Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Born Kitten Handling

JennNCoop
January 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I was just wondering if my cat has her kittens in a high traffic area of a place that I'm not comfortable with (childrens playroom) is there a safe and secure way for me to move them and the mother to a more safe and secure place such as mine and my wifes bedroom. And what would be the best way to make this transfer without tisturbing any of them at all.

Also we have 2 female kittens that are 8 months old now and would they be at all harmful towards the mother and her kittens?

Thank you muchly!

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 08:59 PM
How far along is she? It is unlikely she'll have them in a high traffic area, usually cats choose fairly secure and safe places to have their kittens.

If she has them in the playroom, it would be best to adjust your lives so she has some privacy with her new kittens, rather than messing with her and the litter.
It would also be best if you spayed her, and the younger cats, so they don't produce any more litters. :) Yes, you should keep the adolescent cats away from mom & her kittens. She does not need to be unecessarily stressed, and yes, some adult cats will kill or harm kittens.

hddlstn02
January 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I really think the worst thing the 8 month olds would do is maybe hiss @ the babies, + if the mom is a good mom, she will keep them away from the babies. It would cause her undue stress however, so you should probably try to keep them away from the babies. I also think (notice I said "think", I'm not an expert, but have had lots of cats) that if the mom trusts you, she will keep the babies where ever you move them. I wouldn't move them everyday or anything, but I'm sure she would be fine w/ 1 time.

And, I agree w/ Carina, she will more-than-likely not have them in the playroom if it is a "high-traffic" area.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
January 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I am sure the mom is already looking for a nesting area and she will find one that is more private than the playroom. Mind you, when I was a child, a stray we took in had her kittens on my bed - while I was asleep! We sucessfully moved them to the closet.