Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagles

Shamrock
January 27th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I am helping my daughter-in-law search for a dog for their home, and that is how I found this site. (which I just love!) :thumbs up

She is still actively looking and I am continuing to assist her where I can in finding the right dog to match their family, but am sure no dog expert.
I really feel a young adult rescue would be best, and have pretty well convinced her to go this route. They have never had a dog before, are complete novices. I just think taking on a puppy is a lot when you have absolutely no dog experience.
She is looking for a small family dog, good with children. They have a very large house. and a small but fenced yard. Kids are sixteen and nine, youngest very exuberant.
My daughter-in-law home-schools, so mom and 1 daughter are there throughout the day.

My personal preference always draws me to Bichons, Yorkies and other long haired breeds. I found an adorable Cairn Terrier/Shih Tzu mix that I just fell in love with..
However, the dog isnt for me. :D She prefers short haired dogs.
She is now considering a Beagle, a really sweet dog. From what I can initially find on them, this sounds like it might be a good match for an active and lively family and a busy high-energy household
They are hounds.. and this is one type of dog I know nothing of. Are hounds more prone to howling or barking?.
Firsthand info and experience is always the best. I wondered if anyone could tell me a bit about this breed?

Lucky Rescue
January 27th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I think a beagle would be a good match too.:)

Beagles are generally sweet little dogs, friendly and good with kids and other dogs.

They are hounds, so they do bark and bay, but if this one is not to be left alone all day in an apartment, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

They must not be let off leash, as they are impelled to follow scent and will soon be long gone. A fenced yard is certainly a good thing for this breed!

If your daughter in law wants a small, short-haired dog with a good disposition, I think this may be the right choice.

Katherine1
January 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM
:) Hi and welcome to the board. I think this is a great site too and very addictive LOL. I can't help you on the breed your asking about ( I have a chocolate lab) but I am sure others here more experienced with the different breeds will be able to answer your question.

BeagleMum
February 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I have a 10.5 week old Beagle. I am not an expert on the breed as this is the first beagle that I have ever had.

As for the barking, we find it funny. It isn't an actual bark like other small breeds, more of an extended bark almost like a howl. It is hilarious to hear him. He doesn't bark a whole lot, just at the cats when he can't get to them and then when we leave the house. But yes, I have also heard the horror stories about the barking. So far, so good.

I found that this website helped me out, check it out.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/