Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old English Sheepdog

raingirl
January 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
My question is regarding "Mickey"

(http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3954285&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=41f9215d10e99361-app4&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=)

I have never considered an OES before. I was just doing some reading up on them. Seems they require a lot of grooming. Does anyone know if you can keep their coat short?

I see that they are amazing dogs, really good natured, and this guy is already used to being home alone during business hours. It is unknown how he is with cats though.

I will at least enquire about him. I don't mind that he's already 6, he's still got a few years in him!!

happycats
January 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Oh raingirl, I just love him!!! :thumbs up
I had a border collie/sheep dog mix when I was growing up,
We took her to the groomer every spring to have her shaved down (except for her face) As the vet said its best to leave the face furry.(dont recall why).
She loved it when she was shaved, she would get so excited, when she saw her groomer.
And another good thing, was she didn't shed all over like most dogs, her fur would come out in clumps occasionally. (just pick it up, thow it out, no need to vacuum!!) :)
Good Luck

SpanielLuver
January 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
We have just adopted 2 of them through our rescue. They were both shaved due to being neglected in this area. They can be kept shaved and look really cute this way too, like a large puppy. Both were super in temperament. Love to give lots of kisses and very good with other dogs and anyone they come into contact with.
They make very good companions as they are moderate activity level. We just adored both of them as do the families who adopted them.

He looks like a real cutie, good luck.

mastifflover
January 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
He is sweet and he is not overly big probably just the right size. Go for it and yes you can keep the shaved but if you brush them regularly it is not as hard its when you get lazy it can get real messy.

Katherine1
January 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
What a cutie he is raingirl! Good Luck :thumbs up .

mona_b
January 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM
What a sweetie he is.He actually looks like he has Bearded Collie in him.Any long haired breed needs a lot of brushing.I have seen a few OES that do get trimmed in the summer.They are a very loing,gentle breed. :)

Good luck.... :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
January 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
So, did ya hear anything???? :D

chico2
January 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Good Luck Rain-girl...he looks really sweet :thumbs up

raingirl
January 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I sent an email and called them and left a message. No response so far.

It sounds like he would be a great dog for us. Etobicoke humane society doesn't have weekend hours though.

I will keep an eye on it.

Shamrock
January 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Oh, Raingirl.. he is wonderful, I love him!
He sounds ideal, and is just a nice average size. At six too, he is a mature dog, a bit more settled in perhaps.

Let us know - I'll sure be thinking postive thoughts for you!