Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shiba Inu comments please

Jazzmanian
February 7th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
February 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I own a six year old Shiba female named "Suki." She's a great dog, with great recall, but I still wouldn't let her offleash in an unenclosured area; a Shiba Inu's hunting instincts are VERY strong and they tend to have on/off switch whe it comes to listening, and once they're off and running, it is impossible to catch a running Shiba (unless you have treats!)

I have heard female Shibas have a tendancy to be more dominant/possesive than males. Although she has a tendancy to boss the Scottie around, we haven't had dominance/possessive problems with Suki. Temperament wise, she's VERY affectionate and easier to train than thought; I've done a lot of research before getting Suki and most sources say that that the shiba is difficult to train. I really think it's a individual dog thing; some Shibas, like other breeds, are easier to train than others.

Hope this helps :) Sounds like a little cutie!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
February 8th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Glad to be of assistance! I used positive reinforcement for Suki; Shibas tend to get bored easily, so her training sessions are always short and use tons of praise.

Her breeder chose her name, and since it suited her so well, I decided to keep it :)