Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting A Second Dog Question :)

les
January 12th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I am thinking about getting another dog - for me as well to be a buddy for my current dog. She is a 7month old chocolate lab.

I work from home so I'm here alot and have the time to have another one :) I also have a big fenced back yard and we back right onto a park which is great for the dogs.

Originally I was thinking about waiting a little bit to get another one because my pup Jersey and I start grade one in February ;) and I was going to wait until after that had finished. But I've made the terrible mistake of starting to look on petfinder and there are so many dogs needing a home that I am tempted to get one sooner!

My question is would it be a mistake to get one before she finishes dog classes? She's pretty good now about most things - just needs to improve some things - mostly heeling, jumping up when she meets someone and listening when there are distractions around.

I don't think I'm going to get a young pup - - I can't go through all that again so soon! I'm looking at ones closer to her age - a year to a year and a half. If I could I'd take them ALL home with me!

Also, I was wondering does it matter if I get a male or a female? Jersey's a female but she gets along with all the dogs we meet (other females included)

Just looking for some opinions about it :)

Thanks!!!

wilstef
January 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM
i can relate! i debated for months about getting a 2nd dog as a companion for my 13 yr old male wheaten terrier, and finally found the perfect companion, a 10 yr old min. poodle, on petfinder, just last week. happy to report that everything is going amazingly well - but really it's the luck of the draw. i would suggest that the compatibility of two dogs depends as much on the individual dogs' personalities as it does on gender. some adoption agencies suggest getting the opposite gender, while others tell you it makes no difference. as it turns out my new dog is a female, but my wheaten is so easy going with both genders that i wasn't too concerned one way or the other.
it's been a delight to rescue a dog and find it a good home - lots of fun. good luck!

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Your safest bet would be a male, most definitely.
I would honestly hold off a leetle while until Jersey is at least somewhat reliably trained. Or, at least get a dog who is a leetle more mature than she, and therefore more sensible!

Not paying attention around distractions, and being over-enthusiastic....seems to me Jersey is still a work in progress. :) (Well, aren't they all, I guess.)
I suppose my thinking is, you get another young adult dog and put TWO young adult dogs together :evil: ....that may be a recipe for back-sliding on whatever obedience & manners work you've done so far! In part it boils down to how much time you are willing to devote to the dogs, both together and seperately.

les
January 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice :)

I have also considered getting an older, more mature dog but I kind of got away from that because I'm afraid they might not enjoy Jersey's puppy-ish playfulness!

Ohhh it's hard to decide :confused: The one I have my eye on is a male border collie - lab mix who's a year and a half. He's in Pottageville - - does anybody know where that is? It says 45 minutes from Toronto ... I'm in Grimsby (does anybody know where that is ;))

My thinking was that if I had them both and Jersey and I are in classes at least I would be learning all I can learn from them and apply them to both dogs???

As for my time I have lots of it! Working from home is great for that - where the issue comes is when Jersey still wants to play and I have to do some work! She likes being in the backyard but won't stay out very long by herself but likes to stay out when there are other dogs.

Guess I have some more pondering to do :)

Thanks again!

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 09:16 PM
If you have the time and are prepared to take on two teenage dogs, go for it!
Many mature dogs enjoy the heck out of young'uns, though. One of my Rotties is four and goes to daycare once a week....he plays himself into a stupor with the young dogs! Plus, it's good for the younger ones to have a mature dog to lay down the law (Cooper does that.)

Just remember...you are looking at a very high-energy breed mix, who could well benefit from lots of exercise & work himself, and might not be that well trained, since he's been dumped at a shelter or rescue or whatever. ;)

Bless you for considering a rescue dog, at any rate! I'm just trying to forewarn you of possible extra work...if you get him I hope Jersey has the energy to keep up!

les
January 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks again for your help :)

I'm going to sleep on it and see what I think in the morning!

Jersey is also high engery and her and I spend hours a day out walking and playing!

CityLimits
January 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Pottageville is located just south of Hwy 9 between Hwy 400 and Hwy 27.
Take Hwy 400 North, exit at the Loydtown/Aurora Rd, and then head West. It will take you right into Pottageville.

I think if you have the time and energy to get another dog then go for it. Just be aware that you may not be able to stop at two. I now have 3 dogs and I am constantly looking at other dogs that are in need of homes (I can't help myself). If I wasn't expecting my first human baby in May, I am sure I would have 4 by now! ;)

Rainy
January 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Why don't you email the rescue that has the dog you've been eyeing and ask to have a playdate so you and your pup can meet him?
You'll know if it feels right or not. ;)

les
January 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I'm going to give them a call and see if we can set up a meeting for me and for Jersey too!

I've promised my bf I'll stop at 2 dogs ... and I already have a 5 year old cat as well!

I'll let you know how it works out! :)