Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fence Jumping

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Here's the scenario:

Lab/Dane X : 100lbs+ Extremely good natured, listens well when given firm commands, great with all animals,neutered.

Problem: does not matter what size property he has, he insists on jumping over the fence and visiting neighbouring properties. He does not run away and comes immediately when called. He can be out for 5 minutes with two other playmates and decides that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

What we have tried or can't try: Moved to a much larger property, can't tie him out as wherever you tie him he will hang himself on the fence, a deck railing etc.. Can't afford to put up a 6ft cedar plank fence on 18,000 sq feet of property, rented a remote control collar that worked for 3 days and now he is impervious to it.

Any helpful suggestions that will not financially totally cripple us.

Writing4Fun
February 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I've heard of something called "border training". I don't know much about it (sorry!) but you might want to look it up. It involves walking the perimiter of your property several times a day - again, don't know much about it. Good luck!

Bugsy
February 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM
He may very well be bored and have energy to burn. Seeing he is part Lab he may just need a little more exercise. Obedience training may help too.

(LOL.. the grass is always greener on the other side I guess :p )

Good luck & keep us posted.

tenderfoot
February 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
He is just enthusiastic about what the whole world has to offer and knows he can do what it takes to get there.
I am first assuming that you have a 6" fence - nothing less will do for this dog. If you don't then you need to create an area within your yard that you can fence off with tall fencing.
Otherwise this comes down to management and training.
Make sure his come/sit/stay etc. are great from a distance.
You must also teach him to stay home. Sit in your backyard with long 20ft rope attached to him and have it loose. Have someone on other side of fence encouraging him to come over, and just as you see him thinking about leaving - you give correction 'dink' on the leash and say "No....... stay home" in your most firm tone. Keep challenging him, until all you have to say is 'stay home' and he doesn't even think of leaving. When you can just give the insruction and not use the leash to back it up then you are on your way to being off leash. This means time and dedication on your part.
Our "out" drill on our video shows you how to create imaginary boundaries to keep your dog in or out of a place.
You can also put a top on the fence by placing a 14"-18" extention support on top of the fence angling 45 degrees into the yard. Then stretch 4 separate strands of wire (or use chicken wire) from support to support, so when he goes to climb up he meets the wire and can't climb over or around it. Rather like the fencing you would see at a prison to keep the prisoners in the yard.

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks Tenderfoot. Our fence is only 5ft page wire. We did an extension in his favorite spot to jump to test it and he used the page wire fence as steps to climb up and over. Our area is restricted with regards to fencing. I will have to find out from the city what is allowable to put in place. I think our best bet will be to place him on a lunge line and work on the no, stay home theory. I'm hoping he gets it shortly as we have two neighbours complaining about him walking across their property. We border on 5 properties, so at least 3 of them aren't complaining yet. :sad:

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I suggest a hot wire, the kind used to fence in livestock. Not expensive, but very effective.

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I never thought of trying the white cording with a fencer. I used it enough for the horses and it's not costly. Thanks LR.

tenderfoot
February 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Just make sure it is low enough that when he touches it at least one of his legs is on the ground or he wont' feel it. But also high enough that he can't jump over it.

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I could use the tbar joiners that way it is about 6 inches out from the fence, he can't get leverage on the fence to climb it and can't get tight in to jump it. Hmmm. I will also work on the no off theory though, as I think the fencer might end up being a temporary fix. Thanks.

maddoxies
February 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Sorry this is going to be half a post. I found a great harness today at a pet store in Sherbrooke Quebec. The harness allows the dog leg movement, but restricts movement enough that they can't get that full stride to jump fences.

I left the product name and info in my car. I am not trooping out the the hotel parking lot tonight in my pjs to go get it. I will post the info tomorrow night (or Thurs) when I get back home.

We need to keep this pet store a bit of a secret. They have a number of items from the US with English only packaging. Heaven forbid that the language police should find out about them. It would be a shame to lose a good resource.

The harness is $45 Cdn at the store, much cheaper than adding fencing :thumbs up

BMDLuver
February 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Well, the collar worked off n on but he's a smart cookie and thinks he will give it a shot anyways. So he is tied out now but he still tries to go over the fence. He does understand the off command and will stop jumping as soon as I give it. Seems with the two girls though that he knows to bide his time and I won't look in a minute and he can go for it. So the harness is definitely worth a shot. The electric fencing is a good idea however, my neighbours with children do not think so as their kids will get zapped. :eek:

maddoxies
February 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Yummm, toasted brat !! I will bring the buns :thumbs up

Scott Pet Products Jump Restraint

I saw it at La Grande Menagerie in Sherbrooke $45 Cdn. I have not checked yet to see if the manufacturer has a web site. If other stores in Quebec do not stock it (because of the language issue), don't forget that Lyne is in Ottawa during the week and there is a Petsmart hear her hotel.

hounds003
February 16th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I have no idea about cost and haven't tried this but when I heard of it thought it sounded like it would work. Run a strong iron rod with pvc piping wrapped around it from post to post at the top of the fence. The pvc pipeing would spin when the dogs reaches it and the dog wouldn't be able to get a good enough grip to get over the fence, therefore give up because they don't succeed in getting out. It might be another idea to try on his favorite jumping spot to see if it does work.

BMDLuver
February 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
When you say "in" Sherbrooke, do you mean on Sherbrooke Street or in Sherbrooke Quebec? I'm hoping you mean the first. :o

Thanks Hound. The neighbours are going to get quite the giggle when they see various contraptions being tested out.

happycats
February 17th, 2005, 07:52 AM
What about invisable fencing?? (there is a no name brand for alot less money but supposed to be just as effective) A co-worker had the same problem, her black labX was a master escape artist, and her property was much to large to have to replace with higher fencing (to costly). She got the invisable fence, and her dog has not left the property since!

BMDLuver
February 17th, 2005, 08:02 AM
The collar I borrowed was from the distributor of invisible fencing. He suggested trying it out first. As it did not work, he felt that the invisible fencing would not necessarily be a deterrant either.

happycats
February 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Sorry BMDLuver,
I have heard so many wonderful stories about invisible fencing.
I guess it doesn't work all the time?
Thats to bad, I wish I could be more helpful.

BMDLuver
February 17th, 2005, 08:19 AM
No problem Happycats. I'm going to try that harness thing as it's not too costly and may just work. He loves playing outside so I would really like him to be able to do so for more than 15 minutes at a time. He's just a big goofball.

BMDLuver
February 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Scott Pet Products Jump Restraint

I saw it at La Grande Menagerie in Sherbrooke $45 Cdn. I have not checked yet to see if the manufacturer has a web site.

Found it online for $18.95 US. Says fits most dogs 20-80lbs. He's at least 100. hmmm Guess try it and if it doesn't fit return it.
Thanks Goldengirl!

maddoxies
February 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Glad you could find it online. It was in Sherbrooke, the city (I was there doing an audit). I know the harness gave a weight range, but looking at the package, I think it was to be used as a size indication. Let me know if it does not fit, I have a couple of ideas on how we might lengthen the body part of the harness to fit. (I drove back to Montreal from Sherbrooke last night in that snow storm, a white knuckle drive on Highway 10. Man, I hate that road) :crazy:

BMDLuver
February 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I would rather eat something on Fear Factor than try that stretch in a storm!

WeeZee
February 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on Invisible Fencing happycats.
I just filled out an online form to discuss with a rep
(hoping though that I can find a cheaper line)

I just had to help my husband chase down our wee love ... she was exiting the car off lead (the only time she is off lead is to and from the car) ... and saw a bird in the field behind us. She took off like lightening!

... hoping something like this will help as our yard is too awkward to fence in

:)

happycats
February 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM
hope it helps Weezee,
I know pet value sells a do it yourself invisible fencing, I believe it's alot less then the name brand one.
I think Petsmart might sell it as well.

wjranch
March 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I would NOT recommend invisible fence for this particular dog. The collar emits a sound they dislike when it gets within range of the sending units (perimeter markers)
I've seen a couple of invisible fence 'smart' dogs. A dog that is already at full speed will hit the area and pass through it in a blink....he MIGHT hear a 'blip' and then he's free and clear... :) "hmmm, what was that??"

I used to use my electric wire for my 2 large mixed breed dogs who enjoyed full freedom until they started bothering the foals in the spring. :D

They learn as fast as a horse does what it's all about... 2 zaps is all it takes for a relativly smart dog or horse to figure it out.... first snap "ouch! what the heck??" second snap "Oh damn! it was that wire! Stay away!"

It works, and I'm sure it will work for your dog as well..... but, I would pop it up about 2 feet INSIDE your perimeter fence on temporary posts about 18" from the ground.... Don't give him the chance to get his paws on the fence period!.
You want him to learn and learn fast! It makes no sense to 'nag' him with a zillion little zaps...like he might get if it's on the top of your existing fence. Let him get 2 good ones (with all four feet on the ground :thumbs up ) and he'll figure it out fast.
You won't even have to keep the line hot after that, just the sight of the yellow wire works wonders for the one dog I still have that was trained with it.

*Sidenote* Dont' leave it 'hot' when you don't need to.... your neighbors kids will not get hurt on it, I used to pay my farriers son 2$ to 'test' my fence for me ;) 20,000 volt, single second burst fence sounds scarey, it's not so bad, I've touched it myself.... and kids in rubber sneakers with only 2 feet on the ground will not feel much more then a 'buzz' up their arms if they touch it.

P.S. Very Important..keep on eye on him while he's in the 'hot zone' you don't want him peeing on the live wire :eek: