Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leashes...

ThaiGhing
January 12th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Hey all. Two questions...

First... What kind of leashes does everyone use when walking in the city limits?? I am curious as we have gone through 3 of the retractable leashes that are rated for large breed dogs up to 110lbs. Thai weighs 51lbs. OOps.

Second: Do you use a collar, or a harness?? Reason being, Thai has so much skin around his neck and face (he is kind of squishy).. that he is wiggling out of the collars we have purchased. So I bought a harness.. Not sure if its a good one or not.. Its Bull brand. I am looking for a better fitting harness or something to keep him attached.

Looking for input pls, Thanks in advance.
:cool:

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I pretty much only use flat or rolled buckle collars, so I don't have an opinion on harnesses....seems it would be easy for those to chafe at the armpits etc, so I'd go for comfort as the main criterion.
I'm not a huge fan of Flexis, I guess you've already figured out why! :)

In the city, I use 4' or 6' leather leashes.
If I'm in the park, or where there is more space, I use 20' cotton web training leads; I've gotten pretty good at handling them so they don't tangle or get wrapped around my dogs' legs!
I always let the dog know at the beginning of a walk how much space they have before hitting the end of the leash. I say "short leash" or "long leash" and believe it or not, they understand it.

doggy lover
January 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I use hemp collar and leash on Tucker, he also has a body harness. I find he doesn't pull with itbut does with a regular collar. He seems quite comfortable with it and I have taken him for 2 hour walks and not noticed any chafing. The reason I use hemp is that dye from leather or coloured collars come off on his white neck when he gets them wet. I took months for the pink to come off his neck one time, didn't happen again. I also used my old dogs extend a leash on him until he chewed through it and the leash went into the plastic case, it was expensive too as my last dog weighed 120 lbs. I bought it from pet value years ago and it is an actual leash wound up inside. I think I paid over $70 for it but it lasted my last dog 10 years and Tucker not even one little bugger. Hope this helps.

Dukieboy
January 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Hi! I think it depends on how your dog walks. Duke likes to pull, he is 53lbs of heart and muscle. We started him as a baby with a harness but he won't always heel with the harness so we also use a gentle leader. If I take him for a fun walk as opposed to a business walk I use a long flexie but not on city streets. For street walking a use a 4' nylon which I have had since we got him.

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Don't use flexi-leads in the city. You have no control over your dog and if he decides to bolt, you'll hurt your hands trying to pull him in.

I use a 6 ft heavy nylon leash with a "traffic handle" down near the collar.

If your dog can get out of his collar, you might to try a Martingale collar, made for greyhounds. No dog can back out of it.