Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Retriever Free to good home...

ThaiGhing
January 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I am sickened by the advertisement:

"I have a 1 and a half year old male golden retriever who is great with kids and loves lots of attention but he needs more space to run and play like a big back yard and someone who can walk him more often. This townhouse is too small for a big dog he needs more freedom and attention. He has all this shots but he is not fixed. I love my dog but its a sin to to keep him locked up in this little town house. Free to good home only."

Did these people think that the cute little puppy they bought was going to stay cute and little??? Did they not realize that a golden retriever was going to be a larger dog?? This makes me sick!!

There is a phone number and email address, if anyone in interested in this family pet, just pm me.

Some people should not be able to purchase animals!
:evil:

meb999
January 18th, 2005, 11:32 AM
You should definetly contact golden retriever rescue...they'll find him a forever home.
'Free to good home' often attracts animal testers or even worse.... I would contact the people in the news paper and tell them Golden Rescue will pick up their dog. Good luck!
http://www.golden-rescue.net/cms/

mastifflover
January 18th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Mention the golden rescue and also tell them what will happen to free to good home. Unfortunately most people have no idea, just like they have no idea the dog is going to grow and not train itself. But forget about the stupidity of people who do no research about breeds but at least lets save the dog the fate of "free to good home"

raingirl
January 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Can I just say something.

First of all, prior to coming here, I was looking for a free to good home dog. Not that I'm a bad person, but as a person, why pay when you can get for free right (I'm sorry, but it's logical). Also, the general public doesn't know that things like rescues exist. If you have never had a pet before, you know of three places to get them. 1-pet store, 2-pound, 3-free ads in the paper. At least, that is what I knew. Most people think that pets stores sell animals from breeders (that's what I thought). There is not enough education out there for these people to know any better.

Now, having read here, I can see the bad points of "free to good home" as some of those animals are sold for testing, or sometimes the owners don't see their value. Makes sense.

However, what if someone is looking for a golden retriever. Someone who knows about byb's and pm's. A person who has rescued before, who knows that it's bad to offer a free pet, and so on. Would that person be so bad to take that free dog? I mean, if someone posted an ad for a free bulldog, in a second I would be there for it, because I would love a bulldog. But if someone posted an ad for the same dog for $100 or $200, I would still be there asking for the dog. If I had got it for free, I wouldn't love it less.

I see that it's bad, but it's still possible a good person could take the free dog....

sorry...I hate to say my opinion, but what can you do?

maddoxies
January 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I have sent an email to my contact at Ontario Rescue with this person's phone number and the address of the ad.

happycats
January 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Raingirl,
I'm like you, ,and have learned alot from this site.
But the dog we had growing up, my mother got from a free to good home ad in our local paper. (it was a farmer who's working BC female somehow got together with a neighborhood sheep dog, and produced 7 unwanted puppies, he was not happy as the pups were not pure) . She was a wonderful dog, and I don't think my mother was wrong in getting 1 of the pups, as the farmer wanted to dispose of them in another way :eek: , but his wife talked him out of it!!
But I have learned alot, and my future dog will be a rescue.

carey
January 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM
There is not enough education out there for these people to know any better
Exactly, Raingirl - I was completely oblivious to many things a few years ago, but am learning every day and it is through forums like this, and speaking out to friends and family that the message will get through. I just checked the Humane Society website: www.humanesociety.com and was shocked to see how many animals are posted that people want to get rid of, for inane reasons. It makes my blood boil that their poor pet, who would be loyal to the end, is so easily disposed of. :mad:

Schwinn
January 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
sorry...I hate to say my opinion, but what can you do?

Better yours than someone elses! ;)

I too think it's silly to be so angry with someone for a "free to good home" ad. If they just wanted to get rid of the dog, it'd just say "free". If you ask most of these people do they care if it goes to a BYB, or to a researcher, I'm sure they'd say of course they do. Actually, I know a few people who would think thier dog hit the jackpot going to a BYB ("hey, great work if you can get it! I'd rather be doing THAT than sitting at a desk!"), again because they don't know what the reality is (and thier guys, and, well, we're pigs!). If anything, these people can be called uninformed, but usually well-intentioned. They honestly believe they are doing what is right for the dog.

I have issue with people who say "It isn't fair to the dog". Ideally, the dog would get out in a big field and run until thier heart's content every day, but my personal feeling is if the dog is truly happy where he is, then whether it is a small apartment or large farm, while he may not be in the perfect place, he's in a good place. When I wanted to get a dog when I was in a small apartment, she told me it was cruel to have a dog in a place like that. I was like, "Wait a minute! I live there! I don't think it's cruel for me!" If the dog is happy, he's okay where he is.

DatRicanPitbull
January 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM
In my local area, they stopped those ''free to a good home'' ads in the newpapers. Some of the people use them for ''bait dogs for pitbulls''. :yuck: SICK SICK SICK PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD!!!!! http://www.pitbullforum.com/images/smiles/bully.gif<<<thats what they need!!!

The thing is, when u give a pet away to a good home, it would be wise to personally know the people first