Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

247 cats in one house on Animal Cops

Sneaky2006
January 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes! Anyone see this show? 247 cats in one house, this guy was nuts and thought he was helping. The rescuers had to go in the house wearing masks and fully body suits because the odor of cat urine was burning their skin and eyes.
He had like 3 litter boxes, not that it mattered, these cats went where ever they wanted. I didn't see a clean spot in this house, everything was covered in grossness! Beds, kitchen cabinets, I mean everything! I don't know how long this guy had these cats but he said it was *one* unspayed female that started it all, he took in more along the way of course but having the one female started all the reproducing! I really don't even know how this guy lived there.
They said all of the cats were PTS, most didn't even see the light of day and were terrified of humans.
This guy had major issues, they didn't even press charges, just made him see a therapist.

chico2
January 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I've seen similar and this one too,but only for 2 seconds,I could not bare to watch... This kind of thing is not love of cats,but a disease,an obcession :sad:
It might have started out as love...but unfortunately it's the cats that pay the ultimate price :sad:

hddlstn02
January 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I've seen this show before & last nite! I couldn't believe it! It's wild enough around my house w/ just 2 cats & a dog... but 240+ cats! I would lose my mind! Of course, maybe that's why he had all of the cats.

What the worst part about it is that most of these cats were put to sleep b/c they were ferel. I'm sorry, but that is not loving them, this guy needs lots of help & fast!

glasslass
January 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Is this what is called "hoarding" and is a mental illness?

CyberKitten
January 14th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Yes, I'd say this fellow qualifies as a hoarder. It seems to be in the news more and more of late. In fact, I just read a fictional novel in which the murder victim was a dog hoarder.

It apparently is now recognized as a mental illness and tends to be women over 40 so this guy is a little off the median. Often, these women have been abused as children and they truly believe they are rescuing tthe animals. They often have other problems with relationships and in keeping a job - among other things.

Carina
January 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM
What cyberkitten said.

I didn't see the show, that just boggles the mind.
I had a LTR (long term live in relationship with someone who hoarded not animals, but things. Stuff. He owned three houses (the one we lived in had garage space for seven cars) and in not ONE could you have put a car in the garage. Because they were full of junk, and he would freak out if any of his junk was messed with. He was, and is, a pretty sick puppy.
It is sad, and I do believe it is - if not mental illness, certainly a serious personality disorder.
I think it was right to order him to get treatment....no point, really, in prosecuting.

Karin
January 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Have not seen the show but have seen many cases like this. We had a few in my county back in the 80's when I worked for RAbies/Animal Control. The infamous "goat lady"...had over 100 goats, 200 + dogs and many other various species living in with her in the house in the forrest. She had expired two weeks prior to our department being called out to remove the animals so her body (what was left) could be taken away.

In Ft.Lauderdale around the same time, a lady & her invalid mother shared a house with 150 dogs, 2 horses, pigs, too many cat's to count and one white tail deer. The woman caught wind of an upcoming raid on her house..(neighbors talk)..and fled with her mother. She was arrested in Tampa a few days later. Her mother was taken to the hospital...if I remember correctly all animals were euthanized and the house leveled.

It's amazing how they get away with it for so long before someone steps in and takes action.