Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs who "attacked" boys in Ottawa may not have been pit bulls ...

Faceless
January 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet ...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/News/2005/01/25/909120-sun.html

bluntman
January 25th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Link not working, but I just heard the same thing, turns out they may be bull masstiffs, and there was no real attack, just loose dogs and scared kids. This incident worked out, no one hurt, No matter what the breed, it could of been much worse. The only winner here was Bryant, he got more headlines.

oop's link working now

Loki
January 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Here is Bryant's comment from that attack, from the article that lezzerpezzer posted:

"The relentless, ferocious nature of that pit bull attack is all too typical of other pit bull attacks that we see time and time again," Michael Bryant, Ontario's attorney general, said in an interview from Ottawa.

"Kids on skates, people walking their dogs, people in their backyards should be free -- free from being concerned about being attacked by a pit bull."

PitPal
January 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
There he goes fear-mongering again. Nobody is safe if there is a single pit bull existing in Ontario, right? Statistically you're more likely to get killed in a car accident, or even shot, but those safety issues don't exist, 'cause MB doesn't speak of them, and he only speaks on threats to public safety. What a jerk, shooting off his yap without a second thought for the civil war he is brewing. I can't stand this freak. :mad: :mad: I'm not gonna say any more or I won't be able to get to sleep tonight... :yuck:
(Although - did someone not say that he is restricted from commenting on the pit bull issue while it is before committee??)

Spurby
January 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Seems Mr Bryant is always available to make a comment when a "pit bull" attack story hits the news, yet is always quiet when it turns out the dog wasn't even a pit bull, this is the second time i recall so far this has happened with him, remember the boy delivering newpapers attack story?? You'd think Bryant would have learned by now how things work with the media and so called "pit bulls" :rolleyes:

twodogsandacat
January 25th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Seems Mr Bryant is always available to make a comment when a "pit bull" attack story hits the news, yet is always quiet when it turns out the dog wasn't even a pit bull, this is the second time i recall so far this has happened with him, remember the boy delivering newpapers attack story?? You'd think Bryant would have learned by now how things work with the media and so called "pit bulls" :rolleyes:

I think the media needs to demand a statement from Bryant. Bryant is nothing more than a fear monger. I love it when stuff bites him...right in the a@@.

Remember the Rotti's not an issue statement made to Pulse24 yet they have killed on both coasts (CanadaWide) in recent history. Lyric the non pit bull who we never heard Mr. Bryant mention again.

I don't want to malign other dogs but it sure goes to prove that pit attacks are often a mistaken identity. Bryant wants to ban a breed based on a 'look' yet he has already made two mistakes with identification. Maybe the third time he will have his people email over a picture, consult his dog walker expert and then and only then open his mouth...say in an English accent...Oh Dear, that is a pit bull.

I wonder if he has his name sewn in his underwear so he can identify himself in the morning. I also wonder if he went to school on an athletic scholarship because if he passed on brains alone he must of been cheating. Then again we have seen on Pulse24 that he does worse when he cheats on a test.

lezzpezz
January 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I
I wonder if he has his name sown in his underwear so he can identify himself in the morning.
That is by far the funniest thing I have read today! I have tears :D

seeker
January 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Bryant , firing off at the mouth again about yet another pitbull attack , that wasn't a pitbull attack . As a matter of fact it doesn't even sound like it was an attack at all .
The guy is far to emotional about this , he has no facts yet he makes these comments because he is so consumed with the word "pitbull" before the story is even confirmed .
As Ruby pointed out yesterday the legislation is very flawed and it appears as if the Author of it is equally flawed .
WHY is he our Attorney General ?

twodogsandacat
January 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
WHY is he our Attorney General ?

I heard that when Dalton held interviews Bryant jokingly yelled 'PitBull'. Thirty seconds later he was the only Fiberal in the room so he got the job by default AND he learned a new trick.

Good Boy Mikey.

seeker
January 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
That's funny . But somehow I think there might be some truth to it .
Makes me wonder how Smitherman got his "position" . LOL

twodogsandacat
January 25th, 2005, 11:19 PM
He was outside having a smoke. When he heard 'Pitbull' he came running in. Of course everybody running out slowed him down and he missed the AG job but made it in time for Health Care job.

Any others you need to know about?

Spurby
January 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I don't want to malign other dogs but it sure goes to prove that pit attacks are often a mistaken identity. Bryant wants to ban a breed based on a 'look' yet he has already made two mistakes with identification. Maybe the third time he will have his people email over a picture, consult his dog walker expert and then and only then open his mouth...say in an English accent...Oh Dear, that is a pit bull.

I wonder if he has his name sewn in his underwear so he can identify himself in the morning. I also wonder if he went to school on an athletic scholarship because if he passed on brains alone he must of been cheating. Then again we have seen on Pulse24 that he does worse when he cheats on a test.

:D Too funny :D

I wonder if Smitherman can check into the foot in your mouth disease that is affecting poor Mr. Bryant? :p

twodogsandacat
January 26th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I would prefer that Dalton applies the foot in the a@@ remedy and boot that twit out. I wonder when he is going to realize that he really has no clue and the more he speaks the more he makes others aware of that fact.

Schwinn
January 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
:D Too funny :D

I wonder if Smitherman can check into the foot in your mouth disease that is affecting poor Mr. Bryant? :p

He's probably too busy trying to figure out how Bryant manages to get his foot in his mouth with his head in his butt. Circus freak.

I think we also need to make another media blitz, make sure everyone knows that these dogs were not pitbulls. I know there's fears of adding other dogs to the list, but I think that that should only be an issue if it was another particular breed constantly being blamed. Instead, it should prove the point that any dog can be a problem.

twodogsandacat
January 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Mr Bryant has already said in his Pulse24 interview that Rottis and Shepherds ARE NOT an issue and the Bill is specifically targeted at Pit Bulls. He wouldn’t lie would he?

Luvmypit
January 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Start emailing people. The only reason we got to standing commitee is by bugging the crap out of the news and MPPs. Not only will this give Bryant another case of foot and mouth, head in butt disease but will again prove that identifying a pit isnt any easy task.

Copper'sMom
January 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Email douglas_arnott@ontla.ola.org !!!! Your comments will be brought forward to the committee on Bill 132!! Must be in today before 5:00pm!!

babyrocky1
January 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Maybe that topic should be the one you go to committee with, Coppers Mom now that hes consistantly mis-identified pits or at least the media has and then he uses those storys to support his case. When it is found that they werent pits no one calls him on it. You would have to be careful not to completely attack Bryant but certainly mention it in a diplomatic way. Maybe it would be more tactful to just list the current media mistakes Im not sure. I think the committee would get it. Other groups there certainly critisized the media for constantly reporting sensationalised versions of pit attacks to sell papers, while not reporting othere dog atttacks. Another really good suggestion that was presented to the committee was that each time they report a dog bite story they should be encouraged to write a blurb about animal safety , education tips etc.

twodogsandacat
January 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Another really good suggestion that was presented to the committee was that each time they report a dog bite story they should be encouraged to write a blurb about animal safety , education tips etc.
Actually this was a recommendation by the inquest into Courtney Trempe's death. While the press can't be forced into anything they are really a business. The committee likes alternatives and recommendations they can actually put into play. Suggest that the government enter an agreement with the major publishers to pay a flat fee for a blurb on dog safety to be written at the bottom of a dog attack story. This way the government actually helps to increase knowledge of dog safety and the papers can see a benefit to publishing dog attack stories other than just pit bull attacks.

Just a thought.

Luvmypit
January 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
See now then Im sure that would be a good idea. It just gives the reporters more incentive to report these very attacks. Oh I just realized you said a flat fee. Ah duh... never mind.

twodogsandacat
January 26th, 2005, 01:38 PM
See now then Im sure that would be a good idea. It just gives the reporters more incentive to report these very attacks. Oh I just realized you said a flat fee. Ah duh... never mind.

C'mon what do you think I said?

Luvmypit
January 26th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I know what you said now. But I doubt that will incourage the papers to not just print pit stories.

twodogsandacat
January 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Maybe not as front page stuff but if they have to take some little story off the wire to fill 3 inches of space and they will make a few bucks printing a poodle bites story over some other filler they may take the poodle bites story and then attach a preformatted safety blurb.

I can't see getting that recomendation into play unless there is something in it for the newspapers.

babyrocky1
January 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I guess a good conscience wont do it right :crazy: Don't they have to have some componant of public service announcements? Maybe thats just tv come to think of it I don't think Ive seen much of that lately either.

Copper'sMom
January 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Email douglas_arnott@ontla.ola.org !!!! Your comments will be brought forward to the committee on Bill 132!! Must be in today before 5:00pm!!

I screwed up!! You can email him until February 3, 2005 until 5pm!!! This is the committee for the hearings on Bill 132! All submissions will be taken into account. This is in regards to the thread called "Bill 132 Info/Link" posted by Goldenblaze!