Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

grooming cat

fisher
January 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Does anyone have any advice for shaving or clipping a Himalayan? Mine is 13years old and I don't think either of us can go thru another spring shedding season. He has an exceptionally heavy coat this winter, and it easily mats despite almost daily combing. I have hesitated to clip him in the past for fear of making him itch or traumatizing him??? I don't live near any professional cat groomers. Any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
January 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Your vet can probably groom your cat. You can have him clipped if you wish, but at 13 I don't know how well he would react to this if he's never had it done.

You can have him shaved - usually they do just the body and leave the head and tail. He won't look very pretty but if he has mats all the time he'll be more comfortable as long as your house is warm.

Shamrock
January 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM
My himalayan has an easy care coat, but the persian has the cottony fur that matts very easily like your cat's. She's had a number of periodic lion cuts at the groomers. (shaving) These didnt cause itching or tramautize her, however I started her at a young age. (she's now 5) If your himmy has not been shaved before, I agree that it might be a bit of a stressful ordeal for him now.
Is their a groomer that could come to your home at all, or one that works out of their own home?
A vet can do the shaving also, some sedate the cat first though. You would want to confirm their methods.
There are also the home clippers that some people use for their pets, I have never tried these.

The matting does feel dreadful for them if it becomes a problem, the shaving is a wonderful and light feeling that they generally love. Often they become very frisky and kitten-like again for a while.. nice to see..
They will feel chilly and sometimes shiver for the first few days, even in summer. With a senior cat, you might even consider one of those tiny doggie sweaters, if he will wear it.
The fur will grow back in approx six months, depending on the cat.
If you do opt for the shaving, I would reccomend to clarify with whoever is doing it that you DONT the tail shaved. Sometimes they just leave a little pom-pom on the end. The tail fur takes up to a year to grow back.
Incidentally, you may be very aware of this already, but the himalayan fur once shaved will grow back in considerably darker in colour, and sometimes kind of blotchy. They gradually lighten up, but not always to the light shade they formerly were.
As your kitty is now thirteen, his coat is likely already a darker shade, and so you may not notice any difference at all.
I have pics of my cat in a before and after lion cut - just pm me if you would like to see the "look".

Cinnabear
January 19th, 2005, 12:10 AM
If your planning to shave him yourself, you could turn on the shaver so he could get used to the sound. Actually I was surprised with my cat, she allowed me to shave her. But be prepared it may take 2 days to shave him. If they start fighting its time to call it quits and start again another day. :thumbs up

fisher
January 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I will definitely give it some thought and make a plan before spring "shedding" time. No one would believe how easily that "wooly" fur mats -and it seems like the more you comb it the more there is! My other Himalayan has a silkier coat and is easily kept tangle free. Yes, I would love to see pictures if anyone is able to post some. I appreciate all your thoughts and ideas!

Shamrock
January 19th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I hope it's ok to post a pic here? Here is one pic of Miranda, taken same day of a lion cut. She is looking pretty bare... but it only takes about 2-3 wks. for a softer smoother look. Good luck with your kitty, I hope you are able to find a workable and comfortable solution for him.
[IMG]

fisher
January 19th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Thank you. Miranda is very cute with her cut. That gives me an idea of how it looks.