Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Sick Cat - Howling and Accidents

kellysim
January 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
:confused: Hi, I'm new here, Sorry to just jump in, but I'm worried about my 8yr male neutered cat. We recently moved (2mnths ago) to a new larger home. He adjusted pretty well the first few weeks, but then started howling every night and sometimes during the day. He also started having BMs in almost every room in the main part of the house. I also noticed he's got a pouch on his stomach close the his hind legs (not sure if it's just fat pads). He had lost weight, so took him to the vet and they tested for kidney problems, none existed. Took him back 1 month later and he gained weight back. Seems to be losing weight again. Seems to also be drinking more water than usual (1.5 to 2 bowls a day). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
January 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Did the vet do a complete blood panel on him? The excessive drinking makes me wonder if he has diabetes, not uncommon in cats that age.

The loss of litterbox training is something else and is possibly being done to show discomfort or stress of some sort. Are there any intact cats hanging around your doors or window? Is your cat spraying or is he urinating normally?

Something is definitely wrong and I hope you can find out what it is!

lezzpezz
January 12th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Is that all the vet checked him for was kidney problems? It sort of sounds as if the cat is not happy with the move and is showing his disapproval by pooping around the house. That is just one possibility. The cat seems to have alot of physical changes in a short period of time, (weight loss/gain; sudden appearance of enlarged area by hind leg; increase in water intake etc.), so I would look beyond the psychological theory of being upset from the move. I would be more suspicious of severe constipation, which would make sense of the howling at intervals during the day, because it hurts to try to pass stool. This would also account for the fact that his stool is showing up anywhere but IN the litterbox, as, when the urge finally hits, he would suddenly squat and try with all his might to pass a stool as hard as a rock! Very painful and virtually impossible at times!
Have you tried to feel the cats' tummy? Does the cat show discomfort when you try to gently palpate (feel) his abdomen? Did your vet actually try to feel if the cat was blocked in the intestines? How do the cats poops look? Regular or like little rocks? Just the same symptoms a human would go thru if they were constipated, but we treat ourselves swiftly. Pets seem to have to suffer a few days before we catch on to what ails them. If this seems to be what is happening, a trip to the vet (again) would be in order. There, a good ol' fashioned enema may be in order, followed by a diet change? and some cat laxative :yuck: to be given at prescribed times. Oh happy day. Just a theory, from past experience. Good luck and do let us know how things go.

hddlstn02
January 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM
The loss of litterbox training is something else and is possibly being done to show discomfort or stress of some sort.

I agree that this could be the problem, but you should definitly go see what your vet thinks.

I think this is so funny! *Not that it's happening to you, just that cats do it!* I read somewhere that animals do not do anything for spite.... I DO NOT AGREE! I think they do things if they're unhappy to make you unhappy & I think they know exactly what (& why) they're doing!

Example: My S-I-L has a nuetered male cat named Hopper. One nite, she was keeping our nephew, Andrew, overnite... Well, Andrew slept in her bed w/ her & she was afraid Hopper might accidentally scratch him or something, so put him out of the bedroom. The next morning she woke up to a nice pile right in front of her kitchen stove! I think this proved he did it for spite, b/c most cats will go behind something to go or somewhere less visible @ least... Not him, he WANTED her to see it, so he did it in front of the stove, where it would've been impossible for her to miss it. And, he didn't do this again until Andrew stayed the nite again! :p I just think it's hilarious how smart animals are. This is the only problem she has had w/ him... He's just obviously a very jealous cat!

So, maybe your cat is just saying, "I'm not happy, and as long as I'm not happy, you ain't gonna be happy!" :D :p Just a thought.

Good luck! :thumbs up

chico2
January 13th, 2005, 05:09 PM
The symptoms described sounds very much like my Peppi,he was found to be diabetic and was kept on insulin for a few years,he too had rapid weight-loss,not because of diabetis but cancer in his stomache....was put down at 17yrs.
I don't mean to alarm you,but the vet should definetly check for other medical problems,kidneydisease is common,but not the only thing cats can get.
If any of my cats were howling,I certainly would be very concerned.