Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu Sick with upper Resp. Infection

pcarter
January 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have a shih tzu puppy that is 8 weeks old and is still with the breeder. I was suppose to bring him home last week but he was sick so I didn't. The breeder's vet put him on medicine on Saturday and I went to see him last night and he was still not acting right. He just laid around and was not very active at all. I am concerned that they might be more wrong. She is feeding him some food from the vet and rebound. He was dehydrated. He is very wobbly when he walks and his sister can knock him over very easily and she is smaller than him. Should I be concerned or does it take a while to get over this? Please help!!!!

mastifflover
January 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Yes I would be concerned for a puppy so young. Before you buy this dog I would take him to my own vet and have him checked out by someone that has nothing to gain from the sale of this pup. This pup sounds quite sick but if your vet feels that it is going to be fine then go for it. Your breeder should have no problem with this, especially if they are confident the dog is on the road to recovery.

BMDLuver
January 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
There is always concern when such a little one has a URI. If the puppy is on meds, proper diet and the assurance of proper hydration, then with care the puppy should be fine. Sorry your little one is ill.

pcarter
January 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much for your response. I am worried about him. Is it normal for a puppy with this infection to lay around like that until he gets better?

mona_b
January 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Did the breeder tell you at all what was exactly wrong with the pup?I would certainly find out what is going on.

I hope this pup will get better.

pcarter
January 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks for all your help. The puppy is doing great! He is back to his normal self and I will be picking him up today! Thanks again.