Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Submissive Urinating

andone
February 4th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hi, I have an 8 month old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who apparently has self esteem issues. When I first got her, she was in a cage with her brother. The breeders had never pet them, never walked them or anything. I had to push her over to rub her belly, and she peed whenever anyone touched her. I got her four months ago, and she stopped peeing for a while, but she peed again last night while I was brushing her. Why is she peeing again, and how can I raise her confidence? :(

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Is she spayed? If not, get her spayed. Also have her checked for any urinary infections.

If all is clear and she is spayed, I suggest obedience training. Being successful at obedience raises confidence. I don't know why you pushed her over to rub her belly, but being pushed over is not going to help her confidence. The act of brushing her probably brought on this latest incident.

Never ever scold, punish or acknowledge the peeing in any way. If you do, the dog may think she has not been submissive enough, and will pee more. Just ignore it.

Here is a link with some tips on how to help your dog overcome this.
submissive urination (http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/submissive.htm)

Another link (http://www.dogdaysusa.com/behaviorcenter_urination.asp)

andone
February 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
it wasnt a mean thing to push her over, i was talking soothingly to her the whole time, and she didn;t pee when i did it

nymph
February 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM
We had babysat an 8-month old golden retriever for about 4 months and he first had submissive urination problem. Everyday when we came back home from work, he'd jump over and pee.

What we did to cure this was to
1. not look at the dog directly in the eyes, and
2. NEVER lower ourselves to his level and pet him, and
3. basically just ignore him during the first few minutes when we came home. This is harder said than done, but you'll have to control your own urge to pet him and sweet talk to him.
4. when friends came visiting us, we also advised them to ignore the dog, and only pet him after a short period of familiarization.

At the time that we returned the dog to his owners, he still occasionally pees when seeing strangers and occassionally visiting friends, but only very very rarely. Most dogs do outgrow this problem, so I've read.

Lucky Rescue
February 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM
it wasnt a mean thing to push her over

I'm sure you weren't trying to be mean, but you must look at it from the dog's point of view - she cannot understand your intentions. Being rolled on her back is an extremely submissive position for any dog, and will do nothing for her confidence which you are trying to build up.

Did you read the rest of what I wrote, and the articles I linked for you?