Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jealousy

Collie Mommy
February 1st, 2005, 03:55 PM
I am hoping someone out there can help! :love:
I have a 4 year old un neutered Collie Male, named Titus. He has always been loved, and well cared for. We have a daughter who is now 18 months, and yes there was an adjustment period for him, however, he is SO good with her.
Now, here is where I need some help, he " :sad: scents" her belongings, when we scold him, later that day, he will leave us a "message" in the living room, in the past if we leave my daughters bedroom door open, he has made a mess in there... What can we do to help curtail this behavior?

PLEASE HELP!!!!! Desperate MOMMY, who does not want to get rid of one of her babies!!!!!! (I know that sounds exterme, but our house is not a back-yard!!!) :eek: :eek:

Thanks for any advice!!

Collie Mommy :ca:

mastifflover
February 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
First of all get him neutered this will help a lot not only that it will save your dog from testicular cancer very common among intact males.

sammiec
February 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
First things first, he needs to get fixed.

Has this just started? What do you do when you scold him - yell, hit, push his nose in it, lock him away?? If any of these actions are what you're doing, please stop. This will not help. He needs positive reinforcement.
You have to keep him close to you, do not let him have the run of the house. Keep him on a leash near you at all times... watch he actions and if he starts to sniff and circle take him outside. You need to spend time with him in your daughter's bedroom, with her and the dog, maybe place a water bowl, or food dish in the room and play in there all together - he will begin to realize that this room is in deed part of the house and he won't want to go leaving "suprises" in there.

What do you use to clean the messes? Anything with amonia will lead him back to the spot. You need to use a natural enzyme spray that will break down the odours.

Hope that helps a little! :)

Collie Mommy
February 1st, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hi, Thanks for all of the help so far and just to clairify a few things, we DO not hit our beautiful dog, I / we talk to him in a "harsh" tone, and show him what we are not happy with, eg this morining he has scented her diaper bag, when he saw that I had it in my hands, he went into the corner by the back door, knowing that he did something wrong, and I took the bag to him and exclaimed "NO!!, TITUS, THIS WAS NOT NICE!!". He is very sensative, and like I said, he knows when he does something wrong. This was this morning, this afternoon my father went by the house to check something out (our washing machiene is acting up), and when he called me later, he let me know that Titus had made quite a mess in the front room. My dad let him outside for a bit. My dad did not acknowledge the "mess" to him at all, like children, he knows that it is not up to him to dicipline...that is for me...

I do agree that we need to neuter him, this has been a long standing argument with my husband (typical male jargin...) but, until our baby, and this acting up more than usual, it has not been much of an issue. We were also hoping to breed him at some point....(through a repital breeder...)

Any how, thanks again, and I am looking forward to more info!!

Collie Mommy... :confused:

GunnerX
February 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
I think you just opened a can of worms there. Put on your flame suit and brace yourself.

mastifflover
February 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Don't even bring up breeding here trust me not one of our favourite subjects because so many work in rescues or we foster and try and place all the homeless pets. Why is is men have such a problem with it and woman will spay a female without a second thought. Tell your hubby that it is in the best interest of the dog and your baby and yourselves. That is the truth, intact dogs will be more assertive and aggressive in many cases. I really think he is jealous of the baby and wants to be included more even just having him close he will feel more involved. Tethering him as Sammie suggested and include him with the baby

Lucky Rescue
February 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Most bites and aggression come from unneutered male dogs. All that testosterone is not really needed in a housepet. HOw much exercise is he getting? Does he work?(sheep, etc)

Yes, collies are very sensitive and must be handled gently, which it sounds like you are doing. However, intact male dogs often do have a problem with marking in the house. Another reason to have him neutered.

The suggestions to keep him tethered to you, and confined when no one is home are very good ones and should help retrain him. Also keep him out of the baby's room.
HEre are a bunch of links on dogs and kids that you may find helpful.
Kids and dogs (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/kids.htm)

Why is is men have such a problem with it and woman will spay a female without a second thought

Another man who has so much vested in a dog's testicles! :p I just don't get it...anyway, unless your dog is pedigreed, and has been shown to a championship in conformation and/or performance, been tested and cleared of all genetic defects common to his breed(has he?) he is no better than a mutt, and not breeding material. Breeding him would be ridiculous and pointless and just adding to the overpopulation of badly bred dogs. NO reputable breeder would allow one of his bitches to be studded by a dog with no titles.

If you have done all the above and your dog is in fact tested and titled, then just ignore what I said.

Collie Mommy
February 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
After discussions with my husband, and really it is a no brainer, we are going to have him fixed next week. As for the breeding aspect, he does have his papers, titles etc, and he was tested 2 years ago for any genetic eye problems etc. We did decide at that point however, that he is a family pet, and we agree that there are too many animals out there who need a home...(I am constantly looking for Collies to adopt) the breeding comment was really just in passing...our breeder was interested however, hence the testing...(now I am just rambling on...)

Thanks for all of the advice, and we will just have to see how things go...but we are going to try keeping him confined to one area when we are not home, and neutering him.

Thanks;

Collie Mommy :love: :love: :love:

mastifflover
February 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Keep us posted on how things are going Good luck

tenderfoot
February 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much for having him neutered. I was concerned about his behavior getting even worse after he had actually had sex, but now we have no more worries there. Remember it can take up to 3 months for the hormones to leave his system - especially since he is older.
I do think he is soiling the baby's things because he is claiming dominance over the child - taking his place in the hierachy. You as the leader of the pack need to teach him that it is not his place to claim anything. All things belong to you, the baby, the bag, the carpet, the chairs etc.
When you correct him for soiling things you have to catch im in the act or he does not take responsibility for it. He just thinks mom gets nutty when the diaper bag is wet - but he does not make the connection that he made it wet. He just knows you put lots of angry pressure on him for a wet bag - which can cause him to become confused and overly submissive or defensive.
You need to treat him like a puppy who can't be trusted. You need to start to re-train him - do all of the things you did when he was little until he can show you that he can be trusted again.