Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with Coonhound

Carrie_Ori
February 5th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Hello All,

I just adopted a Treeing Walker Coonhound. He is truly the sweetest dog I have ever met. He is five years old and was in a no kill shelter for 7 months. Lately (not all the time) he is acting like he is afraid to come in the house and will stay at the edge of the property. When I get close to him he will slink off low to the ground and with his tail between his legs. I know that nothing has happened in the house and he is not hurt. I am not sure what is going on. Suggestions please!
Also, he will not come into the house when he knows that we are leaving. Of course I know that he doesn't want to be left but we work and he is never left alone for more than 5 hours. Does anyone know how I should handle this?
One other thing. He will act deathly afraid of someone when he is around me but when I leave he will lay on the couch with them with his head in their lap. I know this is true because I came home early and saw this. When I came into the house he met me at the door and when the person that he was sitting with went to pet him he cowered down. Do you think he thought that I would be angry with him?
I have only had him for 2 1/2 months and we are still learning about each other.

Thanks for any sugggestions.
Carrie

Lucky Rescue
February 5th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hi and welcome!

Since this dog is 5 years old, you have no way of knowing what he has endured or what is causing his fears.

This is going to take time and patience to overcome. Do not try and rush this. He must decide when he can trust you. You must never comfort, soothe or coo to him when he acting afraid. Never chase or grab him, but let him come to you. Completely ignore his fear and go about your business as though everything is fine. Talk in a quiet and happy tone to him, using his name. Try and avoid looking him in the eye for now, as that is seen as a challenge or a threat by him. Toss him treats unexpectedly as you pass him or when he comes close enough.

Here are a bunch of links on helping shy, scared and abused dogs. And thanks for giving this poor guy a loving home at last!!:)
Scared dogs (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/dbfear.htm)