Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new fosters

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Today I was brought in four guinea pigs (OMG TOO CUTE). I was contacted by a lady who needed to find homes for these four as she was tested for allergies and now she knows why she breaks out and has breathing attacks. I've never been around guinea pigs, so I've been doing alot of reading, printing and trying to educate myself on them. I'm still full of questions though. Maybe if anyone has any, they could offer some advice :)

Rainy
January 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
mememememe LOL I have 3 Guinea pig girls! Ask away.

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Oh good!!! Ok, I've been reading what to feed them and what NOT to feed them. I've got a good amount of food here and hay, as their mommy brought me a ton of it. She wanted to make sure I had enough until they found homes and even supplied me with a gift card to get more things if needed. I was wondering though, when it comes time to wash out their water bottles, what am I able to use that won't harm them? Same goes with their cage. What can I use to clean it that won't harm them?

One is long-haired, do they require brushing? What's the best chomping block to get them?

I did alot of reading, but didn't find answers so some of the questions I was looking for. Her previous mom answered a few, but I'm still uncertain about others.

Oh yeah, um, how to cut their nails properly? Rainy, up for a visit? :o

Here's a picture of the long-haired one. Her name is Tero. :)

Copper'sMom
January 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM
LOL Looks like she is wearing a toupee!! :crazy:

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
HAHAH!!! I was thinking the same thing and even offered her to my husband to keep his head warm (he's bald).

Lucky Rescue
January 14th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Very important to take them off those cedar shavings which can cause respiratory distress and even premature death in small animals.

Since guinea pigs don't climb around the cage like rats they need very large enclosures.

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Their cages are huge. Almost as big as my kitchen table. I've got pine shavings for them, she brought them over this morning when she dropped off these little ones. This picture is from earlier this week before they cleaned the cages and put in new shavings. I had read about the cedar and had only planned on getting pine shavings (they were better and not harmful from what I read). Since this is the first time I've ever been around guinea pigs, I'm up for any advice. I gave them some food in their bowls and they were snorting at me. I had read it's very important to listen to the sounds they make, as when you hear it, you will know what they want. For some reason, that advice was given to me when I got married as well :confused:

happycats
January 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Stamp, LOL (the marriage thing just cracked me up!!)
I Guinea Pig sat 2 in the past.
I didn't feel thier cage was big enough, so I put newspaper in the bath tub, with all kinds of treats and toys for them to play with, they loved it!!! :love:

Only problem, had to move them every time I took a shower :p !!!!!

This might be helpfull to you also. When I went shopping, they would always give me the old fruits and veggies really cheap, when I told them I was looking after Guinea pigs!!

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
When their mom brought them over, she had said never to give Guinea pigs peppers (as in the bell peppers that are green, orange, red and yellow). She doesn't remember who told her that, but that she had never given them peppers. While reading yesturday, I never saw anything about giving them peppers. Does anyone know if they are harmful? I'm curious and would like to be informed of things when I'm not sure.

One of my cats, Marbles, has decided that JB is her new lovebug. She's been sitting by the cage and her and JB keep touching noses and he sits there while she tongues the top of his head.

Knickers has been very quiet and just watches the movement. He's sitting under his cave and just watching everything. He's got a black bum and looks as if someone dipped his rear in black paint. Yugi, the other female, has alot of energy and she seems partial to Mr. Maggoo (another one of my cats). He's the only one she will let sniff her.

Rainy
January 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I'm up for a visit! :D OMG what a cutie! I haven't even read through the thread yet! LOL I'll read then post back.

Rainy
January 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Oh good!!! Ok, I've been reading what to feed them and what NOT to feed them. I've got a good amount of food here and hay, as their mommy brought me a ton of it. She wanted to make sure I had enough until they found homes and even supplied me with a gift card to get more things if needed. I was wondering though, when it comes time to wash out their water bottles, what am I able to use that won't harm them? Same goes with their cage. What can I use to clean it that won't harm them?

One is long-haired, do they require brushing? What's the best chomping block to get them?

I did alot of reading, but didn't find answers so some of the questions I was looking for. Her previous mom answered a few, but I'm still uncertain about others.

Oh yeah, um, how to cut their nails properly? Rainy, up for a visit? :o

Here's a picture of the long-haired one. Her name is Tero. :)For cleaning out water bottles you can use diluted dish soap,just a touch. Really nasty bottles can be cleaned with very very diluted javal and water.Rinsed thoroughly .Vinegar is fantastic to clean the cage with!
Nails can be clipped with cat/kitten scissors or human nail clippers.
Guinea pigs teeth are open rooted and grow continuosly. They need access to fresh grass and or hay always. A continuos supply is all they should need to keep thier teeth healthy.No chomping blocks needed. They need places to snuggle and or hide,Kleenex box works great! Toilet paper rolls are ok to give them as toys but you need to cut a slit down the length of the roll so you never have an accidental piggy stuck! :D

Vegetables are extremely important for Guinea pigs because they don't manufacture vitamin C and need it supplied for them. Romaine lettuce,green/red leaf lettuce,dandelion greens parsly esp italian all have high contents of vitamin C and other good stuff! I will give you the list of good as well as a list of what to watch for when I see you. Peppers are a fantastic food for Guinea pigs and extremely high in vitamin C! Especially red. Carrots should be given as treats and NOT as an every day staple in a piggy diet. fruits given once or twice a week is always welcomed.I could go on and on.... :D

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
So peppers are ok :) They don't last long around my home, my girls LOVE peppers and eat them before I'm able to use them in recipes.

I have a ton of vinegar here (use it to clean windows, shine the water faucets and clean out the coffee pots). She brought me many water bottles, so I don't think I'll need water bottles anytime soon.

Thanks for the help Rainy :) All the reading I've done and still so many questions :)

glasslass
January 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
OMG! That topknot! I've never seen that before. What a cutie!

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ok this is Knickers. Sorry, couldn't resist that face!! I mean.. just look at it!!!!

Rainy
January 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Cedar is bad bad bad. Pine is ok.Yesterdays news is also good,less dust and mess. Fleece and towels combo is good also .
Ummm males and females! :eek: You feel confidant sexing them?You do know you are officially on pregnancy watch! :D

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Oh no no. The males are caged together, they do not fight at all. The females are caged together, not with the males :) No little ones running around!!!

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM
This is JB.

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM
And this is Yugi.