Well today, the dogs were out of hand! (paw) It seems that their sense of time has already sprung ahead during this past week, as they are now waking up at least an hour earlier! I was up at 5:15 a.m. today, a full hour earlier than usual, as they figured it was time to start Wrestlemania on the bed! I had to take them outside to pee, because we were now all wide awake. I have taken to pouring the coffee directly into my eyes for quicker results. These pets (cats too!) have been stirring earlier and earlier so I figure Daylight savings time has already kicked in. Oh gawd, I am tired.....but I love them so! :o
OMG! your sooooo funnyhttp://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage06/1.gif

lezzpezz
February 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I will try to get a picture. Not sure how to do the techie stuff, but my tennant has a digital camera and I will attempt to "post" a photo of the clan in bed. Oh boy, will you laugh!

mastifflover
February 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Nothing wrong with it and if there is we are all crazy. Buddy starts off on the bed then moves to the floor it is too warm for him. Besides he likes to lie crosswise on the bed so I end up with my legs all crammed up and he is so comfy all stretched out.

maddoxies
February 14th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Grover4: I am fostering a 9 week old puppy. I put him on the bed with me at night, on a leash and put the loop of the leash around my wrist. William will not pee on the bed because it is "his" bed too. When he wakes up and starts to get restless, the tug on the leash wakes me up too (and as a narcolept that is a feat to wake me up. Guess I am sleeping lighter to keep tabs on William). It might be an alternative for you, rather than using the crate.

I share a queen size bed with my 84 pound golden Champ and Valentin, a 10 pound teckel (mini dachshund). Champ sleeps sideways across the bed and Valentin burrows under the covers and snuggles up against me. Toasty warm in the winter, it could get a little warm come summer. Good thing that I am only 5 ft 3, with the golden sleeping cross-wise in the bed, but I still end up with my feet in my pockets sometimes. Wish I could send some of that extra space to you. That extra space was hard won, it used to be me, the ex, two adult goldens and a cat !!! Now you can almost hear the echo when the golden passes wind :yuck:

Housesitting this weekend was fun. Me, two full size goldens, a 10 month old golden and Valentin - all in a double bed. The third "losing" adult golden had to make do with the love seat in the living room and the 9 week old pup was sent to the kitchen with is crate (no neighbours to hear his protests :thumbs up ) Watching TV was the bigger challenge, the 6 of them all got to the sofa before I did. If I did manage to get a few square inches of sofa, I lost them everytime I got up to put another log on the fire.

Lezzerpezzer, I have the opposite problem. I want (well, need) to get up and my gang get to lounge in bed. The alarm goes off and I stumble out of bed, Valentin gets up, uses his pee pad and crawls back into bed. I am stumbling around half asleep, trying to get ready for work and he is snuggled up in bed again. Talk about a dog's life !!!!!

Shaykeija
February 15th, 2005, 12:24 AM
My bed is a three ring circus. Missy the terri poo, Sophie the Shih Tzu, and Piper the cat sleep with hubby and me. Just this morning I woke up to a Shih Tzu butt right in my face. Seems that Sophie likes to sleep on my pillow beside my head after the hubby gets up. :evil: