Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What dog breed ??

happycats
January 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Eventually, we would like to get a dog, after joining pets.ca, and reading all these informative posts, we will get an older rescued dog, (no house training, no chewing, very little training. Whats not to love about that!! :love: ) I'm just surprised more people don't adopt an older trained dog...........sorry I'm rambling. My question is What would be the best breed for children and cats, that isn't totally hyper?? (do not want to have to walk it 3 times a day to get it to sleep at night!)
And it does not have to be pure breed, a mix would do, but we do want a big dog.

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Can't really give more than generalities, but usually hunting breeds and sled dogs like Huskies are high energy as are herding breeds like Border collies and Australian shepherds. The latter two MUST have a job and their urge to herd and nip can also make them not the best pets for kids.. VERY big dogs, like Mastiffs and St.Bernards are not so energetic and are usually gentle.

Terriers are not normally good with cats and can be aggressive to other dogs, although individuals will vary.

Greyhounds are often quiet and gentle and tolerant with kids. Many are fine with cats in the home and they are not high energy either.

I suggest you search Petfinder and rescues or shelters for a dog who appeals to you and take it from there.:)

Writing4Fun
January 13th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm partial to the Shep/Collie mixes myself (I wonder why? :rolleyes: ). The rescue should be able to give you some indication of whether or not the dog you want is good with kids and/or cats. I agree with Lucky - check out the rescues/shelters, find a dog that tugs at your heartstrings and look at its individual character. I LOVE the idea of rescuing a Greyhound! I see them on the Price is Right from time to time, and they always break my heart.

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Greyhounds (and sightounds generally) are pretty high prey driven dogs, maybe not so great for cats....
However, every breed has a whole ton of exceptions. So while it is smart to consider breed/group tendencies, looking at the "total dog" is going to be what counts, especially since you'll be considering adult dogs where presumably you will have an idea of what they are used to.

"My" breed (Rottweilers) are herd guardians, and traditionally excellent family/stock dogs, if raised right. I have had them for almost 20 years, and would trust any one I've owned implicitly with children, though working/guardian breeds sometimes require a higher level of commitment.

Standard poodles, Boxers, Goldens, Porties,...some breeds that come to mind when considering "typically" good with children & cats.

mona_b
January 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM
If you do think about a Greyhound,here is a link you can check out.

http://www.saveagrey.com/#afa

These breeds are very loving and gentle.

A friend adopted one.And a couple in my area with 2 young children adopted 2.I had a chance to talk to them a while ago.

andone
February 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I have a really sweet Pug crossed with Miniature Collie, and he's really calm. He lives outside (I bring him in when it gets colder), and when i bring him in, the cats just love him. I also have a Wheaten Terrier, she's incredibly hyper, barks at everyone, though, loves to play, and she doesn't do much for my allergies. however, they both need frequent grooming. My sister has a Rottweiler crosseed with Border Collie, I think she's a little too hyper, since she's 2, and acts like my puppy. But she doesn't need much grooming, takes after border collie more in mentality than rottweiler, she just got the coloration

pitbulliest
February 4th, 2005, 02:47 PM
For your comment about walking a dog three times a day...that is necessary..no matter what kind of dog you get, all dogs require exercise on a regular basis or else you'll have to deal with a depressed, obese, or unhealthy dog in the future....

As for kids and cats...well how old are your kids? I don't like suggesting dogs for small children as they can get very roudy and pull on the dog or just bother it too much...and older dogs need some quiet time.

I'm just commenting from experience and I don't know anything about your children, but its something everyone should keep in mind...

TobsterMom
February 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I have a really sweet Pug crossed with Miniature Collie, and he's really calm. He lives outside (I bring him in when it gets colder), and when i bring him in, the cats just love him.

I don't mean to be rude, but why would your dog live outside? :confused:

Bearsmom
February 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Just wondering that meself.........

mastifflover
February 4th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Tobster I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think any pet should live outside especially a small breed.
Mastiffs are very gentle but some are prey driven but Buddy is not at all but can't figure out why the cats runaway. I can't imagine why when you have a 12 pound cat and there is a 160 pound dog bouncing around running towards it, he really has no idea how big he is.
Old English Sheepdogs are great as well and you can keep them short haired for less grooming work or if your kids are old enough there is a great job to give them more responsibility with the dog and realize that they have to take care of it as well as play and love it.
I am also a big fan of Otterhounds but I dont know a lot about them but they are cuties and large but not huge.

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I am also a big fan of Otterhounds but I dont know a lot about them but they are cuties and large but not huge

I guess to YOU, nothing seems huge.:p Male Otterhounds can be up to 125lbs, and that is huge to me and they are a rare breed in Canada.

meb999
February 4th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but why would your dog live outside? :confused:

Took the words right out of my mouth Tobster!!

Happycats -- It depends on how big you want your dog. There are ALOT of lab and golden mixs on petfinder. These breeds are usually good with kids and don't too high of a prey drive. I love Mastiffs--they're just big gentle giants. If only my hubbie would let us get one (they don't pass the NFF -- the Nicola Feces Factor! Nic won't have a dog that poops bigger than him in the house :D )
Great Danes are also good with kids and, despite their size, they don't need a zillion walks a day.
I've read a whole lotta books on different breeds when we were researching the breed that would be right for us. One of my favorites was 'Why we love the dogs we do' by Stanley Coren. It might help you find the perfect breed for your personality.

Hope this helps!

greaterdane
February 16th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I love the danes, but my friend has to walk hers for about 2 hours at night just to get him in sleep mode. He is 1 year old and goes for 4 walks a day and is still extremly hyper. Personally the best dog I can think of is a lab mix or purebred. Good with kids, some can be good with cats (you can always inquire) and 2 walks and a few runs in the backyard will do you. I take my guys for a walk in the evening and they are outside in the backyard 4 times a day and they are not depressed obese or sad in any way shape or form and they are both pretty high energy breeds (bull terrier and staff terrier). If the children are older its great because you have extra dog walkers in the house... too bad I dont have kids (not having any in the near future either lol)

Bugsy
February 16th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Happycats.

I figured this link might be helpful.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

As for my opinion... well, if it weighs more than I do and slobbers. I'm in love :love:

happycats
February 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful replies, they have been very helpful and informative. and pitbulliest it's not that I don't want to walk the dog 3 times a day, but I work full time, so that would not be doable for my situation. The dog would go for a long walk in the evening (after dinner) I also have a large back yard where the dog could play, so it wouldn't be like the dog would get no excercise at all, but thanks for your concern, I know you love dogs and would want whats in thier best interest, and so do I, thats why I'm asking these questions, to make sure I do whats best for my future dog!

happycats
February 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Bugsy, that site is amazing, I think everyone considering a dog should read is first !! I just love the "drool offenders" one. http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage08/8.gif
Thanks so much !!

mona_b
February 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=dobermom80]I love the danes, but my friend has to walk hers for about 2 hours at night just to get him in sleep mode. He is 1 year old and goes for 4 walks a day and is still extremly hyper.QUOTE]

Guess that depends on the dog.My friend also has one.And she never had to do this with Jazz.And she lived in an appartment before moving into a house.He is a very calm dog... :)

As one who has grown up with GSD's,I can say that they are great with kids.My previous and past GSD's have loved kids.And also babies.I have never had any problems what so ever.And I have a few family members who also have GSD's.Same thing.They are gentle,loyal and loving.They key thing here is socialization.I made sure when they where pups that they were around kids.This goes with any breed.

As for the Otterhound,they are beautiful dogs.I got a chance to be around them at one of the dog show.And when I asked about the breed,I was told that with this breed they do need to be kept lean and need lots of outdoor exercise.And they are great with kids.As long as they are around them.And I was also told that they would do better in the country.But that doesn't mean they can't be city dogs.... :)

honeybee4
February 16th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Bugsy,

that is a great site. I was just wondering though how come they don't have rotti's listed under lap dogs? :) Harley is always trying to get on my lap, he usually manages to get his upper body on me well his back legs are on the floor.

Bugsy
February 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I know Honeybee! You're right. I remember my rottie used to do that too. The minute I would sit on the couch she would climb upon my lap and flip over into bully rub postion. :D

Happycats For each dog breed if you scroll down to the very end of the page and click on the number 1 etc... you will see photos of that breed. :thumbs up