Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nervousness in the car.

Sadie's Mom
January 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM
First of all, just reminding you guys that Sadie is a 7 month old 7lb PomX female.

Now onto our little problem. Anytime that we go for a car ride Sadie gets very very nervous. She's normally such a tough and brave little thing, but she completely changes in the car. She starts shaking violently and whines the whole time. If it's just a quick ride that we're going for and I don't bring her crate she desperately tries to get onto my lap the entire time. If I try putting her in the back seat she tries to get back into the front and if she's unsuccessful she just lays down and cries. :sad: She's not as bad if she's in her crate and in the front seat beside me, but I can still tell that she's shaking in there and every few minutes she'll grumble.

I feel so bad for her! She's been on car rides since I first got her. She wasn't like this before, but I can't pinpoint when this behaviour started. From what I know she's never really had a terrible experience in the car that could have triggered this. We have obviously driven to places she doesn't particularly enjoy (like the vet), but most of the places we go she loves (like petsmart, her doggy-friends houses, my boyfriends house).

I try not to take her in the car unecessarily now. She's never eager to go anywhere. I really wish we could enjoy car rides together, especially when summer comes and we'll have places to go and people to see! Any ideas on how I could make car rides more enjoyable for Sadie? Anyone had similar problems?

TIA!

Katherine1
January 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Just wondering - did this start after a trip to the vets? Maybe she felt more upset after a visit and associates car rides with the vets.

Sadie's Mom
January 30th, 2005, 04:05 PM
That is very possible. I think that it started after she got spayed, so an overnight trip to the vets. But she honestly doesn't hate the vet. She's nervous when we're there, but still happy to see everyone and say hi. But that definitely could be around when the behaviour began, but it's only gotten worse since then and we haven't been back to the vet. Only good places. :confused:

twinmommy
January 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM
What about if you bring a frozen cheez-whiz, (or peanut butter) kong in the car, to distract her a bit? Gypsy used to,(and still does) whine when she doesn't get the front seat.......(I kid you not!! :D

Maybe she'll be more relaxed up front with you? Or does she do the jump-in-the-front-jump-in-the-back thing out of nervousness?? What kind of dog is she?

Sadie's Mom
January 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks Twin! That's a super idea. I'll definitely try that. I've never actually stuffed her kong, only put treats in it. But that would keep her distracted for sure. Does it usually become a giant mess as it melts?

Oops ETA: Sadie is half Pomeranian and half Manchester Terrier. Her dogster page is in my profile if you want to see pics of my baby!

twinmommy
January 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Giant mess? I put peanut butter in Gypsy's kong and FORENSICS cannot even find a trace!!! LOLOL. If they really like it, you won't have any mess, but just put a "blankie" on the seat just in case, and hey,maybe a blankie would make her even more relaxed (??)

p.s. she's a cutie btw!!