Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

63 neglected cats discovered during traffic stop

heidiho
January 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
ROSWELL, New Mexico (AP) -- A routine traffic stop Wednesday led to the discovery of more than 60 sick and hungry cats in the back of a moving van driven by a 71-year-old woman.

Mary Jane Lyle pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of animal cruelty at a court appearance. She was being held in a Chaves County detention center.

If prosecuted, the charges carry possible prison time.

An officer pulled over the van because one of its taillights was out. While the officer was talking to Lyle, he heard noises coming from the back.

"Our officer heard a cat that appeared to be injured in some way," said police spokesman Robert Giles.

Lyle said she had a cat. But when the officer opened the back of the truck, he discovered 63.

Two of the cats were dead and the others were "in various stages of health," Giles said.

The cats were turned over to local animal control officers.

Police said Lyle was traveling from Minden, Michigan, to Tucson, Arizona.

mastifflover
January 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Wow. I love my dog but I don't think I would have 60 dogs. I think if you are relatively normal you have limits. Poor animals

heidiho
January 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I know that is just cukoo

mastifflover
January 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
You noticed I wrote relatively normal I never claimed to be totally normal

heidiho
January 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
:D :D :D Yeah i am far from normal myslef..

BullboxLover
January 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
How the heck does someone acquire 63 cats, and how did they all fit in the van? Crazy person!!

BMDLuver
January 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
LR can probably tell you many stories of older women living alone with a large collection of cats. This is rather common. Quite often they get overwhelmed with all of them or are not in the best mental state to even recognize that there is a problem. Older women living alone quite often suffer from mild dementia. It's sort of sad in a way.

heidiho
January 20th, 2005, 04:03 PM
That is one reason i dont have a cat,dont want to be the single girl with the cat.. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

chico2
January 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Seeing I AM an older woman,of course I still have my hubbie to limit our cats to three,if I was on my own and could afford it,I probably would have a couple more :love:
I know of a lady that has now 10 cats and she lives in a van here in Oakville,the cats are kept in a local Pet-Value store,the owners of the store wanted to help them over last winters cold,but it's been more than a year now and the cats are still there.The van-lady used to have 15 cats.
But keeping 63 cats is an compulsive disorder,it's not for the love of cats :mad:

chico2
January 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Heidi,you'd be surprised how many men I know who have cats,a cuddly cat or two,might be perfect for you :thumbs up

heidiho
January 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I know,i am kidding but i would hate to get a cat,then when i am financially ready for a dog i get one and they dont get along,my heart is with a dog,so i will just wait for a dog..