Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Puppy Eats His Paper

BeagleMum
January 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I have a 9 week old Beagle puppy Spencer. I am trying to paper train him and I know that it is normal for them to play with the paper. Some days, he will grab a piece and bring it into his bed. Kinda cute but I do not encourage him to do it. I always say "No" and put it back.

The problem that I am having is that he rips small pieces of paper off and eats them. I try to get it out of his mouth before he can swallow it but his razor sharp teeth make it difficult. Is it dangerous if he eats some of it?

raingirl
January 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Is it newspaper?

I would say if it's the Toronto Star, I wouldn't worry about it. My sister was on the team that developed the ink for the Toronto Star, and it's fully non-toxic and biodegradable.

other than that, I don't know.

I know that eating paper won't kill a human...just adds ruffage...heheheh

TobsterMom
January 24th, 2005, 01:34 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't paper train a puppy, it just becomes confusing to the puppy, and harder on yourself.

I don't think a bit of paper will hurt, God knows, my Toby has the corner on kleenex munching and paper shredding...but I would try to get her to not eat it. There are pee pads and other product you can purchase that might work better for you if paper training is the way you want to go.

BeagleMum
January 24th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I want to start taking him outside but it has just been too cold for the poor little guy. It has been around -30 lately and his bare little belly gets cold. As soon as we bring him out, he sits there, lifts a paw and starts to shake. I just thought that it would be better for him for the time being to try the paper. Also, we are gone through the day so I wanted him to be aware of where he should be going to the bathroom when he can't go outside.

I have thought about the puppy pads but a friend of mine tried them and her dog just tore them apart. I was afraid that if he was to do that then it would be more dangerous if he ate that.

I have been using the Ottawa Citizen and the Ottawa Sun. Does anyone know if the ink is non-toxic?

TobsterMom
January 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Your puppy should be crated when you are not home. He shouldn't have the run of the house, there are too many tempting things for young dogs and puppies to get into when left unattended. Again, in my opinion, it's going to take you longer to get him trained this way, and he'll probably get confused.

BeagleMum
January 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM
The dog does not have free run of the house. I have him in the bathroom when we are away. I am afraid to leave him in the crate all day because I am sure that he would be awefully dirty when I got home. There wouldn't be a whole lot of room for him to play and sleep and go to the washroom. I have him in the bathroom with half of the room papered. He is pretty good at hitting the paper.

Last night was a bit warmer so I took him outside and he went. But of cource, today it is going back down to -27 with the wind. He just hates the cold.

mona_b
January 25th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I have never crated,and have paper trained my dogs.Mind you this was 8 years ago and more(with previous dogs).Tron and Yukon were 3 months at the time.They were blocked off in the kitchen.Yes it was puppy proof. :D

They did at times rip up the paper and play around with it,and even eat it.Don't forget,these were 2 rambuctious pups.LOL.They didn't get sick.

I had absalutely no problems house training them at all.They did actually learn to hold it in even though the paper was down.They were taken outside,did their thing,and got praised for doing it.By 6 months they had free run of the house.I started taking away more of the paper till there was none left.

I know alot of people say to crate train.But to be honest,everyone that I know has never crated.They just blocked off some part of the house.Mostly the kitchen.Guess we are just old school... :D ..Just so you know,I have nothing against crating... :)

Now this is just my experience with paper training.And the experience of friends.And they too have had no problems.

What you can do is teach Spencer to "leave it"...And give him a kong filled with treats to keep him occupied.

Grissom's Mom
January 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Regarding the dangers of paper eating. My bunny, Riley (who weighs 2.5 lbs) is a constant paper eater. She eats newspaper (Toronto Star and Hamilton Spectator), cardboard, cardstock and any other paper she can get her hands on. It has had no ill effects on her in 6.5 years. It is roughage for her and it's fun for her to play with. I can't imagine Spencer would be harmed by eating paper, a little or a lot. You can trach him to leave it but if you come home one day and find he's eaten the entire sports section, don't panic. His poop will be fiberous for a day or 2 but that's it.