Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor dogs in shelters

sammiec
January 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I was going through some shelter/ humane society sites. It's such a maddening thing to read that each dog brought in requires crate training, house triaining, needs shot, needs to be fixed... some of these dogs are 1 -2 years old! What the "H" are people thinking? Do they think the animals figure this stuff out on their own??? :mad: :mad:

mastifflover
January 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM
What do you mean Briggs did not come perfectly house and obedience and crate trained. You actually had to do this funny I thought they taught themselves. I really think people believe they learn to do all these thing on their own. Do they not realize you have to work to have a well behaved dog.

sammiec
January 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Well, Briggs is prefect... but we still had to work on a couple things;)

It's just so disheartening when you read the descriptions at the shelter. Needs to be spayed ASAP.... needs obeidence training.... needs.. needs...needs... these poor dogs are dumped because they make a mess in the house, they chew and they are hyper...guess it's just too expensive to invest in your pet! :evil: I wsh those dogs could dump their useless owners...

mastifflover
January 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I think you should have to take a mandatory obedience course wtih your adopted pet. First of all it might give those who do not put any thought into getting a dog a reason to think about it first and realize the work involved. Also if you are not serious you are not going to agree to a course that is going to help you and your dog bond and learn acceptable behaviour