Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older Dog question

SharonF
January 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Hi I'm new here and a I have a question that I don't see has been addressed.

We have a 17 year old mixed breed (german shepard/black lab - female). Over the last couple of weeks she wakes up in the middle of the night and runs all over the house. She runs into our bedroom to the living room and back then down the back stairs, out the dog door then back in. She does this for almost a half hour. I usually don't get up because I keep thinking to myself, she'll settle back down but it just goes on and on. I can't yell at her because she is deaf. And I hate to sneak up on her, where she can't hear me in the dark I'm sure I'll give her a heart attack.
My husband said she started doing this the other night when he was still up and he said it almost looks like she is chasing something. Could she be have a form of night terrors? She only does this at night. Any ideas.

mastifflover
January 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Wow she is pretty active for such a senior (wow 17) you have obviously taken very good care of her. This may be way off but they say dogs can sense energies in homes like ghosts and such Just a thought

badger
January 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Here's a recent thread about a deaf dog. It includes some links to websites that deal with deaf animals specifically.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11036

You may want to talk to your vet. At such an advanced age, she may have a little dementia. I don't know how common it is. Is she a bit out of it during the day? That could be a clue.

Good luck. Bet she's a sweetie.

PS Wow, Mastiff, didn't think of that - but why not? The solution may be a bit more complicated :).

Copper'sMom
January 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
WOW 17 years old and mobility like that!!!! That's great!! Could she be sleep walking/running???

Do ya know if she looks stressed out or frightened when she is doing this?? Or does it look like she's playing around? Is she active in the daytime at all?

glasslass
January 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I had a poodle that lived to be 18 and was also deaf. At the end, he lost his sight He would get disoriented and panic, looking for us. He would feel secure if he was on a leash at all times.

SharonF
January 12th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your replies. We have an appointment next week with our vet but I was curious in the meantime to see if anyone had run into this. I have a freeling it is probably a case of her not being able to find us at night with all the lights turned off and her not being able to hear us. Her sight certainly is not what it used to be either. Most people who see her comment on the cute puppy (she has that young look and never really acquired many white hairs) so to look at her you would never know her age. Unlike our younger dog which is a Chocolate Lab/Whipet mix. She is only 7 and looks older than our other one.

So tonight I think I'll leave on a couple of lights for her and see if that makes a difference. If not, I guess I'll wait to see what the vet says.

thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back.

Sneaky2006
January 12th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I hope leaving lights on for her does the trick!
Do you have any pics??? We all love pics here :) :love:

Bugsy
January 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Sooo true Sneaky... I'd love to see a photo too!

Wow 17... you did something right :thumbs up

I can only guess since she is deaf & cannot hear and because of the dark she cannot see... could she maybe be following a scent? Any new aromas in the house?
I'd get up and follow her next time she does this. As she enters a new room turn the lights on... & look at her. See what her reaction is. If she seems to still be looking for something... then there must be something there. Figuring out what... that's the hard part.

Maybe a mouse?

Keep us posted.