Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please tell me I'm not a horrible cat mom.

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I closed Egg's foot in a door tonight!
Egg is an incredibly adorable 10 week old kitten. Sort of a mute, faintly strped, seal point Siamese colour mutt-kitten, born with no tail, and apparently, no fear.
Tonight when I went to the back door to let my dogs back in, I didn't realise she was right next to my feet. (I've spent the last several weeks shuffling everywhere to avoid squishing her.) She darted out the door, I guess....and when I closed it she let out this sqwalk....OMG, I closed the door on her tiny leg! :sad:

Well, she is playing, purring, and appears just fine. Except she isn't putting any weight on her foot. She will chase a thrown toy across the room, but only on three legs. This just happened about an hour ago.
She has full range of motion, but the ankle part (back leg) is very minimally swollen and she cusses at me if I touch it.
Crap. She doesn't appear real concerned...I hope I just sort of jammed it like you jam a finger. If she's still not putting any weight on it in the morning, I guess it's off to my vet.
And here I thought I'd have to worry about the Rottweilers squishing her, and there I go....I'm typing mostly with my right hand because she's in my lap and playing with my left hand, purring away. So she is clearly not terribly traumatised by this.
Well darn it, keep your fingers crossed she'll be less limpy in the morning, please! Otherwise I'm taking her to the vet first thing.
I'm amazed any kittens make it! They are so tiny, and such unpredictable little things! It's been so long since I had a kitten....over ten years.

Lucky Rescue
January 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Awww, don't feel bad. I closed the backdoor on Stinkerbelle's head not long ago. I nearly died, but she showed absolutely no distress whatsoever.

Cats have an incredibly high pain tolerance, so injury may have been done to your kitten and she may not show it other than refusing to use the foot.

Hope she will be okay!!!

Sneaky2006
January 13th, 2005, 03:09 AM
No you're not! I'm sure we've all done something like this, including me, accidents happen!
Kittens especially stick their heads, feet, and TAILS where they don't belong. I'm sure she'll be okay! :love:

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Oh dear.
She's still very feisty this morning, just ate & used her box. But her poor little ankle is quite swollen and she's not really letting it touch the floor.
So....my vet opens in about an hour & a half, so I'll get her in as soon as I can.
I hope it's not broken!!!!! That would be awful.
It really must hurt, but apart from limping she doesn't seem at all bothered. Right now she is killing some curtains.

Katherine1
January 13th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Hope all goes well at the vet Carina. I will keep my fingers crossed and Molly will keep her paws crossed for a good report. :grouphug:

chico2
January 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Yes,good luck at the vets,hopefully it's not broken!
These things happen,they are sooo small and very quick,at least she did not dissappear out the door :thumbs up
Hubby has still not learned to look down when you live in a house with cats and he has been know to go for a flight several times,no harm to the cats though :D Good luck to little Egg!!

maddoxies
January 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Hugs to little Egg. :angel: And try not to beat yourself up too much. I put a bandana and a cat bell on my mini-doxie to make him more visible and noticable, after a few collisions. He is so small and the same colour as the carpet so he is hard to find. I was so worried about the big golden stepping on him and I am the one who has had more problems.

Let us know how Egg made out at the vets

Schwinn
January 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Don't worry, it happens. It doesn't make you a bad person. My sister's cat has half a tail from a door in her old house (she's still traumatized by that), and Daisy got a paw caught in a door at my wife's bank when she went in after hours once. Puppies and kittens are like kids...they don't pay attention sometimes and dumb things happen.

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM
You are not a terrrible mommy. You didn't do it on purpose. I hope all goes well at the vets (((((Hugs)))))

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Aww thanks, I feel much better now!

And so does Egg. :) My vet was able to see her first thing this morning....he is sure nothing is broken. She got a shot to take the swelling down. He says as long as she's starting to put some weight on it by Saturday & it's no longer swollen, she'll be fine.

I know these things happen...Maybe I should dye her lime green or something. That along with a tinkly bell collar with flashing lights on it ought to do the job! :D

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Spray her neon like the road work signs that ought to help. Glad it is not broken and I am sure she will be back to herself in no time Cute name by the way

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
So glad to hear nothing is broken! I once locked a kitten in the fridge. Little buggers get into everything. No wonder the expression "Curiosity killed the cat" came about. :rolleyes:

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
LOL< a neon cat! That would work. :p

LR, I've already closed her in the oven once (it was NOT on!!) when I was putting things away....couldn't figure out where the muffled meowing was coming from.

Silly cat. When I picked her up, she sat on my lap for the very short drive home. She's off white (getting darker now, I guess Siamese-type kittens are born white) and with no tail, she looked just like a goose egg in my lap. By the time I got her home, her name was Egg.

CyberKitten
January 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM
So glad to hear all is well with Egg, it's so hard with kittens though - especially Siamese, they want to be EVERYWHERE you are!! I havn't caught Yin Yin in anything yet but that is more luck than anything.

Jackie467
January 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
glad to know your kitty is going to be okay. my cat loves to get in the dryer while your trying to fold the warm cloths. actully got shut in once couldn't find her for about an hour. lucky no one turned the dryer on. it's bad though because i'm mildly allergic to cat hair (well a little more than mildly, but i couldn't ever give my baby up so it's just a lot of vacumming.) and she sheds a lot so if she gets on the cloths we have to rewash them.

Katherine1
January 13th, 2005, 02:41 PM
:thumbs up So glad to hear Egg is ok.

chico2
January 13th, 2005, 05:20 PM
That's good news,I cannot get over the name"Egg"it's certainly original :D if you get another kitten,is he going to be called"Bacon" :crazy:

shell
January 13th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hey, it will be alright. It was an accident so please stop being so hard on yourself. Your cat certainly loves and forgives you and I am sure her paw will heal and be strong again.

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 10:07 PM
That's good news,I cannot get over the name"Egg"it's certainly original :D if you get another kitten,is he going to be called"Bacon" :crazy:

LOL. Or Ham. :D
I am not sure the Rottweilers can take another kitten! Egg is totally dominating them as it is. :crazy: Cooper is still a bit cranky that I have brought this really annoying little creature in to the house. But, if she leaves the room, he gets up and follows her, to check on his flock, I guess. (He is a very herd-guardian-type dog.) Daphne mostly hides in her crate and looks anxious.

I am happy to report Egg is doing just fine, the little stinker. Her foot is almost back to normal size and she is putting weight on it again, so I guess my hopes of a nice calm recuperation period are toast. :p

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Carina, any more foot slamming or other abuses may find you on the "List of Shayme"!:p
Da list uf Shayme (http://www.geocities.com/dafurr2002/incidenzereport1.html)

Sneaky2006
January 13th, 2005, 10:38 PM
That website is so funny! I love this one... Forzed into a Klaw Kontrol bag, den hung on doorknob, lyke a doornament. Fotographd in dat pozition

Carina
January 13th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Carina, any more foot slamming or other abuses may find you on the "List of Shayme"!:p
Da list uf Shayme (http://www.geocities.com/dafurr2002/incidenzereport1.html)

ROTFLMAO!
:sorry:

glasslass
January 14th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Glad I read this thread after Egg was pronounced A-OK! Poor Egg! Almost became Humpty Dumpty! Poor Mommy!