Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collar Itching Problem

BeagleMum
February 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Spencer is our 10 week old Beagle. I have been taking him outside to go to the washroom but I am having a real problem with the collar. I have a nylon buckle collar and if I leave it on him when he is in the house, all he does is scratch. He will scratch, walk 2 steps and then stop to scratch again. If I take it off of him, he will go crazy when I try to put it back on 15 minutes later (He can't hold it very long yet). I know that he is probably just not used to having it on but does anyone have any suggestions how to make it easier for him?

maddoxies
February 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
Try putting the collar in the washing machine. Maybe there is something in the new material that is bothering him. Make sure it is completely dry before putting it back on him.

Also, my sister used to collar train her puppies (5-8 weeks old) with a ribbon around their necks (closed with a dome or velcro). The ribbon is more light weight that a collar. Maybe he is just not used to the weight of the collar around his neck.

sammiec
February 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM
It's all new to him. It will take some time for him to get used to the weight and something being around his neck.

We started out with a collar that was very tiny - kinda almost like a cat collar or one that you would use for a toy breed. Very thin and light weight... then when she got bigger we moved up to a larger, thicker collar. Sometimes she still stratches at it.. and she's a year.

I'm sure he'll be just fine. :)

BeagleMum
February 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
The one that I have on him is probably only about 1cm wide. We were using a cat collar before with the normal buckle but it was hard to put on him because I had to make my own hole. That was why I switched to the plastic snap buckle one. Should I switch back?

tenderfoot
February 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
This one is a very sensitive soul. He is simply objecting to having a collar on at all. Some dogs just flip out when they have a collar on the first few times. Put it on him and keep it on until he stops fussing - wait about an additional 30 mins to an hour and then take it off or you can just leave it on all day (so long as you are home to monitor him). You need to desensitize him to it. Each time you put it on he might react - but do not let that stop you. In his own time he will adjust, but don't let him learn that fussing will get the collar off.