Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fila Mastiff/Fila Brasileiro?

Lea
February 7th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Hi all. I am new here, doing some research on a new member of my family. Does anyone know if Fila Mastiff and Fila Brasileiro are the same animal? This beautiful animal blew into our lives-literally!-during hurricane Ivan, so we know nothing about him. We happened to take him to a vet where an employee had a dog that looked so much like him they could be twins. She said hers was a Fila Mastiff, but was a foundling as well. Ivan is black with white on his chest and tips of feet. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

BMDLuver
February 7th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Would love to see a photo of him! If he's anything like the one's I just searched on, he must be lovely. Sorry but I don't have an answer for you as to if they are the same or not.

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Thye are definately 2 different breeds.

Do you have any pics?

Here is a pic of a Fila Mastiff.

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
And here is a Fila Brasilerio.

BMDLuver
February 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I like the Fila Brasiliero. Does yours look like that Lea?

Lea
February 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
That's him!! The Fila Brasilerio. Looks just like him, except he has a little white with black specks on the end of his feet. He is the sweetest guy too!! BUT, he is the first dog I have ever had to crate when I leave the house, he got into MISCHIEF!

No pics at this time. I am slowly coming into this century!

BMDLuver
February 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Guess he was sampling the house huh :eek: Lovely dog,congratulations!

Daisy's Owner
February 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
They are HUGE!!!! Holy crap. Cute though.

They look like they would be great big sooky babies.

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM
The Fila Mastiff in the pic is a heafty 220lbs........... :D

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Have you been doing some research on this breed now?

They are prone to HD,and Bloat...

Here is a link on Bloat that you can check out.This breed is not listed,but because of him being a what is called a rare breed,they didn't list it.But he is a deep chested breed.
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

twodogsandacat
February 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Please don't shoot me for saying this I'm not trying to be negative just cautionary.

I stumbled across this breed while researching Bill 132. There are billed as the ultimate protection dog. Extremely loyal to the family but extremely wary of strangers. Even the good breeders caution on that point (and there are some bad ones too). Not saying that it's a bad thing to have a protective dog but just something to be aware of if you know nothing of the breed. Training is a requirement.

A little too much dog for me though but still magnificent. What's it cost to feed a dog that size?

badger
February 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM
You mean he was lost in the hurricane and his owners didn't surface?

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 06:02 PM
If I recall,they are banned in Britin.

I have talked to a few of the breeders(not to many here in Canada)yes they can be a bit wary of strangers.But there are also other breeds like this.That's why you really need to get lots of info before getting one.But in Lea's case,he found her... :D

Believe it or not,they really don't eat that much.No different than a Great Dane or Mastiff. :)

twodogsandacat
February 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
If I recall,they are banned in Britin.

I have talked to a few of the breeders(not to many here in Canada)yes they can be a bit wary of strangers.But there are also other breeds like this.That's why you really need to get lots of info before getting one.But in Lea's case,he found her... :D

Believe it or not,they really don't eat that much.No different than a Great Dane or Mastiff. :)

AND SHE SHOULD KEEP HIM! :thumbs up I would never suggest anything other. I believe that animals and humans are brought together for reasons. Of course some of us just have better luck finding them.

As I said just a caution.

OKAY I'll bite what's a Great Dane eat in a day?

mona_b
February 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
My friends Great Dane,Jaz,gets fed 3 times a day(prone to Bloat).He gets 3 cups of the dry,along with canned.Because of the Bloat,they need to get their food spread out instead of just one meal.Which to me is just not enough with any breed.

twodogsandacat
February 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Twice a day after exercise. Dalton is deep chested too. We used to feed him before exercise but thank god we mentioned it to the vet.

Cookies fired at will....

Bugsy
February 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
There is just one breed the Fila Brasileiro. Fila Mastiff is the same as calling a Dogue de Bordeaux a French Mastiff. The pics above are of a black pup and a grown brindle adult.

Guys don't believe everything you read.http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/diverse/banned2.gif That's part of the whole BSL problem. They say the same thing about most mastiffs including Neos.

Links
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/filabrasileiro.htm
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/gallery/dogs/alphabetically/fila-brasileiros/ (scroll down to see lots of photos) Double click a photo to make it larger. :D

Your a sweetheart http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/302.gif for taking the sweet guy in... I bet he is a velcro dog and follows you from room to room. I'd love to see a photo too http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/433.gif

How great is this pic !

twodogsandacat
February 8th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Bugsy: I don't like to think that I would ever spread any BSL BS or believe everything I read but that link pretty much sums up what I read over and over at many other sites - pro Fila sites. Lea would be the better judge of Ivan's character than any stereotype but should be aware that her pup may require more training and socialization than some other breeds. She is looking for any information we can provide and if you search on Fila you won't find stories of attacks but you will find Fila lovers talking openly about the pros and cons of a Fila and the requirements to own one. If Lea is willing to share her home with Ivan then she should have as much information as possible to avoid any surprises. As the paragraph below explains the Fila can be different than what most people are used to. As we all honestly know from the BSL BS that is going on in Ontario it ain't the dog. If Lea is here, has opened her home to a stray and believes that her mutt is a sweetheart then I have no fears about her being a responsible owner. :)

The Fila temperament can be difficult from what most people are used to. He is a loving family member with the natural instinct to guard and protect his home, family and whatever else he deems as his. His aggression towards others can be a problem to an owner who is not aware of how the Fila will react and how fast! For this reason, your Fila must be under control whenever someone enters the family home or property. Whenever the Fila accompanies you on a walk, in the park, or wherever, any person that approaches you or him may be perceived as a threat and acted on as such. This is why you must socialize your Fila to accept the approach of friends as you do.
http://www.pets4you.com/pages/blackcreek2.html

Disclaimer: I always reserve the right to be wrong.

Lea
February 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Wow, I didn't expect such wonderful input! Ivan is so very sweet and gentle, not aggressive, and is good with strangers, maybe he doesn't know he's a Fila! He is pretty submissive to my other dogs and us. I didn't know about the bloat issue, so I am going to read up on that today. He is probably mixed with something else, but he looks exactly like the black Fila's in the pics in the links you guys sent. His jowls aren't quite as hound doggish, but other than that, dead on, even the way he sits with his knees all splayed out.

When we found him, he had a broken tether on. Someone had obviously tied this beautiful creature outdoors while there was a hurricane. I didn't spend too much time looking for his inhumane owner. There were no signs posted for a lost dog, nothing in the papers...nothing. I can't imagine losing a member of my family and not being frantic. He has become a special part of our family, and I want to learn as much as I can in order to provide him a happy life. He derves it : ) You guys are great!

mastifflover
February 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Lea they are great dogs and they are also known as a Brazilian Mastiff. It is only one breed and yes they can be protective but that is a Mastiff trait but like any dog it is all about training and how they are treated. For the most part Mastiffs will not attack, even an intruder in there home will not be attacked he may be cornered by the dog and he will sit and guard him till someone arrives but if the person is stupid enough to try and hit or kick the dog or leave well then he will be bitten. They are protective and not aggressive, they will only be aggressive when the situation warrants it like if somebody threatens you then that person will get what they deserve. Great dogs you will be really happy you gave this cutie a home. There is a great site dedicated to mastiff medicine and health. I would read up on this breed because for instance they do not use the same anesthetic for these guys as you do other breeds http://www.redwoodempiremastiffclub.org/ this is a great link and will give you tons of info on Mastiffs and health

Lucky Rescue
February 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Filas with correct temperament possess a quality called "ojeriza" which means hatred and loathing of strangers, although they are docile and loving with family. Considering that these dogs were bred to guard remote plantations against fierce predators and poachers (and sadly to track down runaway slaves and even kill them at the owner's whim) this quality is very helpful in this situation, but not in the urban world.

This is the only breed that may be shown and never touched by a judge as the judge may well be attacked.

Your dog may not be a Fila at all, but a mix that looks similar.

Bugsy
February 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Your dog may not be a Fila at all, but a mix that looks similar.

I agree Fila, Neos and Corsos look very much alike. Lea because you mentioned that his jowls are not as pronounced I'm leaning towards Cane Corso. Some have cropped ears. All three can be black. All three can have white on their chests & toes.

We'd love to see a pic of this sweetie!

Cane Corso
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/gallery/dogs/alphabetically/cane-corsos/Page1/
Neapolitan Mastiff
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/gallery/dogs/alphabetically/neapolitan-mastiffs/
Fila Brasileiro
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/gallery/dogs/alphabetically/fila-brasileiros/

Lea
February 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I checked those other links...Cane Corso and Neapolitan, and I still think he looks more like the Fila Brasileiro. He probably isn't full blooded at all, but he is very very handsome :D I hope to get a pic soon and post it.

It seems a lot of you guys are from Canada eh? Sorry, couldn't help myself! I always think of those 2 guys from SCTV yeaaaars ago, calling each other hosers and drinking all that beer! From all I have seen, it's a beautiful country- I would love to visit one day!

twodogsandacat
February 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM
From all I have seen, it's a beautiful country- I would love to visit one day!

It is and we would be glad to have you, just let us clean up a little first. In 2007 we plan on starting a little house cleaning and sweeping the Liberals under the carpet. Of course you can visit anytime.

Good luck with you beautiful looking dog. As Missouri pit bull rescue says "one mans junk is another man's treasure". I wouldn't look to hard for the original owner either.

Lea
February 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I THINK I have attached a pic that looks precisely like Ivan. I found it on defenderfilas.com. I will take you up on the hospitality twodogsandacat, when you get the liberals under that rug! Are you able to watch the Fox News Channel? That should help some : )

Lucky Rescue
February 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM
A bloodhound/Lab (or whatever) mix would look a lot like a Fila too!

I always think of those 2 guys from SCTV yeaaaars ago, calling each other hosers and drinking all that beer!

Never touch the stuff myself!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/beer1.gif

I much prefer a nice California Cabernet.;)