Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For Dez the missing pitbull in Brampton

happycats
January 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
This is for bteves and Mastifflover.
Please please don't fight, A dog's life might be at stake.
Lets just think about Dez and put differenes aside please.
Dez needs to be found!!!!!
I have attached a copy of missing Dez's info.

Light-Brown Pitbull Terrier missing since Wednesday Jan 5th @ 8:30p.m.
Last seen near McLaughlin/Elgin near the Youth Centre
His name is Dezmond. He is waring a metal choke-chain with ID tags
He has been hit by a minivan so he is hurt and needs food
If you see him please call the police and mention his location or call me Brian @ 905-781-2239

Click link below to see a picture of Dezmond:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bt...1a1.jpg&.src=ph

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I agree but the whole story is not being told and I will not posted it because I don't have proof. After all this if the dog is found he is going to dump it at the pound or have him pts that is not fair and that makes me really mad and I thought because everyone is so concerned about it they should know what is going to happen. I could careless about him but I do care about the dog. Do you want to hopefully find this dog to have him pts?

Dragonfly
January 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Found and put to sleep is better then dying under a bush.

I will not allow this thread to become the what the last one I locked turned into. If you can't be civil, don't post.

twinmommy
January 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
of what's important here???

WHAT ABOUT THE DOG??!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe those of us who are bound by distance, like myself find it frustrating to sit here and wait for news of poor Dez, but the name calling, grandstanding, and preaching, is useless and uncalled for. This situation is WAAAAYY out of control, and will hopefully be more closely moderated than other threads.......

Can we not remain civil to each other? :confused: :confused: :confused:

poor Dez!! Hope you are o.k., little buddy. :sad:

twinmommy
January 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Thank you Dragonfly!!! We were posting at the same time :thumbs up

twinmommy
January 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I pm'ed you but my computer went "Microsoft has encountered a problem and has to close" right at that moment--did you get it? (I am user-challenged :D )

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I did thanks

Bugsy
January 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Question for Bsteve:

What will happen to Dezmond if he is found :confused:

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Depends on his status. You people sound like there was something else I was obviously supposed to do and I didnt do it. If you have a solution say it. Otherwise dont criticize me and ridicule me because my situation. I could not keep him in my new condo because when I would leave to work I would return to a disaster. Financially I couldnt afford to keep repairing things. If thats not a valid enough excuse or reason for giving him then fine but like I said it was my sitiuation and not yours to say anything. Maybe you live a piece of crap house that you dont care what your dog destroys?? Listen I've said many times that none of this matters to any of you. I was trying my best to do the best for me and my dog. If you dont agree with it then keep quiet.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I dont know what I will do if I find him alive. I will be extremely happy I do and I will assess the matter at that time. Obviously finding a new home will not be a good idea. Other than that I dont have too many choices.

Dragonfly
January 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM
If you are interested in helping this young man find his dog, then help. If you are not then don't. But DO NOT turn yet another thread into a bashfest!

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I dont know what I will do if I find him alive. I will be extremely happy I do and I will assess the matter at that time. Obviously finding a new home will not be a good idea. Other than that I dont have too many choices.

Sorry dragonfly but he wants people to help look for a dog so he can pts. I think people need to know that if they are going to spend their time looking because if they find it I am sure they do not want it put to sleep. I hope the dog is okay that is my only concern.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thank-you Dragonfly. You people do not need to know and understand everything in my life or Dezmonds life. I started this post to ask for help in finding my dog. Whinnie-boo started her post about Dez to find a healthy loving home. How much more explaining do you need? Like Ive said so many times before, if you dont have anything good to say or any suggestions on what I can do to find dez or if I find him what I can do with him afterwards then please help by saying nothing. Im open to listen to any ideas. Im still the waiting for a solution from Mastiff if I find Dezmond alive. What should I do Mastiff; what is your grand answer!!

Dragonfly
January 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Unless you have rock solid proof of that, what you have is an inflamatory accusation. We really have had enough of those in the last couple of days and my head hurts from reading them all. I am out of Excedrin so I am not going to listen to any more of them.

If the dog was hit by a car over a week ago now, then being pts may well be the kindest thing.

Bugsy
January 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I have to agree with Mastifflover....

Poor dog... :sad: I understand we should not say anything if we do not want to help this person. However the dilemma is... we all still would like to help DEZMOND.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
So all you care about is if Dez is ok? What if he is ok? Would you take him into your house and risk what happened to Whinnie-boo? It was not her fault Dez got out. I said that if I find him ok I dontthink finding him another home is a good idea because of what has already happened. I didnt know what happened was going to happen.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
bugsy...if you found him you wouldnt return him??? Geez, I wonder then what would you do with him? Keep him? Try to battle through his SA? Give him away to another home? Tell me what would you do then. What is the best answer in your eyes to deal with this situation if he was found alive?

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
You made a commitment to this dog so keep him. Moving is a lame excuse for giving up your dog. When you decided to move you had the dog did you consider finding a place that would allow dogs? Seperation Anxiety can be treated read a book talk to a behaviourist or trainer these things can be dealt with. Has he always had SA, obviously not or you would have gotten rid of him long ago something started it. Figure out what it was and work with him to get him over it. Is their a health problem has he been to a vet could something wrong with him be causing it?

LL1
January 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Could you try a crate when you are out? Then he wouldn't be able to destroy your things.

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I"m not bashing, merely giving an opinion. I feel if Dez is found alive, he would be better off euthanized than to be sold for 1$ on Hoobly. What kind of a person would want an 8 year pit bull with severe SA who will tear their house apart? I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who did want him and would thorougly grill them as to their intentions.

bteves - how bad is Dez? He has been tearing your house apart for 8 years or is this something new? If it's something new, perhaps it could be worked on..??

I am deeply hoping that Dez was found and is being cared for. :sad:

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Finally some positive statements!! I will have to look into all of those things if I do find him alive. I would love to keep him in the condo if he would learn to behave and not destroy things like the front door. I think he has had SA for a long long time, but at my parents house my mom was always home. I used to get home from work and she would say that he was crying or barking all day and looking out the window, but I think it was different because she was there. At the condo he was alone in an unfamiliar place. He could hear people walking by or doing things on the other side of the door in the hallway. There were so many changes for him. I did purchase a condo that allows pets. The problem is not the place I bought but that he did not adapt to it. Now maybe he needed more time and more help and I didnt know of any other things like medication or behavoural things that Mastiff mentioned. I tried finding him a new loving home, and I also tried to adapt him to the new condo. I bought him an indoor metal bar exercise pen (6'x2'); he tore it apart; along with his nose. I tried keeping him in one room and he scratched the door like crazy. He just wouldnt behave. I didnt know what else to do and I thought he would be ok with someone who wanted to take care of him.

Rainy
January 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Should Dez be found alive and well I would (actually I would be doing this now) look for a behaviourist to help Dez with his SA.I would advertise for a doggysitter while I am at work or try doggy daycare if they are willing to try.Temporary meds for SA untill another option comes along.

Of course no one has a crystal ball and can predict the future.I would learn from my mistake with trying to rehome Dez and spend more time integrating him into his new home.Of course the dog ran away,he was in a strange place without you untill he felt safe enough to be left alone he shouldn't have been. IMO that was the biggest mistake that led to this. This is not bashing,or laying blame for this unfortunate incident ,you asked i'm offering advise.

Copper'sMom
January 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
A few things I'd like to say:

1) We don't know if Dez is dead or alive at this moment, so let's deal with what will happen to him later if he is found alive.

2) Someone may have taken him in and has not taken him to a vet because they are not caring people like we are.

My ex boyfriend had a pit who got loose(after I had left him). He was with a GSD at the time. The GSD came home a few days later but Jesse(PIT) never did. My ex thinks his neighbour shot the dog because he didn't like him. I think he could have been picked up by someone and they kept him. With the way society is today, a similar situation could very well have happened to Dez. You never know.

I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic but we have to think of all of the options. Sometimes looking for a lost animal is like looking for a needle in a haystack. :(

Rainy
January 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Are you too far away for your mom to babysit when your at work? Or is she not willing too?

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I thought of putting him to sleep instead of putting up with his bad behavour or finding him a new home. I mean he was 8. I gave him 8 amazing years and he gave me the same. If my situation was bad enough where he couldnt stay with me anymore and he couldnt stay with someone else either (now I know this), then putting him to sleep made a little bit of sense even though I didnt want to do it, but he wouldve been ok, I wouldve known what happened to him, he wouldve died painlessly and happy knowing that I loved him and that I didnt want to give him away. I know some of you people are so against euthanasia, and I am to unless the dog is sick and is in pain, and that why I left that option as the last thing I wuld try. I tried with as many things as I knew of at the condo, secondly I tried to have him with new owners, and once I felt that wasnt going to work I wouldve had to go to option 3, but that didnt happen. The occasion where dez got free was the 2nd time he spent with Whinnie-boo. The first time was pretty good from her description. I mean yeah he whined a little and stayed by the top of the stairs waiting for me, but there were times where he socialized with them and their dogs and we thought he just needed more time with them to get more comfortable. We were wrong. It was a mistake. I feel guilty that I did not see what my dog didnt want. For that I am truely, truely sorry to Dezmond.

Bugsy
January 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM
bugsy...if you found him you wouldnt return him??? Geez, I wonder then what would you do with him? Keep him? Try to battle through his SA? Give him away to another home? Tell me what would you do then. What is the best answer in your eyes to deal with this situation if he was found alive?

Although I may not know the whole situation... I will try to answer this from "your shoes".

You could try to re-home him. Dezmond's reaction was completely normal... he wanted to be back home. Only time would have changed this scenario.
There are many people on this board who would be more than happy to try and help you re-home Dez, although you have to be willing to help us help you. You must understand our point too. We cannot agree with putting a healthy dog down (if it is your intention).

Personally yes.. I would take him in. Yes I would deal with his SA, yes he may very well chew the house apart... but at this point he'll have to compete with Bugsy...on who gets to chew what. :D

You may not know this because you are new to the board... but many people here are involved with animal rescue on one level or another. We know that there are many other choices besides the Black or White answer.. you just have to be willing to listen.

So many have come forward to help you already...

Copper'sMom
January 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
bteves,

Dezmond might have been uncomfortable with Whinnie-Boo because she had other animals at her house. This may have made his anxiety worse! If he was rehomed with someone who had no pets he may have been a little better--you never know!! As well as being with a stranger, that wouldn't have helped him out any either. No matter what, it would still take alot of time to transition him.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
that is true today (that a lot of people are helping). I at first got a lot of bad and negative responses because of Whinnie-boo's history here and I was not aware of that. I appreciate everyone's help even those of you who say the negative things are really thinking of Dez first and that's right. I would love to see my dog again. I would love the 2nd chance of working with him and other professionals to keep him behaved in my condo. But I dont know that will happen. Today is the 8th day he is missing. We've searched and searched for him, calling his name and whistleing in vast areas. He doesnt respond. What else are we to think? There is the possibility that someone not caring took him and doesnt want to help and fix his injuries, and if that is the case that kills me inside and I pray that God can help him escape and find help. I will continue with search party on Saturday in the fields and hopefully find something. I appreciate and honour all of you who are thinking of him and praying for him. :)

Copper'sMom
January 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Did you just move to the new place?? Do you take Dez out away from your place often?? He may be trying to find his way home(either to the new home or old home). Have you looked around your usual route you take him??

Copper'sMom
January 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Pits have a very high pain tolerance. When they have something in mind, they do it! He may be trying to find his way home!

Bugsy
January 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Have you checked where you lived before the condo... I'd start there. Ask the neighbours in that area also. He may have headed for his old home.

Very good point Copper's Mom :thumbs up

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 02:17 PM
my new condo is in a different city about 25km's away from my parents house. I realize that they have a high pain tolerance and could be finding his way home, but that wouldve meant I wouldve seen dog tracks in the snow or someone would have probably seen him or he wouldve heard me or many other people calling for him while looking for him everyday. I think he is either far away or someone not caring has taken him or he has already passed. I believe he is not alive and in my parents area. We have looked a lot in that area and found nothing. Thats where all the posters are also. I dont think he wouldve made it to my condo. There is way too much city traffic to get there. Me and him were living there for 3 weeks and yes I did make him familiar with the new area for a couple blocks in every direction.

happycats
January 13th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Dez could be fine.
This reminds me of my friends dog,(GSDX) was hit by a pickup truck. He immediately bolted,
I chased him screaming his name, he ran into a wooded area.
There was blood everywhere, we all searched for him, but did not find him.
Then 2 weeks after the accident, (everyone thought he went to the woods to die) There he was!!! :D Standing at the back door!!!!!
His leg was in pretty bad shape, but after vet care and TLC he survived.
Hopefully Dez's outcome will be as good :)

raingirl
January 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
now...I just thought of something.

You used to live with your parents, but live in your own condo now right? And you parents have moved right?

Could he have gone to your old house? Dogs have an amazing sense of direction. I knew someone who had a dog they took to the toronto beaches one day. The dog got off her leash and ran away. 2 weeks later the dog shows up at her door in Scarborough!! I don't know how or why, but that dog found his way home. (very weird story).

I haven't read all your posts, so I don't know if you thought about that.

(opps...didn't see your last post)

deerclan
January 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I live in Brampton....If i could help in any way,Im also the owner of a Pitt/cross and a 12 week old Staff

You can email me at:

jwilcocks2770@rogers.com

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Happycats...thats a great story! Inside me I still have hope that he is alive and hopefully he will find his way home or someone will find him.
Ok here's the moving story. I lived with Dez and my parents in a city called Brampton. Whinnie-boo also lives in Brampton about 2 km's away from my parents house. My parents never moved. I moved to Mississauga into a condo about 25 km's south away from my parents house and lived there with Dez for 3 weeks. Dezmond was reported hit by a van about 5 km's south of my parents house 45 minutes after he escaped from Whinnie-boo's house.

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
deerclan...ill email u tonight with details of saturday morning's search party (10:00am at Youth Centre at McLaughlin/Elgin). im at work now.

deerclan
January 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Ok! Saturday is great,If you get the chance please send a pic of Dez in the email also

Bearsmom
January 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Check Mississauga Animal control website, and City of Brampton Animal Control website....several pits listed there.

chico2
January 13th, 2005, 03:56 PM
My thoughts have been with Dez for a couple of days now,I don't seem to be able to get him out of my head,I wish he could know how much we want him safe....Today it was +15C,maybe if he is not freezing he'll be able to go somewhere safe,but tonight it's going to be cold again :sad:
I just hope,if you find him on Saturday,he'll be given another chance to live,even if he is wounded,he sooo deserves it.Furniture,doors etc...can be replaced,a life once gone cannot be.

BMDLuver
January 13th, 2005, 04:40 PM
There were two collies missing in our area. After two weeks of looking, the owner finally located one that had come across the ice into a completely different area. They were amazed that she survived as this was around Christmas that the dog was lost. Do not give up hope bteves, Dez needs positive thoughts and prayers right now!

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM
deerclan, here is a pic of the beautiful Dez

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Sorry about the red-eye everyone...his real eye colour is yellowish-greenish

bteves
January 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Im gonna have this one framed...I had the red-eye removed.

deerclan
January 13th, 2005, 06:49 PM
great pics! love the solid colour and a very good looking boy. :thumbs up

chico2
January 14th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Dez is a beautiful boy.... :sad: I hope someone up there is watching over him and you'll find him :love:

sammiec
January 14th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I have been looking for Dez, but haven't come across him yet. I am so very sorry that your poor bay is out there alone! :sad:

I must admit, if I was to find Dez I would be very leary to return him to you. Knowing that you're intentions are to try and place him in a new home with SA will more then end him up in the shelter and PTS. There are things that can be done for his condition. And sadly enough, it's usually the way they are raised that causes these conditions. It's kinda like bad parenting with children....they both can be corrected for the better.

I too have a pit bull. They get destructive when they are alone. They are VERY social dogs. They MUST have constant attention (or they think they'll die ;) ). They need stimulating activites to keep them active while they are alone. Like kongs filled with peanut butter, yogourt, and treats... marrow bones... there are other activities that you can find on the interent too.

I think that as an owner you owe it to this dog to give him the benefit of the doubt. Get him soe training (does he have formal training?) Get him the help he deserves and let him spend the rest of his life with you. You owe it to him. He's been with you for eight years...

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM
DEZ was found outside of Whinnie's work this morning and she immediately called the vet and that's where he is now. He's lost weight, has some cuts, but overall, is alive and being taken care of.

Just thought I would pass it along. I'm sure Dez's owner will be here to post a little later about the good news.

sammiec
January 14th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Oh StampDesign! I think I might cry! That's amazing news!

bteves, I sincerely hope that you continue to post here. Hopefully we can help you and Dez overcome the SA, adn be happy family. :grouphug:

chico2
January 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM
If that is true,I am elated for Dez :thumbs up But seeing the way this whole business has been going,I am not convinced.. :sad: not that you have any obligation to convince me,but a picture of him in his present state would help...

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Sammi, don't blame you for crying, it's awesome news. Whinnie was only at work for about 5 mins when the coffee truck driver approached her and said there was a scared pit sitting outside. She immediately ran out the door, tears down her face, hoping and praying it was Dez. Sure enough it was. She said he had some skin hanging from under his eye, paws were raw and had lost some weight. The best news is he's alive and being taken care of. Whinnie will keep me posted and in return I'll keep you guys posted.

Copper'sMom
January 14th, 2005, 08:55 AM
OMG!!!!! What wonderful news!!! My stomach is doing flip flops!!! Hopefully Dez will be ok!!! :grouphug:

Dukieboy
January 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM
:) that is very good to hear.

happycats
January 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
:party:
I am sooooooooooo happy!!! I just knew in my heart that he was alive.
I just hope that Dez gets a wonderful home to spend the rest of his days,
He deserves to be in a better situation then he is in now.
hope vet gives him a clean bill of health!!!!!!!! :thumbs up
Jusy wondering, but how did Dez Know where Winnie worked........hummmmmmmmm????? :confused:

mastifflover
January 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I just got the email from Whinnie and the dog park they go to sometimes is across from whinnies work. He must have either been there before or picked up Whinnies scent because nothing would surprise me. He managed to stay alive for 9 days thank goodness the weather has not been as terrible as it usually is at this time of year. Well between stampdesign and me whinnie will keep us informed as to how he is. Great news to start the day. :thumbs up

Little Angels
January 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
This is the best news that I have heard today :thumbs up

lets all try and help. Bteves if there is anything we can help you with please let us know.

Schwinn
January 14th, 2005, 10:00 AM
That is good news! And the fact that he went to a familiar place for help, to me, says he deserves all the more to live and wants to.

Rainy
January 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Yayyyyyyyyy Dez!!!!! OMG he should get the biggest Kong ever! What a good good boy to find your way to help! :angel: Now is where we need to come up with good suggestions for Dez to help him. He may very well bond with Whinnie-Boo since he let her help him :D
Bteves if you need to rehome Dez think integration big time. Not just dropping him off.You need to stay with him in his new home and help. You have alot to think about.He is one special pooch!

Bugsy
January 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
DEZ was found outside of Whinnie's work this morning and she immediately called the vet and that's where he is now. He's lost weight, has some cuts, but overall, is alive and being taken care of.

Just thought I would pass it along. I'm sure Dez's owner will be here to post a little later about the good news.

Wooooo Hoooooo http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/061.gif

OMG.... Thank God! What great news. Keep us posted !

Please give the boy a http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/new/hug2.gif and a http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/640.gif from me!

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I called Whinnie about an hour ago to see how she was doing. She had said that they (the vet) think Dez was struck by two different vehicles, no broken bones. He does have bruising around his ribs and the cut under his eye (didn't know if he had stitches). He is going home today, as they believe he's in really good shape. He was happy to see Whinnie when she ran outside to see if it was him. bteves was called and was at the vet's with Dez. I don't know much more detail, as I had called Whinnie at work and didn't want to take up to much of her time. She will e-mail me and Mastif and we will keep you all posted.

Bugsy
January 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Poor baby.... he must have been soooo scared and alone. 2 bruised ribs must have been painful too. Thank god for the oddly warm weather we've been having. Dezmond definitely has a guardian angel somewhere watching over him :angel:

STAMPDesigns
January 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I had to giggle when Whinnie said the coffee truck driver that told her about the "scary hurt pitbull outside". Apparently he's afraid of pitbulls (probably all the negative publicity they get). For some reason, all I can picture is this really big burly man shaking in his pants. At least Dez is ok and on the road to recovery :)

Bugsy
January 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Thank god for the cantine truck guy's fear of Pitties, otherwise he may not have mentioned to Whinnie that Dez was outside.... Serendipity :D

CyberKitten
January 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Thank you StampDesign for that wonderful news!!! I so hope Dez will now get a forever home with someone who loves him and will care for him!!! This poor baby certainly deserves after going through so much!!

bteves
January 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Everyone!!! This is the best day ever!! Everything posted here has been true about Dez, except for the part about getting hit by 2 cars; vet never said that. But anyway he did get hit by 1 and is cut in his face pretty bad and on his elbow and scrapes and bruises all over his body but he is ok and has no broken bones!! He survived 9 days alone in the cold and with no food (probably drank water but very dirty) he made his way home. Mastiff is probably right (only Dez knows) but the dog park is across the street from Whinnie-boo's work and also the train tracks run right through the side of it and he probably did smell her there and went looking for help. The warm January day of 17 degrees yesterday definately helped a lot I think. That gave the energy and chance to go looking for home!! Overall he is in great shape. His back leg near the hip is swollen and bruised pretty bad but we think he will be fine. With love and care he will be back to good shape in a fews days. He did loose 25 lbs in 9 days which has me worried and we will slowly give him food to get his digestive track operating again. He's on anitbiotics and had x-rays taken and all is clear. Gotta go and check up on him again, he's been resting all day. I will give more info tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance. Hooooooorrraaaayyyyyyy!!!!! FOR DEZMOND!!!! HE MADE IT!!!!! *** obviously I am thinking about what to do with him now, and any good and positive suggestions will be appreciated. I am willing to try medication or training tactics to calm his behaviour while I go to work. PLEASE HELP IN THIS REGARD NOW ***

chico2
January 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Well,it looks like this is the truth and I am really,really happy for Dez....I hope he'll get the life he deserves :love:
Stampdesign,I am sorry for being a sceptic,but I was happy before,being told he had a new home on the farm :sad:
I hope he now has a nice warm place and all his favourite foods....
Who is paying the vet-bills,BTeves or Whinnie-boo? Does Dez now belong to WB? Sorry,still a sceptic,I know.....Lot's of hugs for Dez!!!

CyberKitten
January 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
If you are planning to keep Dez or I guess even if you decided to surrender her to someone else, here are some relevant urls on seperation anxiety:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAB/separation.html (On this one, you have to scroll down the page for the links)

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

http://www.perfectpaws.com/sa.html

http://dogs.about.com/cs/behaviorissues/p/sep_anxiety.htm

I so hope you able to help Dez overcome his seperation anxiety and all will wotk out. It won't happen overnight but this dog obviously seems determined to live and deserves to be helped and loved!! It would seem he has bonded somehow with Winnie since he did go to her workplace.

Thx for sharing this great news!!

Luvmypit
January 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I have read this thread and just hope we can keep the cool for the sake of the dog. We also have to understand that not everyone realizes that there is such a support system out there if its needed. I think its important that we not jump all over B's back. We want people to come here for help and not read these posts and not ask for the help. yes we should let them know better ways and better methods and provide them with useful contacts. And in any hope their next or their present dog/cat/animal they will know better. The great thing is is that you guys have a great heart for animals and its shows and sometimes we get angry and thats ok but we still want to do what were doing and that is saving animals and making their lives better because they make ours better.

mastifflover
January 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I think he needs to heal properly and put some of that lost weight back on but slowly, before you start with any kind of training. If you are going to use any type of drug use rescue remedy for SA it is natural so it takes a little while before you actually see the effects. Also go and buy Dog Fancy this month's there is a couple of good articles about rescue and an article about St. Johns wort working well for anxiety definitely worth the money might give you some good advice but let him heal and get back to optimum health first. I am very glad he made it back and is not much worse.

Sneaky2006
January 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Luvmypit... if you did read this thread, you'd know he was found ;)

Luvmypit
January 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Ha ha smart pants.. I didnt realize it was multiple pages... I replied to coppersmoms reply about him maybe along one of the routes... BUT HEY WAS I HAPPY WHEN I FOUND OUT HE WAS OK!

deerclan
January 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
This is really great news! :thumbs up
When i first read the wonderfull news Dez was found i must admit i had a few tears myself. Glad to see that Dez is doing fine bteves :D

Let us know how he is doing.

LL1
January 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I'm so glad he is ok. Can you try a crate when you are not home so he can't destroy your things?

heeler's rock!
January 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
YAY for Dez!!!!! I'm soooo happy he found his way back to you!! This is a sign that he belongs to be with a family that loves him, and wants him. He's a very special boy!! Good luck to you and your training bteves! I hope it all works out for you, Whinnie, and of course, our little angel, Dezmond!!! :angel: :grouphug: :D

twodogsandacat
January 14th, 2005, 11:05 PM
That is fantastic news. That poor dog just proves the size of that pit bull's heart. Great news. :thumbs up

Too all those who remained positive: I didn't post to this thread although I read it as I was not as positive as you were. Good job with that positive energy.

Copper'sMom
January 14th, 2005, 11:18 PM
:sorry: I feel so bad for thinking of the worst!! But it is absolutely great news Dez has been found! :grouphug:

mesaana
January 15th, 2005, 12:39 AM
What wonderful news!

Lyne

bteves
January 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM
hi Everyone...Dez is doing better already this morning. He has been eating slowly but well and has drank over 4 bowls of water!! :) We are keeping a very close eye on him so he doesnt lick his wounds and re-open them. It will take a while for him to gain his weight back and also for his strength to return. We will be giving him a bath today and he tremendously needs it!!! hahaha I thank all for their help and positive thoughts, energy, and prayers. It feels great to have him home again and he will be getting lots of visitors today!! CyberKitten...thanks for the links on SA, I will take some time today and read up on it. Ill keep everyone posted!! Wooohoooooo!!!!! DEZ IS BACK!! :thumbs up

sammiec
January 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I am so glad to hear that Dez is doing well... maybe after such an ordeal you realized that he's more then just a dog and deserves another chance! (I hope)...

There are behaviour trainers in the area that can help out with Dez. If you contact Springdale Animal Hospital (that's my vet) 905-799-0901
and ask about Andrea - she's a behaviour trainer that works closely with this vet (Dr. Scorgie), they might be able to give you more information. I honestly believe that medicating a dog is the easy/lazy way out. There is training that can be done to fix Dez's problem, I think that route must be explored before resorting to medication!

I am so glad to hear that everything's going well. Yeah for Dez!

mastifflover
January 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I agree Sammie medication would be my last resort as well. Do you leave music or the t.v. on when you leave this might help I found the sound of voices helped a bit with Boo. I opted for T.V I used to leave it on a news station so there was continuous talking, when I had sattelite I used to leave it on Animal Planet he would watch the television when he would hear the animal noises. I would most definitely take some of Sammies advice regarding the trainer this would probably be the best way to go. Good luck

bteves
January 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM
thanks guys...I would like to explore educating myself and dez possibly through a trainer before i turn to medication as well. I will give this vet a call and ask about it. I am also going to talk to my vet and see if they offer any advice as to where we can go for help. Tomorrow I hope to upload some pics of Dez from Saturday (the day after his 9 day trip!!)

Copper'sMom
January 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks soooo much for keeping us updated, bteves! :grouphug: Give Dezmond lots of hugs and kisses for all of us!!

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I'm sure we would all love to see pics of Dez safe and sound, even if somewhat battered!!:)

chico2
January 18th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Oh yes,pictures would really help ease my mind,that Dez is safe and sound :thumbs up and staying where he is,with you...

Bugsy
January 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Aww... I'd love to see photos, can't wait :D

bteves
January 21st, 2005, 09:50 PM
Hi guys! Dez is doing so much better! He has gained probably 8 pounds this week and his wounds are healing and scabbing nicely. Sorry I took so long to post some pics of Dez, but Ive been so busy and didnt have access to my laptop. These were from the day after Dez came home. You can see he has a big cut near his eye and on his face where the van hit him. There are also some other scrapes on him. I dont think you can really tell that he lost 25 lbs from these pics.

bteves
January 21st, 2005, 09:50 PM
here's another

twodogsandacat
January 21st, 2005, 10:34 PM
What a hero this guy is. Tough as nails but I bet sweet as a angel. Give him a hug from me will ya.

How were the vet bills?

Little Angels
January 22nd, 2005, 06:12 AM
He has been through so much and is so sweet.

Give him a big hug and kiss from me and please keep him safe and warm.

Bugsy
January 22nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Aww... I'm so happy (sniff sniff) http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1219.gif . Dezmond seems so content to be warm and cozy. That little boy has made his way into all of our hearts. Thanks for posting his pictures Bsteve.

I love Happy Endings http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/433.gif

Hugs http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/new/hug2.gif & Kisses http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/640.gif for Dez.

Copper'sMom
January 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
bteves,

Thanks for posting the pics....we've bee patiently waiting!! I can tell he has lost weght in the first pic! Luckily he is putting on the weight again! Chances are he'll probaly have scars on him for life :( . When my dog was bit in the face, it left a scar on his cheek :( . It's good to see he is alive and well! :love: :angel:

How has he been doing with separation anxiety?? Is he just glad to be home and doesn't bother him as much when you leave?? Just wondering.

Give him big hugs and smother him with kisses!!!

Lucky Rescue
January 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Wow - so happy to see Dez alive! He is the perfect example of the courage, determination and heart of these "dogs of velvet and steel", along with their sweet natures, that makes us fanciers love them so.

Big hugs to Dez :love: !!

sammiec
January 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM
bteves, I was just wondering how Dez is doing? How are things with you guys??

I saw a poster still hanging at the Super Pet in Brampton, I didn't take it down, but just so you know, they are still up....

bteves
February 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone...its been now just over 3 weeks since Dezmond has come home. He is recovering superbly! He has gained all of his weight back but it is in the form of fat and skin; he lost a lot of muscle tissue while he was lost. He is very happy to be home. I have had him in my condo for 2 weeks alone while I go to work. He has been good. I bought him a new bed. I setup a webcam to my laptop in the kitchen and I can watch him all day long from work. I didnt realize how much he slept!! :)
He cuts and scrapes have all healed but of course there are scars now. Im not sure once the hair grows back if it'll cover them up. Its an amazing story and he is an amazing dog. Maybe he does realize how good he has it now and that we love him a lot and now he isnt being disturbing to us with bad behaviour. I just hope and pray it lasts...

Dukieboy
February 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
What a happy ending. :) Do you give him things to keep busy with in the day?

BMDLuver
February 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM
You can use teatree oil to help the hair grow back. We have used it on many horses that have had facial cuts due to halter play when out and it's amazing what results are achieved with it. His hair may grow back white but that is common in animal scarring. Glad he is doing so well.

Copper'sMom
February 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM
bteves that's wonderful!!!! I am so glad to hear things are going great!! After Dez's bad experience, he is probably just so happy to be home again....regardless if he has company or not!!! :) The webcam is an awesome idea!! YAY for DEZMOND!!!!!http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage13/7.gif

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smileyhug.gif

Thanks so much for the update!!!!!

sammiec
February 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM
How has he been reacting to being alone all day? Has he wrecked anything?? I am so glad to hear that he's come along with you? Can you please show us some new pictures?? Even web cam photos!!! We'd love to see him!! Thanks for the update!

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/071.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/071.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/071.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/071.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/071.gif

Bugsy
February 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I love happy endings... yes yes yes please more photos of Dez. http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/lieb47.gif

mastifflover
February 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Big hug for Dez I am so glad he is doing well How about some new pics.

happycats
February 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I am so happy for you and Dez, and am so glad you were able to keep him,
"bad boys for life!!!"
Keep up the good work, and if you have any problems, post it here, there are so many here who would be willing to help Dez, I feel after all this It's almost like I know him!!!!
Pics please!!

Katherine1
February 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I agree with the others I love :love: happy endings! :thumbs up Keep up the good work. More pics too please! :D

lilith_rizel
February 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Praise him everyday, after work, if he has be good.

I am so happy that he is home.