Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gotta Brag!

Writing4Fun
February 2nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Phoebe's in advanced obedience classes now. A couple of weeks ago, I missed class because I was burning the midnight oil, tyring to get my site up and running. Anyhow, I got to class this past Saturday and was told that I had missed the "emergency drop" training last week. :eek: This is where you put your dog in a "wait" at one end of the room, run down to the other end, call her to you, and when she gets half-way, shout "Down!" and she's supposed to drop right where she stands. Yeah, right! Phoebe had no idea what was expected of her and we failed miserably during that first attempt. So I've been working on it with her for a few days now within the confines of our house, and she seemed to be getting it (about 75% of the time). Well, just now I called her in from the yard. She was running at me full tilt, so I thought I'd give it a shot (when we weren't in "training mode", so she wouldn't be expecting it). Well, she took a couple of steps after my "down", but then she actually laid down in the snow about 10 feet away from me! I'm so proud I could just burst! Now I can't wait for this week's class, just to show everyone how smart my little girl is! Oh, I'm such a proud mommy this week - first the baby starts walking, and now this! :D

Katherine1
February 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Congrats! Good reasons to want to brag. :party: Keep up the good work.

Lucky Rescue
February 2nd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Nice job you're doing with Phoebe!!:) Congrats.

Carina
February 3rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
Very cool! That is a hard one for dogs to learn. :thumbs up
What kind of dog is Phoebe? I had a big old mutt for years named Phoebe. Her nicknames were either Phoebelicious :angel: or The Enforcer, :evil: depending what kind of day she was having!

Iggette
February 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM
yay thats great news
Hugs from Buddy for Phoebe....good girl

Writing4Fun
February 3rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Awww...thanks, guys! I am so very proud of her. She's so smart, it's amazing. She makes me look like some sort of uber-trainer, when really we spend a few minutes a day on this stuff, but she picks it up so quick you'd think we trained for hours. Sure, she has her issues (a little SA, a propensity for digging and chewing anything made out of wood, etc...). Then again, just like in the people world, I believe that the super-talented are always a little off-kilter. ;)

Carina, she's a mutt (our obedience school calls them All-Canadians :D ). Her heritage is very questionable. We believe there's GSD & Border Collie in there, but we could be wrong. Some have looked at her and thought Belgian Shepherd. Yet others think she's a Coy-dog. To hear her bark, you'd think there's some kind of hound in there (she sounds a lot like the neighbor's part-Beagle). I really have to get some updated pics on here (bad Mommy!). :o Her nicknames are Phoebster or Trouble, depending on the kind of day she's having. :p