Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting a dog when you have 2 cats

marko
January 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Just curious what people think...

We have some friends that have 2 older healthy indoor cats around 13 years old.

They are considering rescuing a dog, because they LOVE animals and would make GREAT dog owners. They are in their mid forties and originally thought they would wait until the cats pass on before getting a dog. Now they feel they have just too much love to give and want to get a dog soon. THey say that they would not neglect the cats in favour of the new dog. They would pamper all 3.

The cats (because they are cats) would probably prefer not to have the dog around.

Should our friends get the dogs anyway? They really don't want to wait 3-5 more years until both cats will eventually pass on.

What does everyone think? Any advice?

Lucky Rescue
January 23rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
I got my last dog when I had 3 cats. They were between 6 and 10 years old and had never been near a dog before. Two of the cats ended up loving my dog, and one of them never acknowledged his existance until the day she died at 17.:p

I suggest your friends get a dog that is past puppyhood and who is used to cats and will not bother them. A puppy with older cats would be exhausting and could cause big problems.

They want a dog who will basically ignore the cats. Once they realize there is no danger from the dog, they should be okay although they may never like the dog.

glasslass
January 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Puss-Puss is almost 16 yrs and is used to me taking care of the neighbor's dog from time to time. While she's not particularily happy that we have the lost puppy staying here, she's accepted him. Two days ago, he tried to chase her outside. She stood her ground and hissed at him, whereupon he turned on his heels and ran back toward the house. She chased after him and gave him a big swat on his behind (without claws)! :evil: Now, he stands respectfully while she walks serenely past him without acknowledging his presence. I would say, it depends on the cats, whether or not they have ever been around dogs. I would suggest a smaller dog that will not be a threat to the cats. When my brothers come over with their large dogs, Puss retreats to the bedroom, which is off-limits to the dogs, and sulks til they leave. Adopting a dog that has been around cats would also make it easier. It's the excited barking and prancing that upsets Puss.

Iggette
January 23rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
I agree with Lucky.....In getting a dog that does not have a high prey drive or he/she might enjoy to chase the cats and in return although the cats could live another 7 years or so 13 is still old enough to be set in there ways so a dog that pays them no bother would be most beneficial to them.....

Wishing them luck :thumbs up

Karin
January 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
My bosses story, and she was a cat only person.

Marilou & her husband has only had cats all their lives. As of 2 years ago they were down to 2 elderly cats, BJ & Mandy. Last year they took in Hobo, a Rotti X Lab because for 2 years prior to the "adoption", Hobo would escape from a neighboring farm and run to our office. Everyday Marilou would call the owners at work and one of them would pick him up on their way home. (Happened so much, she had all the contact #'s) A year ago this month, here comes Hobo again, with many lacerations & bleeding. (The owners tried to barb wire his pen, didn't work)..The husband owner stated when he came to pick him up, "This will not happen anymore, I'm taking him home & bopping him in the head". Hobo has been in the cat house since. She too was worried, both cat's are hissers and spitters...Hobo is the peace keeper.
Since then, 2 more cat's have been added to the house, one more is getting closer...(and 1 in the office, Foxy).

Seperate at first so all get to know scents and be familar with each other ...but all can live in harmony. And the older cats have gotten their spunk back.

BMDLuver
January 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
is to go for it but ensure that the dog they consider is ambivalent to cats. That way the cats will actually be annoyed at the lack of attention from the dog and be more confident to walk around enticing the dog within reason of course!
For example, we have a mature chocolate lab in our car who is in foster with dogs and other cats. He has no interest in the cats so they barely even notice there is a change in the home.

happycats
January 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
I would say go for it. But i would definately get an older dog who has been raised with cats.
We have 5 cats, our oldest will be 17 this year , and our youngest will be 10 this year, we have dog sat a golden retreiver as well as a Keeshond both were raised with cats and completely ignored our cats.
We are considering adopting a rescue dog, probably this summer.
We don't want a puppy, as a puppy will probably drive the cats crazy :eek:

bluntman
January 30th, 2005, 04:45 PM
My nuterd male cat was about 3 when I got my pit bull puppy, puppies don't really mean any harm when they see there first cat, there just curious. She never tried to chase the cat, but did want to sniff it, to see what kind of strange looking dog it was, two or three scrached noses later she finally decided it might be better to let the funny looking thing come to her. After a couple of weeks the cat realized the dog was no threat, and they got along fine. It was the same thing all over when I got a rottiX pup a year later. It just takes time for animals to realize they all share the same roof, and that they are perfectly safe from each other. The cat got so attached to the pit bull, it allways come's along for walks with us, and that gets peoples attention.

happycats
January 30th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Bluntman, this is probably easier with young cats, but I don't think it would be fair to senior cats to bring in a puppy, they are at an age when they just want to be left alone, and don;t need a cold puppy nose up thier buts.
and puppies can be relentless at times, and I think it would be to stressful for a senior cat.
an adult cat friendly dog, I think would be better.
Just my opinion.

bluntman
January 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM
You are probably right happycats, that was just my experience with introduceing cats and dogs. He is ten now and still the same way, any one who brings a curious dog over gets the same treatment, a scrach on the nose, untill he's ready to make freinds, he is the head of the household and he knows it.

happycats
January 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM
my head of the household is going to be 17 this year, the problem is he still thinks hes a kitten, ,and actually tried to go after my brother in laws Akita :eek:(Akita was not raised with cats) . I worry about him having a heart attack, :sick: he is to old to be fighting off dogs My BIL had the dogs in my back yard, and my senior cat tried to get out to fight him :crazy:.
I have even stopped pet sitting cat friendly dogs, so my cat can spend the rest of his life in peace