Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New people

BullboxLover
January 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Me agian, :D this time with a question about my other older dog Buddy. Buddy is nine years old, we got him from the humane society in Winnipeg, he his a very good dog, and really truly loves his family. :love: Our only concern with him is that he is very warey of new people, and would just rather that no one ever came to visit me at home. As soon as someone comes to the door, he goes ripping at full tilt, barking like the house is on fire, and would rather not let anyone in the house. :eek: For the most part my husbend restrains him until whoever it is comes in and has a seat, and then for the most part he's okay. :cool: He does however have a great deal of dislike for males wearing baseball caps, :king: we think due to his past because he was abused, :evil: to what extent we don't know. I was just wondering what we could do to help with this problem.

tenderfoot
January 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Buddy thinks it's his job to protect the door. Restraining him is a bandaid to the problem, but doesn't fix it - we need to teach Buddy that it's not his place to protect the door. Don't worry he will always jump in if you really need help.
I would work on his drills through out the day to enforce your leadership, and then set him up with opportunities to learn about door manners.
Have him on the leash, get him to sit/stay about 4-6 feet away from the door and knock on the door - often just the sound itself sets them off. Be ready to correct any bad choices and get him to hold the sit/stay.
If he is just not controlable then back him away from the door to a distance where he can manage himself. It might even be across the room. Practice until he is successful at a certain distance and then move him a bit closer. If he can handle being near the door when you knock on it then take it to the next level and open the door, or have someone helping you on the other side of the door and go through the greeting process. You could even have the person toss him a treat if he remains seated when they enter.
Always, reward the good choices he makes and pressure the bad ones.
Giving him jobs is key because it takes his mind off of the event and it places you in the leadership role.