Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog will not stop jumping

Luvmypit
February 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Ok . This has been really the only problem I have with Capone now. He jumps up all the time. When hes playing, when people come in. The ignoring thing does not work because he just jumps and ricochets of us whether we are playing with him or not. It doesnt bug me having grown up with dogs and having them all over me all the time. But I know my friends despise it. I can't stop him from doing it. I tried grabbing his paws, ive tried ignoring him. He just thinks were playing when I ignore him. Any suggestions? He also does this on occasion on the leash when peopel are walking by (not often at all). But still I dont like it.

Jackie467
February 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure if this will work for you but it works great for me. try having everyone do this that he jumps on. cross your arms across your chest and look straight up at the cieling. normally dogs hate this and will stop and move on to something more interesting than a person that won't touch them or even look at them or in their direction. but make sure you do this everytime and everyone else does it as well. eventually he will get the idea and stop jumping all together. you can also add in a treat whenever he doesn't jump.

Luvmypit
February 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
I'll try that for sure. The problem is getting everyone to comply. But I think I will just have to get strict on this as it definately poses a problem. Thanks for the advice.

db7
February 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
OBEDIENCE.

If your dog is jumping on people, for whatever reason, he is not obedient. when folks approch tell him to sit/down,. if he doesn't do it see that he does. not complicated. very simple.

The dog does nothing without your say so. Sit/stay and the dog should stay put until released. If the dog isn't there yet, you should put the dog in it's crate when you have visitors.

Luvmypit
February 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hes fine once people get in the door. He jumps when people come in and he jumps when people play with him. really the family is the only one who actually plays with him. Hes obedient. He does sit but its like he cant control himself. He sits and his tail is wagging with bum coming of floor untill he loses his self control and jumps. I think I might try using a leash when people come over. I rather not have my friends come over then lock him up when they come over. Hes so good once everyone is in and hes gotten a good pet from everyone he will totally calm down. He loves people.

sammiec
February 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Briggs is similar to Capone. She can sit/stay... everything, you name it.. .but when people talk to her in a baby tone she oes bazerk! She jumps all over them.... I try and make her sit and try and pull her back... but they encourage the jumping... there are so many people in our building that do this that it's very difficult to control. They all say, "it's okay, let her jump..."

She's relatively good when it comes to people coming in the apartment and such, if you don't pay much attention when you walk in she will sniff and whip you.... but I think I prefer the jumping instead of the whipping! :p

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Briggs is similar to Capone. She can sit/stay... everything, you name it.. .but when people talk to her in a baby tone she oes bazerk! She jumps all over them.... I try and make her sit and try and pull her back... but they encourage the jumping... there are so many people in our building that do this that it's very difficult to control. They all say, "it's okay, let her jump..."

Oh how very true!!! This is exactly the same with my boy!! That baby tone voice gets him every time!!

A firm "DOWN" usually works for me....until people say that's "Okay" Then of course he proceeds to jump up :mad:

Writing4Fun
February 3rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
OK, here's what we did...

Make sure you do this with a flat collar, not a choke chain or spike collar. Put the leash on the dog. Put the dog in a "sit". Let the leash hang down to the floor and stand on it, so that it is taught but not pulling down on his neck. Now, make some excited noises or baby talk. He'll naturally want to jump up, but since you're standing on his leash, he won't be able to jump up and will correct himself. Whenever he stands with his four feet on the floor, or (better yet) sits nicely, praise like crazy. Took Phoebe three or four tries before she figured out that she's not getting her feet off the ground. We also make a point of making her sit whenever meeting people. She still jumps up when she's ultra excited, but a firm "Off!" gets her back into order. ;) Good luck!

Luvmypit
February 3rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys! I will try that for sure writing4fun. Very smart idea. He is pretty smart in most aspects just stubborn but that is a classic pit trait. I don't allow him to get away with much. So I will be consistent with this and let everyone know once he sits for them that they have to pet him. Just so he knows wow ok so if i sit they will love me. Ah huh. Atleast thats what Im hoping he thinks. lol.

Thanks again

DogueLover
February 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
I use "OFF" to keep Angel from jumping on anyone. She won`t even attempt it anymore. All I have to tell her is "off" when she comes toward anyone who she might jump on.
I would use the leash trick to teach it and call me a bad pet owner but I was taught this following technique from a very respected trainer.
When Angel started jumping up I was told to bring up my knee when she came to jump on me. She hit my knee with her chest and knocked the wind out of herself. I told her "OFF" just as it happened and she got the point. I felt really bad but she didn`t ever jump on me again.
The only other suggestion I would give is to tell whoever tells you "it`s okay" or anyone who encourages your dog to jump up that you do not allow your dog to jump on people and you would appreciate it if they would respect that. Most people may not mind but I think it shows bad manners if your dog will jump on people and some people get VERY OFFENDED or even scared by a dog that does that.
Just my thoughts............. I personally consider a dog jumping on me as one of my pet peeves........... I despise it no matter how big or small the dog is.

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=DogueLover]I was told to bring up my knee when she came to jump on me. She hit my knee with her chest and knocked the wind out of herself.[QUOTE]

I heard this too. I didn't know whether or not to post it! I did this with my ex's dog and I only did it once! He learned quick!! Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my dog :( . He tends to think it is a game!

That leash idea is great! I'll definitely give it a try!

happycats
February 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
I'm with you Dogue,
I don't like it when a dog jumps on me at all. Our neighbors have a boxer puppy, and he jumps like crazy like hes got springs in his feet. and when he jumps on my son he ends up getting knocked to the ground with scratch marks on his face.

In my opinion it can be dangerous to allow your dog to jump on people, what if it's a small child or an elderly person, serious injury can occur!!

I have heard that if you hold your dogs paws when he jumps and don't let go until he gets really uncomfortable, that this works.

DogueLover
February 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
My older sister has Great Danes, has had for years and she said that a big dog that jumps on people has no manners and has no place in any home. She also uses the knee to the chest but does it a little different. She grabs the dogs paws when he jumps up and then uses the knee to the chest. She only does this when the dog figures out how to jump on you when you do bring up your knee. I know it sounds really cruel but some dogs just dont learn or ( believe it or not) are smarter than us and figure out how to out manouver us. The trick with the leash may work but this dog sounds pretty determined to continue and I would hate to have him figure out that he can still do it without the leash on.......... and do you really want to have to have your dog on a leash EVERY time someone comes to your home?
I did watch a trainer take a dog down once, I would not recommend trying that to anyone who didn`t know what they were doing. She did it to a very aggressive rottweiller ( male 1 year old unaltered) He was jumping AND biting so she grabbed his paws and threw him to the ground and held him on his back in a submissive hold. HE WAS NOT HAPPY!
I am not sure what to suggest other than trying the leash thing and making sure he KNOWS that off means OFF. Hopefully he won`t continue after he finds out that he is not to jump. Sometimes just taking a step back when he tries to jump on you and having him not make contact along with a very firm OFF or NO JUMPING will work too.

Good luck! I know how frustrating that can be............ if I talk to anyone else who has had luck with other methods I will let you know.

tenderfoot
February 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Jumping is a symptom of lack of respect. A dog who respects people will not jump on them unless they are invited to.
We teach the "off" which means four feet on the ground. It is off of the couch, off of me, off of other people.
We can walk into someones home for a training and their dog will not jump on us to the amazement of their people. It can be as simple as the attitude you walk in with.
When he is jumping on you and you tell him off - Do not PUSH him down - that is a game to him and he doesn't take you seriously. Make your hand flat and palms towards him and you can "pop" the air in front of him. Do not HIT him that is not what this is about - setting a boundary with your hands and energy is very different than hitting him. Simply create a boundary that he is not welcome in and MEAN IT. If he jumps up and touches your 'popping' hand it will be uncomfortable for him and after a few tries it will no longer be fun and he should give up and hopefully sit asking "well what can I do?". When he sits then reward him with praise and soft touch.
Ideally you have to stop him as he is thinking about jumping up not when he is half way in the air - he can't stop himself then. So show him your flat palms and say 'off' just as you see him thinking about jumping up. This is teaching you to read your dog's thoughts and to react in time to help him make a better choice. Always use just enough energy to get results - not so too much so you intimidate him but not so little that he blows you off. Each time and day might be a little more or less according to his mood, and as he gains respect for your word then it will be come just the hand signal or just the word and barely any energy at all.
The key is that you re-create the situation and correct the bad choices and give him another chance to make a better choice. Pat your chest with energy and when you even see him thinking about jumping, you say 'off' and show him your flat hands be ready to snap them in his direction if he keeps jumping. Back him up and have a firm tone in your voice (not loud). Invite him in again, and again until he chooses to sit for his greeting.
The problem is usually people teach failure not success. A dog jumps up - you eventually get them off and then the day goes on - but the dog never learned not jump up. You have to give him multiple chances to make a better choice and then do it once more to enforce it and then reward the heck out of him for the good choice.

DogueLover
February 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I taught Angel the "off" command early in life but didn`t realize that it was going to be so beneficial.
Thanks for the post............ I am sure it will help a lot of people ( I can mention it to a friend of mine that is trying to teach it to her puppy)

Luvmypit
February 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Did I mention that i LOVE this site. You guys have been so helpful taking time out to write about this issue. I truly appreciate and now I know I have alot of methods to choose from. Super bowl Sunday party will be Capones first serious lesson. Wish me luck!

sammiec
February 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Briggs knows "OFF", she knows "DOWN" - all that. She never jumps on me... I can baby talk, I can jump up and down, whatever she won't jump.

I won't knee my dog.. but I don't even have the opportunity because she won't jump on me.. it's just the people that baby talk at her. She is fine with people that don't pay attention to her, that's not an issue... she sits wagging her butt.. nothing else...she knows who encourages her to jump on them, and she knows better then to jump at strangers and such... it's just annoying...

TobsterMom
February 4th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I'm finding it difficult to get Toby to stop jumping on men. I do not participate in rough play with Toby nor do I tolerate him jumping on me, but hubby insists on playing and wrestling. I eventually convinced him to stop doing that, but now when Toby sees a man come in, he thinks PLAYTIME. I think eventually he'll stop, he's getting better, but it is frustrating.

tenderfoot
February 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
So we have two issues here - jumping on people and energetic play with people.
You, as the leader, teach manners to your dog with other people. Have your dog on the leash (this empowers your word) and have the person walk up to the dog in a happy manner. Learn to recognize what your dog is thinking. As he is just thinking about lift-off you remind him "off". If you have to give him a correction on the leash to keep him off that's fine. Invite him to sit and when he does the person can slowly and softly pet his head and greet him. BUT if his bottom comes off of the ground then the person must stop the greeting and stand tall. When the bottom goes down again the greeting can continue. The dog will learn that in order to get what he wants (a greeting) his bottom must be on the ground.
REPEAT - REPEAT - REPEAT - remember that we must do things over again to ensure success and when the dog makes no attempt to jump on this person then you can lavish praise and reward. Be aware of the energy that influences your dog. Some dogs get totally jazzed by the littlest bit of praise and it causes their good manners to fly out the door. So do just enough to reward but not so much that you cause him to break.
You will have to do this in all kinds of situations with all kinds of people, because your dog has learned that such greetings have always worked in the past and he will challenge you for some time until you make it clear that such behavior is no longer tolerated. It can take minutes to days to change this behavior, but it shouldn't take any longer than that.

Rough housing with your dog is not a bad thing - it's part of relationship. Dogs need to learn 'let's play' and 'easy' or 'gentle'. We teach this by encouraging the dog to play with us and say 'play' while you are doing it. Don't play at maximum energy, just enough energy to know he's invested in the play. Do this for 5-10 seconds - then quickly stop the play and gently massage and stroke your dog as you say 'easy'. Dogs will typically match the energy level of the leader so he should slow down. But if he doesn't believe you and keeps playing then you firmly and quickly say 'quit' as you snap a look into his eyes - you can even hold him by the skin under his ears as you do this to ensure he knows you mean business. Then go right back to massage and stroking as you softly say 'easy'. Go back and forth from the 'play' to the 'easy' for just seconds each time and he should quickly learn to react to your energy changes. We can tell our dogs to 'go play' and they will lay into each other with full on energy and the second we say 'easy' they separate and back off.
So you can use the 'easy' instruction when the dog first meets someone to remind him to have calm energy with the new person/child/cat/bunny.

maddoxies
February 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Long ago and far away, I was taught the knee trick too. Since then I have been told that you could seriously hurt your dog doing this. The wrong angle and you could do serious damage, something about the chest and breathing.

Anyone else heard this ???? Lyne, am I right?

I have a jumping problem with Valentin. At 10 pounds, he can't hurt anyone, but those little nails scratch. I will have to look over the suggestions again and see what I can adapt to his size (mini doxie). I may have to put his body harness on him, rather than the leash/flat collar trick.

tenderfoot
February 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Kneeing a dog in the chest should be a last resort - yes, you can do damage.
A mini-doxie needs boundaries too - jumping up and down can damage his back terribly. When teaching a mini you need to start by sitting on the floor and create your boundaries at that level. Once he has learned then it won't matter. The body harness will do just fine for him.