Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat question

happycats
January 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hi.
How do I stop my 3 large male cats from treating my very small female cat like a squeek toy?? :sad:
they chase her all the time. and torment her to the point sometimes where she can't even use the litter box!! :mad:
Yes they are all fixed. they arent kittens either, the youngest being 9 this spring.
This has been going on for years, and I feel so sorry for her.
We have given her a room where she can hide from them, but I feel really bad that she can't some out to see us when she wants.
Any suggestions??

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Does anyone else out there have/or had this problem.
Can anyone suggest anything . :confused:

Maya
January 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
A long time ago my mother kept a litter of kittens and there were three boys and a very small girl. I remember that she used to spend most of her time up high on shelves which seemed to give her some distance but she wasn't totally isolated. Also I thought maybe when the boys are getting to rough they could go in the room for a bit instead of her that way they are getting their privileges taken away for being naughty instead of her having to hide. The other thing i thought of was if possible maybe the boys could go for a little vacation. It could let her establish some territory so she feels stronger and when they came back she might have more rights. :P Just brainstorming not sure if that will help. Hope so.

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks great Maya,
My female is not locked in the room, but I have made it like an obsticle course, the boys are to big to get through!! She is free to come and go as she pleases. It's so hard though because she is a very social loving cat, and loves to be with us. But the boys make it so difficult for her.

heeler's rock!
January 17th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I'm having the same type of problem with my cats! My 2 boys are brothers, and they constantly harass my newest cat. She's considerably smaller, but they're all quite young still. She's one and they're about 8 or 9 months. They're all fixed too, but I thought they'd just grow out of it. Now that you've said it's been going on for years, I'm worried! I need some advice too. Please help! :confused: :(

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Heelers,
The 2 boys that bug her most are 2 brothers also!! , they are going to be 9 this year (9 years not months!!) and I always thought they would out grow it to, but I guess because they are the youngest of 5, they still think they are kittens!!

heeler's rock!
January 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM
YIKES! I'm sure it's a dominance thing of some sorts, I'm just not sure how to fix it. Hubby is sure they'll get along soon, but all I hear all night is her hissing and growling. It's so sad! she just hides under the bed most of the time, and only comes out to say hi to us a little bit. The boys are bad. They always tag team and get into stuff. They're also very cute, so they know what mum and dad will let them get away with! :D

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM
My little female just screams when they catch her, and this seems to make them want to chase her more. (it's just like she is thier squeek toy)
She hides under the night table (they are to big to fit).
After she hides they just start yeowling at the top of thier lungs, it's almost like they are telling her to stop hiding and come out and play!!
They are SOOOOOOO bad sometimes!!! :rolleyes:

Maya
January 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM
What a great idea to have an obstacle course. I wonder if there is anything that can be done to make her seem tougher to the boys? Hmm now i just get rather silly ideas. Perhaps fur extensions so she looks bigger? Gosh I wonder it is such a dilemma :o

chico2
January 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Happycats,in what way do they go after her? Do they want to fight,or are they just wanting to play??
I have 3 fixed males,Chico(6yrs) is smallest in size and used to be chewing his fur and be fearful of the others,especially the youngest,Vinnie(2yrs)..
All of a sudden the tables are turned,Chico is the boss,no more stress..no more chewing his fur off.Both my other cats are afraid when Chico is in a mood and stay away :D Even Rocky(8yrs),my big tabby,will lay down in submission for Chico.I think females at times tend to be a bit less sociable with other cats,but that is only from my one experience with one female cat.

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Chico,
No they don't want to fight, it's almost like she is a mouse, and they give chase, they have a wonderful time doing it, and are very upset when I intervene!!!
They also bothered my other female (who passed on 3 years ago), but she didn't run she just hissed and growled, so they would just run up and hit her and run away.
I do believe it is a female thing (they are much more bi%^$cy) .

chico2
January 17th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I've only ever had one female,Cookie(RIP)she was all for playing,but only on her terms and she was bossy and bitchy....but very sweet with humans :love:
But like people cats are all different,hopefully your little girl will come around and show the boys who's the boss :crazy:

happycats
January 17th, 2005, 04:30 PM
She is very loving with us, she just hates the boys and being so so tiny, I don't think she will ever be brave. They are massive (not fat, just big) compared to her.
It becomes a big problem when she pee's under my night table, because they will chase her out of the litter box!! :yuck:
As soon as they see her, it's like they are looking at a big mouse, and start chasing . :evil:

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I've seen male cats do this many times. They seem to do it because they CAN. When females fight back, they quickly knock it off.

Try a squirt bottle on them. You can also try locking them up for a few days while their victim has the run of the house. Sometimes this seems to change the dynamics and break the habit.

My male cat is sometimes doing this now to my two females. I clap my hands and yell "NO!" at him. If that doesn't help I go and break it up and distract him with a catnip toy.

As soon as they see her, it's like they are looking at a big mouse, and start chasing
That's the time to get the squirt bottle out. Also, setting up window seats for them or getting them a big cat tree might help.

AMALA
January 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
my mom has the same problem but with 3 females , 2 are sisters about 2 and a half
and one is a old lady with a hyper active thyriod, she is going on 15 the june , , the other 2 are very freindly cuddly, loveing and wonderful cats , but the gang up on the old one and chase her into my mother bedroom grazer's haven) this made her very timid and shy. my mother felt so bad as grazer is not going to be around that much longer , she deserves some peace and quite,

my mother sent the little girls away for 2 weeks with my father at work , and grazer (old girl) became super outgoing again , when the little girl came back grazer was a little less timd but , the problem still exsits , tis better though,

i don't know if ther is a solution a haven for the female is prob the best thing you can, the cat gym is awsome she is prob happy as long as you vist her lots
good luck