Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BAD house guest!!!

Vmar
February 5th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Hi all, we have an 8 mo old cockapoo named Lucky. He has visited my parents several times for day visits with no incidents. We went skiing for 2 days and left him with my parents overnight. They have a border collie. I was nervous of Lucky not sleeping-not an issue, and my parents dog being agressive-not a problem either. Lucy peed and pooped all over my moms very expensive oriental rugs and all over the house. They let him out regularly but he wouldn't go since he was too busy playing with their dog. He also didn't let them know when he had to go. We are going south for 1 week in march Im afraid we may have to board him in a kennel which Im sure he will hate. Mom is not mad but I can't have him distroying her home. Any suggestions???

tenderfoot
February 5th, 2005, 09:43 AM
He was stressed with you gone and it wasn't his normal rythm of life. Your parents aren't used to his rythms either.
If it is possible I would take him over there acouple of times in advance and go for walks with him and your parents. Help him know their place better and feel more at home.
I would suggest that they have him on a strict feeding routine so that he has more regulated bathroom times. They should also take him out by himself (not with the border), so that he can get some quiet exercise which could encourage him to potty.
They could use a doggie diaper or belly band for when he is in the house, and, if they were up for it, they could have him on the leash with them so they could monitor him better in the house.
If he is crate trained they could use that when they aren't able to watch him and be sure to take him right outside the minute he comes out of the crate.

Vmar
February 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Thank you very much Tenderfoot, I think you hit the nail on the head. I will try some of these ideas. In our hous he twangs the door stop to ask to be let out. Mom and dad don't have one on their back door since there is a bookcase beside the door. I will have to tell them to watch his signals and regiment his feeding. At night I have to stand at the door so he will go potty and I guess they just expected him to go. I didn't leave good instructions so I feel this is probably my own fault. Now that I know better, I will do better!!