Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solution for THS dogs?

Schwinn
January 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I was looking at the OSPCA web-sites, and I noticed that a lot of the sites outside of Toronto have few dogs. How come they don't transfer them to other OSPCA's in the area? My understanding is they are affiliated, so I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with the other ones taking them, and if it is a transportation issue, I don't think they'd have a problem finding volunteers to take them (I know I would). Just a thought. If they're having such a crisis, it seems only logical to transfer them to sites that have room.

Writing4Fun
January 19th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think it might be a space/budget issue. I've been to the Parry Sound OSPCA, and it looked like they wouldn't have room for more than a handful or so adult dogs at any given time (and maybe a couple dozen cats). Also, because the population is not as large up there, they probably get a smaller slice of the monetary pie, so they wouldn't have the resources to feed & care for that many animals.

But, you could always contact the THS and add your name to their list of volunteers, indicating that you'd be willing to transport animals to other shelters if needed. I'm sure they'd appreciate it, and might take advantage of the opportunity if it's there. :thumbs up

Katherine1
January 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Just a thought. If they're having such a crisis, it seems only logical to transfer them to sites that have room.

I wondered that too! Back when I was looking, our local ospca did not have any puppies or dogs of any age for adoption but I noticed that the Toronto one had lots.

raingirl
January 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I know what you mean. THe brampton Animal services has at least 30 kennels, but only 5 dogs there right now. They could take more i'm sure!

mastifflover
January 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Actually the OSPCA does transfer animals to different shelters. I was talking to Jason in Kingston and he was telling me they don't get as much calls for puppies so they transfer to others where they get placed faster. He was willing to transfer a dog there to Toronto for someone who wanted an older dog he had. So they do but I imagine it has to do with funds and the amount of volunteers that can do transport for them.

LL1
January 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
THS used to do transfers but is not as big on it lately,they say it effects their adoption numbers.

Jason from Kingston Humane does take dogs from other places but will not take Pitbulls.Last Pit he took from another shelter he euthanized in spite of the sending shelter pleading to get the dog back and spare it from euthanasia.

Schwinn
January 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
THS used to do transfers but is not as big on it lately,they say it effects their adoption numbers.

Jason from Kingston Humane does take dogs from other places but will not take Pitbulls.Last Pit he took from another shelter he euthanized in spite of the sending shelter pleading to get the dog back and spare it from euthanasia.

Nice! I may be jumping to conclusions, but is it an anti-pitbull issue? This seems like someone the Humane Society head office should have a chat with.

If I am jumping to conclusions, sorry Jason!

LL1
January 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
He's high up at the Humane Society - it is a "shelter decision" now as far as I know. I know of another shelter who tried to implement it as well but didn't. There are also several rescues that rescue all breeds that will not take Pits and other large breeds.