Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone use Puppy Pads for small dogs?

canadianmom
January 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone
We are getting a 3lb Yorkie on Saturday :) She is 1.5 yrs old and I was told that she is not fully housetrained. I was wondering if anyone used the puppy pads for their dogs? I was thinking if she is only 3 lbs it can't be that bad I can just pick up the poops when she's done.
Thanks!

Leanne
www.thebow-wowboutique.com (http://)
Fashions for the Canadian Dog

BMDLuver
January 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM
We use them for the little dogs that come in as normally they are not very well housetrained. They have worked very well and we normally place them beside a door so that the little dog gets the idea and eventually we can just scoot outside for business necessities. We put a boot mat underneath to limit the travelling accidents.

canadianmom
January 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hi
I really like the idea of putting the boot mat underneath
Thanks!! :thumbs up

Leanne

glasslass
January 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
When we first got Corky (Mom's toy poodle), we used the puppy pads. They're great but Corky wanted to play with them and it was hard to keep them in place. They sell a frame that they're supposed to go in to keep them in place, but Corky would have pulled it out right away! Fortunately, winter doesn't last long in Calif.

ThaiGhing
January 20th, 2005, 05:43 PM
My sister has a JackRussel/Chihuaha mix named Candy. She is 5 years old. And she always uses puppy pads. She does the mat underneath as well because when Candy is done, she has a tendoncy to bring the puppy pad to my sister to throw out! LOL. Candy will not ( down right refuses) to take any steps in the snow... and being so small even a 2 centimetes of snow almost reaches her knees...LOL.... She will not go for a walk, or even out to do her business if there is snow or rain on the ground! They have no complaints over the puppy pad method... The woman my sister rescued Candy from lived in an apartment (with no elevators) on the top floor... so she used to put the puppy pads on the balcony... IT worked for them... And is still working very well..Hope this helps
Jenn and Thai

Batman
January 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM
We use a puppy pad for our 5 month old Rat Terrier (10 pounds). Basically he goes outside 90% of the time. He uses the puppy pad which we place near the door, when he is home alone and when we might of missed his "I gotta go" signals.

I have also heard of litter training small dogs, which in fact ours basically is only his litterbox is outside on our balcony. He also knows to go outside on grass etc.

Good Luck!

Shaykeija
January 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I have a Shih Tshu and a terri poo. We keep a pee pad down all the time for them "just in case". It gets so cold here that Missie the poo falls over. So we let her use it. No biggie...

DogMa
January 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I have a friend with a Shih-tzu with ill health, and she has been using the pee pads for months now with great success. Pup (18months) uses it faithfully, running from whereever she is in the house to the pee pad to do her business. She poops outside though.