Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My male cat won't stop chasing my female!!

fred04
January 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM
This has been an on going issue since we brought our secound cat into our home in Sept. 03.

I have two cats, Guss(M) and Pancake(F). We moved into our apartment last Sept. Guss has been with me since he was a kitten. I brought home an adult female from the shelter last Sept.

About a couple times a day, Guss will sneak up on Pancake and bat at her with his paws. :mad: Mind you, Guss is declawed, but Pancake is not. My hubby calls it "Guss taking cheap shots of Pancake." Since Pancake will be sound a sleep in her basket or just staring into the fire, minding her own business and Guss will run up and hit her. Or, like this morning, Pancake came over to my hubby and I, rubbing herself against our legs, purring away and the fat terror runs up and hits her!! :mad:

We don't understand why Pancake takes it. She is such a fiesty thing and has claws! She could shred Guss if she wanted to. I guess he's the alpha in the house.

It took quite awhile for Pancake to come around when she first came into our home. In my opinion, she was either semi-ferral or mistreated because you use to not even be able to touch her without her growling and scratching you. Now she's great! Still fiesty, but really sweet.

I don't know what to do about Guss! It makes me so mad when he hits Pancake. Normally, Guss is the most laid back, easy going love bug on the planet. We have tried getting after him, spraying him a water bottle but nothing has made him stop. I'm thinking about seperating them at night b/c that's when it happens the most.

Any suggestions please????!!???

raingirl
January 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Sounds like Pancake is more alpha than him and he senses that. He wants her to get all riled up and fight for the alpha maybe. But because she is shaking it off, she is actually being more alpha than him??

Just a guess....

Do you want guss to stop, or pancake to fight back?

fred04
January 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I want Guss to stop. Why would I want them to continue to fight?

raingirl
January 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I figured you wanted them to stop, but by pancake fight back once, it might make them stop.

I don't really know, because I don't know cats well.

Is it stressing pancake? if not, then maybe you shouldn't worry about it.

Maybe gus knows that it bothers you (since you are reacting to it) so he keeps doing it, maybe it's an attention thing? Try ignoring when he does it, and pay attention a lot to him when he doesn't and see if that helps.

mona_b
January 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Maybe he just wants to play with her?

I have a 16 month old (M)cat and a 10 month old kitten(F).Casper was 6 months old when we got Winnie.Winnie was 8 weeks old.

They each take turns being a poop disturbers.LOL...Winnie could be just walking around and Casper will pounce right on Winnie.Or vice versa.Or they will stare across from each other and do the flying high attack.This is just all play.And 10-1,Gus wants to play with Pancake.And trust me,Pancake will get back at Gus.... :D ...Winnie only started getting back at Casper when she was about 4 months.

If Gus isn't hurting Pancake,then I would say don't worry about it.But once again,Gus has a playmate and just wants to play. :) ...I'm sure others would agree.

Also,are they fixed?

fred04
January 19th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Yep, both are fixed. No hanky panky going on.

Pancake is generally a nervous cat. She only sleeps in enclosed areas, like baskets. And she looks really scared when Guss is hitting her. When I first got her, she would only stay in her basket, now she comes around more. More so when she's hungry. :rolleyes:

chico2
January 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
From my own experience,unless it turns into an ugly cat-fight,I would not intervene.Maybe Guss is jealous??
One of my cats,Chico,is sooo jealous of our youngest cat,he'll come running every time he hears us talking or cuddling Vinnie and he'll swat at Vinnie,but he can take care of himself.
Maybe Guss feels he's losing attention,since he used to be the only cat,make sure you love and cuddle him as much as you used to and do not punish him for feeling the way he does.
If a fight breaks out,use a spraybottle of water to break it up..

fred04
January 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I do think it is jealousy. I feel so bad for Pancake though. So you think I should just let Guss start batting matches and not intervene? I have gotten mad at him for starting this in the past, he gets really upset and mopes around when I do. I do try to give equal love to each, but Guss is a very needy cat! If I'm home, he constantly follows me around and is either on my lap or in a basket close by. What can I say, he's a mama's boy! :p

I feel Pancake does need attention too since she is more reserved. But she is way more a 'on my terms' kind of female. Guss is a love glueten, he'll take it all!

chico2
January 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Actually Pancake is probably just being a typical female cat,in my opinion male cats are more needy and clingy,I have three male Velcroe-cats :crazy:and I adore them all :love:

fred04
January 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Actually Pancake is probably just being a typical female cat,in my opinion male cats are more needy and clingy,I have three male Velcroe-cats :crazy:and I adore them all :love:

I agree. Males tend to be more affectionate than females.

SarahLynn123
January 20th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I have that same problem, but mines between cat and dog. The cat will sneak up and try to jump Belle and smack her and run, she ignores him unless he crosses the line, then she will bark at him and chase him under the table. No fights have broke out yet, and neither have been hurt.

fred04
January 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Silly animals!

Guss better get over this jealousy thing. In the next 6 months I'll be getting a rescue pug and a large shelter dog. He better try this funny business with them. I have a feeling the little bugger will. :rolleyes:

glasslass
January 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Gus sounds like a little boy trying to get a girl's attention! Love the name Pancake. Made me think of a cow my parents had when I was little named Buttercup. Her calf was named Cupcake.

chico2
January 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Fred,although I salute you for rescuing a couple of dogs,I hope you are prepared.It's not an easy task introducing cats to dogs .
Poor Gus is unfortunately declawed and could be defenseless against the dogs.
I hope you have info on the dogs,that they do not like cats for lunch :evil:
I guess the little pug is not much danger,mind you they can be feisty...but the larger dog will scare the daylight out of your cats,if they have never met a dog.
You say you are in an apartement,I hope it's a large one :D

fred04
January 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not having two dogs and two cats in a condo! Are you nuts! ;) I guess I should have mentioned that I'll be in a house by that time.

Do not worry, I have no intentions of bringing home a kitty-eating pooch. Don't you think I would make sure the large dog that I adopt has no problems with cats? The dog I bring home from the shelter will basically be a big mushy pot. Nothing high energy, high prey. Most likely an older canine that unfortunately wound up homeless.

And for the pug, of course I will specify my pug will have to be kitty and dog friendly.

I mean my kitties came first. I wouldn't bring something home that did not get along with them. And I will do a lot of reading up on proper ways to introduce cats to dogs.

chico2
January 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM
Phew Fred :thumbs up I am happy to hear that :D Some people,would dump the cats for dog-ownership,if they ran into trouble.
I certainly did not mean to offend you,just did not know your situation very well.Just that you had an already jealous cat.
I would love to have a dog,but at this time of my life the 3 cats are just about all I can handle,very demanding little sweet darlin's :love:
As for advice on introducing dogs to cats,this Forum has some very experienced people on that subject,who can help you when the time comes.