Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One More Question About Two Dog Households :)

les
January 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I have a 7 month old chocolate lab and am thinking of getting another dog. Originally I was looking at petfinder and all humane societies around me. All of the dogs I was originally interested in were all adopted before I could get to them.

I found a lab rescue located really close to me and I think I'll go with that instead.

My final question (until I post pics of the 2 of them;)) is ... can I be sure Jersey won't be peeved at having a live in buddy? She loves other dogs and loves to play which is why I think she'll love it .... but I worry about the other option ... what if she doesn't?

Lucky Rescue
January 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but your best chance of success will be with a laid back male.

Two spayed females can often have serious dominance issues, resulting in fights.

LavenderRott
January 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Seven month old lab pups are pretty active. I don't think I would have the energy to try to train two pups at the same time.

Lucky Rescue
January 19th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Seven month old lab pups are pretty active

Right. Personally, I wouldn't get a second dog until the first was 1 1/2 - 2 yrs old, and then I would get an adult.

les
January 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I know that having two young dogs would be alot of work and I've been debating getting one now or waiting. Also I'm looking at ones older then Jersey.

My thinking was getting another one now would be good/better for them because they would grow up together.

I'm torn about what to do! :rolleyes:

LavenderRott
January 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Your dog has you as it's family. If you spend time with your dog, walking, training, playing, grooming and all of the other stuff that goes along with responsible dog ownership, then your dog doesn't need a companion. It already has one!

While growing up together may be a great thing, in theory, it is a LOT of hard work for you! Twice the training, twice the exercise, twice the vet bills, etc.

I haven't had a pup in years, and there was a time when I would have not hesitated to have two pups in my house at once. But those times are long past. The next pup I get will have my undivided attention (so far as dog things go) so that it can be the best dog it can be.

Carina
January 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Les, if you are seriously considering another dog, I'd definitely consider an older, already trained/mannerly male. At least two years old.
Definitely not a female; it's too big a risk. Two young females might get along great initially, but as one or both hits maturity there's a chance that will change.
I don't know that there is any benefit to the dogs "growing up together." There can be great benefit for a younger dog in learning the ropes from an older one, though!

Karin
January 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM
What LR & Carina said....in most species, canines included, the female will always try to be the alpha. Two females can mean 2 alphas fighting for position. This is not a hard, fast rule...I have seen 2 females get along great but why chance bringing a new one home just to rehome her later.

schnauzerlove
January 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I thought I would share our experience of adding a 2nd four-legged member of the family.

When Shelby, our female Yellow Lab, was 1 year, 4 months old, we adopted Jimmy, our Mini Schnauzer. He was 11 weeks old. Shelby adopted him as her own. We had no issues of dominance from Shelby (maybe a few from Jimmy) and Shelby was very respectful of his size (about 6 lbs when we got him).

As Jimmy grew (he's about 10 lbs now), Shelby learned she could play a little rougher with him (and he gives as good as he gets). They are the best of friends.

I don't know if all labs are like our Shelby (she is our first), but I wouldn't hesitate to introduce new dogs to her. She loves Jimmy and has taught him many of the ropes around our house (housetraining, etc.). Maybe it's because Jimmy was a male and a puppy, I can't say for sure, but if Jimmy had been a female, I still don't think we would have had any problems.

Just thought I would share. :D

wAggie
January 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM
oooh!

what a great thread! lol

as much as I wanted another dog for Chocolate when he was 5+ months, I got kittens.

growing up, they were awesome together.

as time went on w/o them, Chocolate quickly grew depressed. I KNEW I had to get him another companion, age/sex was not an issue.

as it turned out, we got a 1 yr old female, similar breed. we've been all "together" just over a year now and life couldn't get better.

sure there's ups and downs, u gotta remember jealousy IS a reality. so try to minimize it as much as possibly by being fair. (remember, u got two hands for those rubs and hugs!! :crazy: )

all in all, I would strongly recommand u gain more "control" of ur puppy so that she's a suitable adult with some manners :thumbs up who's learned ur lifestyle (ie., what's acceptable and not) rather than bringing in ANOTHER puppy.

2 against one, u'll never win. don't make urself stress over the puppy u love! be patient. waiting til she's 1.5 yrs at least.

imo :queen: :) :party: :D

:grouphug: hugs from all of us